Do we have enough hitting to win?

doccat

We all know we could use an ACE/TOR pitcher…. But our offense is inconsistent.  And it seems like we have a lot of “sometimes” hitters but not we don’t really have many hitters who are consistent…

production from middle of the order seems lacking in particular….

1 minute ago, doccat said:

We all know we could use an ACE/TOR pitcher…. But our offense is inconsistent.  And it seems like we have a lot of “sometimes” hitters but not we don’t really have many hitters who are consistent…

production from middle of the order seems lacking in particular….

The  most obvious upgrade available is at first base.

1 minute ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I was hoping Tony would play there more. Outside of O’hearn, who would replace him? Are you thinking Westburg?

I hope that Mountcastle starts hitting better.

I'm just looking at the team rationally.  The only spots that we could realistically see a major offensive upgrade would be at 1b and SS.

Mateo at SS brings a lot of things to the team that perhaps forgive his bat.  He was also looking like an MVP candidate four weeks ago.  I think he gets more time, but you might see Ortiz there in the second half of the season if Mateo doesn't start hitting.

Mountcastle offers nothing besides his bat and it has been very poor this year for a first baseman.  It's the easiest and most logical place to upgrade the lineup.  What that looks like is open to debate.

Does that mean Santander at first, and Cowser in the OF?  Does it mean Westburg at 1b?  Urias?  An O'Hearn platoon?  IDK.  But running Mountcastle out there every single day is becoming less tenable as he continues subpar production.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I think they have enough offense.    Cowser is coming and Westburg will be up as soon as Frazier is traded in July.   They are probably both improvements.

People like to rag on Mountcastle and he deserves it for his averages.  But he leads the O's in homers with 11 and is tied with Ohtani for 12th in the AL in RBI.    Improvement on that front may be hard to find.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

People like to rag on Mountcastle and he deserves it for his averages.  But he leads the O's in homers with 11 and is tied with Ohtani for 12th in the AL in RBI.    Improvement on that front may be hard to find.

Thank you. I'm critical (and frustrated) of Mountcastle's undisciplined approach at the plate as anyone else is, but I think all the hate he gets around here has gone way too far and is unwarranted. The Home Runs and RBIs cannot be discarded and ignored the way his critics tend to do. And his defense is much better than he's being given credit for with how many bad throws he's been scooping out of the dirt.

The Orioles need another Santader type of hitter or better to ADD to the lineup. Not subtract by taking Mountcastle out of it. They need to add to them.

24 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I hope that Mountcastle starts hitting better.

I'm just looking at the team rationally.  The only spots that we could realistically see a major offensive upgrade would be at 1b and SS.

Mateo at SS brings a lot of things to the team that perhaps forgive his bat.  He was also looking like an MVP candidate four weeks ago.  I think he gets more time, but you might see Ortiz there in the second half of the season if Mateo doesn't start hitting.

Mountcastle offers nothing besides his bat and it has been very poor this year for a first baseman.  It's the easiest and most logical place to upgrade the lineup.  What that looks like is open to debate.

Does that mean Santander at first, and Cowser in the OF?  Does it mean Westburg at 1b?  Urias?  An O'Hearn platoon?  IDK.  But running Mountcastle out there every single day is becoming less tenable as he continues subpar production.

I think its the easiest and most logical unless you are the Orioles. And even then they would probably just obsess over a platoon