Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

Not a ton of high-end targets, but among teams that are definitely going to sell, there are a lot of decent middle relief options with CHW, STL, and COL.

I’ve mentioned Chris Stratton (STL) before, and the one that really intrigues me is LHP Aaron Bummer (CHW). His ERA is absolutely awful this year (6.82), but literally everything else says this guy is a high-end reliever. From 2019-2022, his combined ERA was 2.59, with a 3.12 FIP.

And although the results have been miserable this season, all the peripherals say he’s still really good. His xERA is 2.92, his FIP is 2.35, and his xFIP is 3.20. The 3rd largest gap between ERA and FIP in the last 15+ years.

He has an extremely high BABIP (.355) and a shockingly, impossibly low strand rate (47.1%). That’s the second lowest strand rate in the last 15 years (behind 2015 Mike Morin’s 44.4%). His career average in that area was around 74% coming into the season, so it’s not like the guy is just incapable of pitching with men on base.

It seems crazy to propose trading for a guy with an ERA of nearly 7, but I think the guy might actually be an excellent pitcher with an unbelievably bad run of results this year. If anyone has the stones to trade for a guy with a stat line that bad in a pennant race, it might be Mike Elias. Could he be a throw-in as part of a Cease deal?

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Angels got Gioloto and Lopez for 2 of their best prospects but prospects outside the top 100.

Quero is top 100. MLB Pipeline has him at 65, Fangraphs has him at 61.

The equivalent Orioles trade package would be Ortiz and McDermott, in my opinion.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

The Angels are now going to go into the off-season with no top-100 prospects, no league average starters, 3 potentially league average or better hitters under team control for several years (Moniak, Neto, and O'Hoppe) and Mike Trout. They are a total teardown.

23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The Angels are now going to go into the off-season with no top-100 prospects, no league average starters, 3 potentially league average or better hitters under team control for several years (Moniak, Neto, and O'Hoppe) and Mike Trout. They are a total teardown.

Agree with this take. Wish I was a fly on the wall to the Angels upper management discussions of this decision. Angels have a slim chance to make the playoffs, very slim to advance in any significant fashion. What in the hell are they thinking? That if they do make a wild card appearance that Ohtani will be awed and enamored so much that he re-signs? And others see the Angels as a destination that will do whatever it takes to win? Whatever. Angels could have sold Ohtani off for a haul. Kept their prospects, and rebooted. Now, if they fail in the playoffs (if they even make it), they're faced with what MurphDogg said above. If I was a fan. I'd be scratching my head, and would not be pleased.

51 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The equivalent Orioles trade package would be Ortiz and McDermott, in my opinion.

That seems equitable.

If nothing else, this will probably set the bar on pricing. Let’s see where it goes.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Or Norby. Connor Norby is litterly ranked 1 spot ahead of Quero on MLB Pipeline 

64. Norby

64. Quero

Then it can probably wiggle around a bunch of different ways in the 2nd player.

1 hour ago, Ridgway22 said:

Angels could have sold Ohtani off for a haul. Kept their prospects, and rebooted. Now, if they fail in the playoffs (if they even make it), they're faced with what MurphDogg said above. If I was a fan. I'd be scratching my head, and would not be pleased.

I think that was true last season or in the offseason, but I suspect the Angels realized they would not get what they were wanted for 2 months of Ohtani.  So they changed course and decided to go for broke instead.  Still I think most Angels fans love the move even if it feels hopelessly too little too late to anyone not an Angels fan.  They could get a few unlikely lucky breaks and somehow get in.

1 hour ago, Ridgway22 said:

Angels could have sold Ohtani off for a haul. Kept their prospects, and rebooted. Now, if they fail in the playoffs (if they even make it), they're faced with what MurphDogg said above. If I was a fan. I'd be scratching my head, and would not be pleased.

I think that was true last season or in the offseason, but I suspect the Angels realized they would not get what they were wanted for 2 months of Ohtani.  So they changed course and decided to go for broke instead.  Still I think most Angels fans love the move even if it feels hopelessly too little too late to anyone not an Angels fan.  They could get a few unlikely lucky breaks and somehow get in.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Or Norby. Connor Norby is litterly ranked 1 spot ahead of Quero on MLB Pipeline 

64. Norby

64. Quero

Then it can probably wiggle around a bunch of different ways in the 2nd player.

Hard to know with this one.  Quero is a catcher and the White Sox really might have valued that to the point where the Orioles would have to give up too much to make up for it or were asked for Basallo. Or maybe the Orioles weren’t even in the bidding. Hard to know. 

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

maybe this sparks a nats 2019 run.  

The Angels seem in emergency mode.  The owner seems emotionally invested.  He was going to sell the team but pulled back for whatever reason.  Now he is going all in on a team not really built to win long term.  I guess he can see the rebuild is near.  This is their ownly chance to win.  

Trout seems to be injured all the time now.  They seem destined to end up cratering hard soon.  

Desperation move by the Angels but I can’t blame them.  All in with Ohtani makes sense.  They were in a lose lose and they decided to roll the dice and come up 7.    Going to look real bad if they don’t make it which is still a longshot.   Giolito is ok but it’s not like they picked Sandy Koufax.  We’ll see.