Mountcastle back, Zimmermann down

deward

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Can't you folks read?

Where did I say I want him getting at bats today?

Go ahead, show me!

Where did I say I'm in favor of him getting called up today?

Go ahead, show me!

What I said is the amount of angst over this move is ridiculous.

Folks are acting like he's the worst player in the league and beyond all hope of ever doing anything useful on the field again.

No. You implied that it’s ridiculous to even consider not having him on the roster. I was just asking you where you thought he fit on the major league team.

Calm down dude. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

No. You implied that it’s ridiculous to even consider not having him on the roster. I was just asking you where you thought he fit on the major league team.

Calm down dude. 

No I didn't.

I even said "I would have been fine if they had kept him down"

If I said that how could I possibly be implying that it's ridiculous to even consider not having him on the roster?

The answer is, I wasn't implying that.

You were misrepresenting my view.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No I didn't.

I even said "I would have been fine if they had kept him down"

If I said that how could I possibly be implying that it's ridiculous to even consider not having him on the roster?

The answer is, I wasn't implying that.

You were misrepresenting my view.

You said the following: 

1. He isn't a platoon bat, him hitting better VS LHP is a recent thing and SSS.
  2. Elias and company are not going to weigh his performance this season over his career numbers.  His career 1400 AB with an OPS+ of 110 mean more than the 89 OPS+ he put up over 242 AB this season.

Then you finished it off with "You folks are better than this".  I would interpret this as meaning he absolutely deserves a spot on the major league roster given his past performance and that he shouldn't be platooned with O'Hearn.  Also, opinions to the contrary are beneath the quality expected at this web site.

So that's what I was questioning.  If that's not what you meant then MY BAD, but I don't think I'm the only one who took what you said that way.  Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you over what you meant to say, but maybe you need to take a step back before you attack posters over replying to your condescending posts.  

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Things are going pretty well, when the worst player in the entire organization can come in and pinch hit a triple in his first AB back from IL.  

RMC singled (with a RBI)--Westburg is the one who tripled.

• Upvote 1

Hyde indicated that O'Hearn will play vs righties.   That makes Mountcastle a platoon 1B vs lefties.

O's play the Marlins after the break and will probably face two lefty starters in Luzardo and Garrett.  That could be one of the  reasons Mountcastle was called up.

O's don't need a 5th starter until the 5th game after the break.  They probably go with 4 starters and 8 relievers including Irvin until that 5th game when GRod is brought up to start.   At that point the O's will have to subtract a position player.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Some of us aren't better than this.  His defense at 1B is very poor for a former shortstop or at least 3B.  His total lack of patience at the plate costs the O's runs in key situations.  I would be happy if the O's traded him for an average 17 year old Dominican prospect.

He has an .816 OPS with runners in scoring position.  If he was the one costing us runs, then what did our two All-stars whose OPs is .653 and .635 in those situations do.  

I'm kind of feeling having a deep, active bench. People often want there to be a clear distinction between "starters" and "bench" players, but I like the idea of having platoons and using the full bench. The team is playing well, let's just enjoy it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Hyde indicated that O'Hearn will play vs righties.   That makes Mountcastle a platoon 1B vs lefties.

O's play the Marlins after the break and will probably face two lefty starters in Luzardo and Garrett.  That could be one of the  reasons Mountcastle was called up.

O's don't need a 5th starter until the 5th game after the break.  They probably go with 4 starters and 8 relievers including Irvin until that 5th game when GRod is brought up to start.   At that point the O's will have to subtract a position player.

Why do you think they yank Irvin out of rotation coming off his best start? 

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why do you think they yank Irvin out of rotation coming off his best start? 

The O's needs to boost their relievers.    IMO Irvin has a better chance of being successful in the pen than GRod does.   GRod is ready for a promotion.   GRod has a high ceiling  as a starter and his best way to be successful is as a starter.  JMO.

Irvin is not the total answer to improve the pen but he may be part of the solution.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would have been fine if they had kept him down until he showed more at AA that being said.

1. He isn't some butcher at first base like some contend.  The data doesn't support that claim. 
  2. He isn't a platoon bat, him hitting better VS LHP is a recent thing and SSS.
  3. Elias and company are not going to weigh his performance this season over his career numbers.  His career 1400 AB with an OPS+ of 110 mean more than the 89 OPS+ he put up over 242 AB this season.

You folks are better than this.

I would have waited until he heated up.  But, now that he’s back, I’ll hope he does well.  

I know today’s move was to send down Zimmermann, btw that’s just for today.  They’re going to pare down to 13 position players again, so who goes down?

7 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Well Corn, I can't believe that I'm on your side with this one, and the over-reaction.  It's not they said they're putting in the lineup everyday and batting 4th.

If he's in the lineup against lefties and hits like he has hit them in the past, what's the problem with that folks?   

If he sees a lot of time vs. righties and does what he always does, then we can all start second guessing it.  This is JUST a roster move, guys.

Like he always does?  Last year over the course of the entire season he OPSed 48 points higher vs RHP than LHP. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Happy to see him get a hit and an RBI today. 

If he’s a platoon against lefties I can deal with that. I just don’t want it coming at the expense of a guy like Westburg or Cowser. 

I don't think anybody does, but Elias and Co. are simply not going to arbitrarily jettison a home-grown, formerly productive player especially coming off an injury.  That last part means he gets a fair shot at proving he can still contribute at the same level as before.  However, if Westburg or Cowser gets sent down I'll help lead the march on the Warehouse.