Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Hall, Norby, Stowers and Willems for Ohtani

A reliever, a guy who can barely scratch out .800 OPS in AAA, a guy who might be ok at COF, and a catching prospect. I don't think this comes close to be honest. But I don't think they're trading him anyway. 

At the very least you need to add a guy who still has SP projection in him, like Povich. 

57 minutes ago, interloper said:

For me I'd rather trade for Bednar if the Pirates decide to listen to offers. More years of control. 

Though Bednar has be absolutely ELITE this year and would give our bp a 1-2 punch unrivaled in the game, relief pitching is still are very volatile commadity and things can dramatically change from one year to the next. Plus there is a factor of injuries that is present and probably inevitable to a degree with almost all pitchers. 

IMO years of control are not that valuable for most pitchers and definitely relievers because who they are today is probably not who you can expect them to be tomorrow (as in next season and seasons of control beyond). 

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

A reliever, a guy who can barely scratch out .800 OPS in AAA, a guy who might be ok at COF, and a catching prospect. I don't think this comes close to be honest. But I don't think they're trading him anyway. 

At the very least you need to add a guy who still has SP projection in him, like Povich. 

I can just as easily say the opposite and make the deal sound better.

I don’t think they trade him either and maybe someone gives them a better headliner but that’s a very strong package for 2+ months of a guy.

1 top 100 guy, another who could be top 100 soon and 2 ML ready options, both with first division starter upside.

They get 3 plug and play guys and another long term high upside asset. That’s a lot for a rental, Ohtani or not,

For me, that’s about the best I would offer and if I don’t get him, I’m ok.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I can just as easily say the opposite and make the deal sound better.

I don’t think they trade him either and maybe someone gives them a better headliner but that’s a very strong package for 2+ months of a guy.

1 top 100 guy, another who could be top 100 soon and 2 ML ready options, both with first division starter upside.

They get 3 plug and play guys and another long term high upside asset. That’s a lot for a rental, Ohtani or not,

For me, that’s about the best I would offer and if I don’t get him, I’m ok.

Fair argument and I agree that I'm not offering too much more than that. I might throw in Rom if it gets it done. 

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Though Bednar has be absolutely ELITE this year and would give our bp a 1-2 punch unrivaled in the game, relief pitching is still are very volatile commadity and things can dramatically change from one year to the next. Plus there is a factor of injuries that is present and probably inevitable to a degree with almost all pitchers. 

IMO years of control are not that valuable for most pitchers and definitely relievers because who they are today is probably not who you can expect them to be tomorrow (as in next season and seasons of control beyond). 

Relievers are volatile, sure, but he's done it for 3 straight years and his stuff and peripherals back it up. It's about as steady and sure-fire as you could ask for. This is no Bryan Baker. 

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

Relievers are volatile, sure, but he's done it for 3 straight years and his stuff and peripherals back it up. It's about as steady and sure-fire as you could ask for. This is no Bryan Baker. 

He's definitely much closer to the Bautista side of the ledger than an averageish bp arm like Baker.

How about a Tarik Skubal from DET? He’s now made 4 effective starts in July, with good fastball velo. He’s presumably healthy. Still under control for 3 more years after this one. DET isn’t likely to be keen to move him for that reason, so it would take a lot, but I like him more than Mitch Keller and he’d cost less than Logan Gilbert. 

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

John Means for Jordan Montgomery.

It'll be interesting to see how much STL structures return (or not) to protect their '24 Goldy/Arenado roster.

Means is only under control through next year, no?  This doesn’t sound like a potential match.

7 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

I still think that Hader/Snell makes the most sense.  What package get them?  What about Mountcastle and Povich?

This is deal makes the most sense. TOR and RP who can fill in as CP as well (plus prior org connection and Snell experience in AL East). 

But to make a deal, Pads have to be willing. Tons of time left.