There should be more skills competitions at the All Star game besides just the home-run derby

GuidoSarducci

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

When I was a kid, my buddies and I would have home run robbery competitions where we would have a fielder start at a line and one of us would toss a ball from about 20 feet from the backyard fence so that it would just clear the fence.  The fielder would run and jump up the fence to try and rob the home run.

Reminds me of a game we did as kids called Goal Line Stand. 3 guys would line up and one guy would try to vault over them for a TD. Sometimes we'd play it indoors and have the bed as the endzone. 

Probably not good for the AS Game though. Maybe a pie eating contest or hot dogs. 

Edited by NashLumber

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

Used to love when the Orioles would play charity basketball games against local school faculty members.  Awesome time.  Palmer and Murray were excellent.

I went to at least one of those at Howard High School, Ellicott City.  Palmer was done doing that by the time I went.  Eddie was there but don't remember who else.

3 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Reminds me of a game we did as kids called Goal Line Stand. 3 guys would line up and one guy would try to vault over them for a TD. Sometimes we'd play it indoors and have the bed as the endzone. 

Probably not good for the AS Game though. Maybe a pie eating contest or hot dogs. 

My brothers and would do the exact same thing.  I have 4 older brothers. Two would be O linemen blocking, 2 would be D lineman, and I was always the ball carrier and got the crap beat out of me.  The goal line was the sofa in the basement.   I would get a running start and try to jump over the pile.

In another thread I'll have to tell you about playing William Tell with a soda can balanced on my head while they tried to shoot it off with BB guns.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Perhaps they could play a 9-inning game where the hitters attempt to hit the ball, the fielders try to catch the ball and the pitchers try to strike guys out.  

Why that's crazy talk. Be careful, you might start a revolution with that!

Edited by O's84

17 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I was just joking, I think he’ll be okay. He recovered from Adam Duvall, and that game mattered.

The one guy I constantly see being (too) hard on himself is Gunnar. 

Gunnar does put on a show.  He needs to relax a little.  He's got incredible talent.  I'd play him at SS all day.

Edited by Baltimorecuse
add info