Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That's why you bleed them even more.

If they trade him to the Rangers for a lesser package and he signs with the Dodgers anyway how is that better?

Meh, it’s very difficult to know what is actually the best return in any given scenario. If you trade him to NYY, maybe he decides he likes it there and doesn’t go to the Dodgers. 

The Orioles have enough to trade for Ohtani, but there is no way they’re going to deal away a lot of the young talent they’ve accumulated over the past four years. As they push for the playoffs, look for the Orioles to make a play for pitchers such as Jack Flaherty, Lucas Giolito, Lance Lynn, Jordan Montgomery or Marcus Stroman instead.

Bowden: The Angels should trade Shohei Ohtani. Which teams (and packages) could land him? - The Athletic

10 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

The Orioles have enough to trade for Ohtani, but there is no way they’re going to deal away a lot of the young talent they’ve accumulated over the past four years. As they push for the playoffs, look for the Orioles to make a play for pitchers such as Jack Flaherty, Lucas Giolito, Lance Lynn, Jordan Montgomery or Marcus Stroman instead.

Bowden: The Angels should trade Shohei Ohtani. Which teams (and packages) could land him? - The Athletic

But isn't part of the plan to build up an excess inventory and trade for what you need?

They have more position players ready for the majors than they have places to put them.

24 minutes ago, Paul in Virginia said:

The only one of the starting pitchers named there that I'd be interested in is Marcus Stroman. I don't think the others make any difference for our pitching staff. This season, Marcus is a difference maker.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But isn't part of the plan to build up an excess inventory and trade for what you need?

They have more position players ready for the majors than they have places to put them.

The idea was never to gon”all in” on any one year.   Excess inventory doesn’t mean blowing a load of it on one chance.

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2023 at 4:02 PM, Can_of_corn said:

The Royals sold for a cool billion so I'm guessing none of the ML ones.  No idea what a NPB or KBO team is worth.  Maybe Ohtani can buy his old team when he retires?

Wasn't that part of Nolan Ryan's compensation package with the Rangers...a piece of the team?

5 hours ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Bowden also suggests a 10-1 package for teams interested in Ohtani.  Kinda nuts.

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

The only one of the starting pitchers named there that I'd be interested in is Marcus Stroman. I don't think the others make any difference for our pitching staff. This season, Marcus is a difference maker.

Agreed. Like seriously how does Lance Lynn help us? Is that a joke that I’m not getting??

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Bowden also suggests a 10-1 package for teams interested in Ohtani.  Kinda nuts.

10 for 1 for 2 months. I guess Ohtani will remain an Angel. No one is doing that. As great as Ohtani is, I struggle to see the Angels getting half of that.

If they wanted that kind of return, they needed to trade him a lot sooner than now. Like before the season started, maybe last trade deadline.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

10 for 1 for 2 months. I guess Ohtani will remain an Angel. No one is doing that. As great as Ohtani is, I struggle to see the Angels getting half of that.

If they wanted that kind of return, they needed to trade him a lot sooner than now. Like before the season started, maybe last trade deadline.

I agree.. no way they get that

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

That would be nuts, but who knows who Bowden is hearing this from?    I still think Elias would have to give up too much to get him.   I tend to agree with @Sports Guy in that we can get almost as much production with a lot less than it would take to get Ohtani.   I'd still like us to pick up two relievers and one bat.  

5 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Lance Lynn is definitely a joke and Flaherty doesn't move the needle either, but I would be fine with Giolito or Montgomery as well.

Get one of Stroman, Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez, Giolito, or Montgomery and another 7th/8th inning reliever and lets ride.

Edited by MurphDogg

8 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Lance Lynn is definitely a joke and Flaherty doesn't move the needle either, but I would be fine with Giolito or Montgomery as well.

Get one of Stroman, Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez, Giolito, or Montgomery and another 7th/8th inning reliever and lets ride.

I like your idea. However, I think that there is a difference between Stroman/Snell/Eduardo Rodriguez and Giolito/Montgomery. I would rather have one from the first group.