Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

1 minute ago, johnrambo said:

No you don't understand. You don't pick and choose when the Constitution is a valid document. It's ALWAYS a valid document.

The First Amendment only prevents government restrictions on speech. It does not prevent restrictions on speech imposed by private individuals or businesses.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnrambo said:

Ohtani comes from Japan. They are a conservative and bashful people. Baltimore is the hood. If you wonder around 80% of Baltimore at night you are liable to get shanked. Do not trade for Ohtani. He will never resign here.

Who wanders around 80% of Baltimore at at night?  Who wanders around 80% of any American MLB city at night? 

I could see Ohtani signing with a small market team.  He's not from a big city and doesn't seem to crave the glamour and spotlight of one.  He's his own spotlight.  

He comes from Iwate Prefecture, which has a humid subtropical climate with sandy beaches to the east and mountains to the west.  Hmm...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AdleysPecks said:

I have been fairly negative on Elias’ ability to be buyers at the deadline effectively but after reading Rosenthal’s trade proposal and Orioles Twitter trade proposals, I’d rather them do nothing. Pure insanity IMO. I get it is Ohtani but no way in hell am I sending them 4 top prospects for a rental. Are people high? Go get Montgomery from the Cardinals and a couple bp arms. 

You could theoretically get a DH bat like Ohtani's and an arm like Ohtani's and still not give up as much as you would to get Ohtani.  All it would cost is an extra roster spot, which isn't as important in the playoffs with shortened pitching staffs.

Orrrrr maybe I'm wrong Idunno.

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

People around baseball are just rooting for the Angels to fleece some team.  So they can bring it up for the next twenty years how a team gave away their future for a rental that cratered in the playoffs in the first round.  They want another Hershel Walker trade.  In no way in hell am I doing that if I am Elias.  No way he treats this team like his last chance to win before his owner dies like Steinbrenner in 09.  Or the Orioles before Peter lost sense of what is happening.  

We have no pressure we should do things smart and with an eye for the long term.  

I don’t think the media is wasting its time thinking about future clickbait. They’re actively rooting for an Ohtani trade because it’s good for them (the media) and the game if the most talented, dynamic player in the league is showcased in the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I'm reminded of Russian comedian Yakov Smirnov-  "In America everyone is always bragging about Freedom of the speech....  That's not that big a deal....  In Russia we had Freedom of the speech too! "

"The difference is that in America, you have Freedom after the speech!"

1 hour ago, johnrambo said:

You sound like a guy from China or Russia.

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

If Ohtani resigns here he's going to buy a nice estate in Reisterstown or Cockeysville next to a thoroughbred horse farm like Ripken did and chill out in the burbs.  Or maybe Ellicott City if he wants to be near an Asian enclave.  He ain't comin to the city except to go to the stadium or the immediate vicinity..

Not to mention he plays for the Angels who have homeless camps actually in there parking lots.  I am pretty sure he used to how bad cities can be.  You can see the A in Angeles stadium most the ride through it and that was 5 years ago I would bet it 10 times worse now.

2 hours ago, johnrambo said:

You sound like a guy from China or Russia.

I love to stir the pot as much as the next guy but you are coming off as a troll and not an honest debater.  And about the free speech thing.  Free speech is dead.   Governments are using private companies to take away free speech.  Create monopoly's then let them do your restricting speech for you.  Clever in a 1984 way.  Rejoice you get to live in the end times of the Republic.  Enjoy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

You could theoretically get a DH bat like Ohtani's and an arm like Ohtani's and still not give up as much as you would to get Ohtani.  All it would cost is an extra roster spot, which isn't as important in the playoffs with shortened pitching staffs.

Orrrrr maybe I'm wrong Idunno.

Ohtani's ROS projections are like 3.5 to 4.5 wins.  That projected production isn't available on the trade market from any 2 players.  Nor should we be surprised that it's not available, because Ohtani's got the 2nd most offense WAR in all of MLB, and the most in the AL.

• Upvote 1

We are asked, “Why not Ohtani?”

I, in turn, point to his two-month rental status - or a little longer if the Orioles play deep into October.

Ohtani isn’t re-signing with the Orioles if they trade for him. He wants to stay on the West Coast. The Orioles won’t come close to offering the type of contract that might change his mind. To think otherwise is to admit that you haven’t paid an ounce of attention, or you’re just giddy at the thought of it happening. And that’s fine. No one invited Buzz Killington to your party.

The Orioles mouthpiece speaks….Time to close the book.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/closing-argument-on-orioles-deadline-desires

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hallas said:

Ohtani's ROS projections are like 3.5 to 4.5 wins.  That projected production isn't available on the trade market from any 2 players.  Nor should we be surprised that it's not available, because Ohtani's got the 2nd most offense WAR in all of MLB, and the most in the AL.

I doubt the Angels are selling anyone. They are what, 3 games out of the WC?