2023 3rd Round Pick (#86): Kiefer Lord - RHP - (Jr) Washington (WA)

43 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Sounds like the same mold as Baumeister. College arm but with lots of projectability and not the performance track record. 

I've mostly given up trying to tell much from NCAA track record down the draft as some dude who only threw 60-ish innings their entire college career with a 4.50-ish ERA named Spencer Strider is doing kind of okay in the show.

Thousands of 19-21 year olds throw some pitches fast, and maybe its a feature not a bug if too much mileage doesn't get put on the Arm.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here is a good article on mlb.com. Basically, he was throwing 75 in HS and went to a small school. He couldn’t get coaching because of the Pandemic. So he watched YouTube and taught himself about pitch mechanics. He started throwing 95 and went to UW for better competition after pitching two years at a small school. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-draft-pitcher-kiefer-lord-in-third-round-of-2023-mlb-draft

That is insane, and also makes me root for him more!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here is a good article on mlb.com. Basically, he was throwing 75 in HS and went to a small school. He couldn’t get coaching because of the Pandemic. So he watched YouTube and taught himself about pitch mechanics. He started throwing 95 and went to UW for better competition after pitching two years at a small school. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-draft-pitcher-kiefer-lord-in-third-round-of-2023-mlb-draft

Gotta like this pick based on this story alone. Driven kid, obviously coachable. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta like this pick based on this story alone. Driven kid, obviously coachable. 

Yup. Excited to see him next year after he has a full offseason of instruction. He could be the guy that our pitching gurus can hang their hats on. 

I won’t just be glossing over the pitchers next year when I box score scroll. 

• Upvote 1

I am excited about this kid, but we also shouldn't pretend that he hasn't gotten any professional instruction. He was in a D1 program after he did all of the work himself.  There also has to be some concern that his increases came too fast and he will get injured.  Wouldn't cause me not to pick him, but there does seem to be some correlation between big velo increases and injury.  

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

I was just about to post this and saw Frobby already did.  University of Washington.

I wish I could correct it unless the veteran posters know something I don't about modifying the thread name?