Monday July 17: Dodgers in town for 3

SteveA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I would be pretty happy with that outcome and I think it's realistic. I'm not sure what the Rangers would want for Scherzer. Maybe Beavers or Bradfield? I believe he would need to waive his no-trade. That could be the biggest issue. We will have an opportunity to scout him first hand tomorrow. 
    • With a Major League that is this good combined with a farm system that is this loaded, I am not very comfortable with the idea of relying on a player to have be “gutsy” in order to be successful. I would rather just acquire a player who has the talent to be successful. To me, it is important to make additions with a high floor in order to improve our chances.  We tried the high risk/high reward/low cost acquisitions last year and they flopped and proved to be a net ZERO. 
    • Elias brought him in because he was basically free- a waiver claim making the league minimum. He's making over $2 million now and will only get more expensive from here. No rebuilding team is going to squander part of the value of their trade chips to acquire him instead of a prospect with a higher ceiling and more control.
    • This schedule is brutal until after the All Star Break. The O's have 2 July off days before the All Star break, but they bookend a West Coast Trip It eases up after the All Star Break up until the Trade Deadline.  I think Elias is probably trying to play .500 baseball up until the all star break. His guys will finally rest, they will hopefully be playing winning baseball up until July 31, and he can take his time making the right pitching moves at the best costs.  He might have to trade for a back end starter for some depth to make sure they make it through July though. I think the big splash is coming, but I don't think it will be until the deadline bc he's gonna bargain
    • To get to the playoffs?  Any model you look at gives the Orioles greater than a 95% probability to make the playoffs.  I think all the talk of a starter is the focus on the ups and downs of the team over the last several weeks.  This team has a +110 run differential.  Does anyone think the Phillies or Dodgers are not going to make the playoffs? The Orioles are in the exact same situation as them as far as making the playoffs.  Only difference is they don't have a team like the Yankees in their division.  The more balanced schedule though means that fact does not impact our ability to be a playoff team. This team should be focused on what it needs to be successful in the playoffs.  To me that clearly is arms in the bullpen that can dominate a game after 5-6 innings from your starter.  Who starts Game 3 of a playoff series is not a significant determination of playoff success.  That guy may only get 4 starts in an entire postseason run even if every series went the distance.
    • We will see, either way I think Urias will be in another uniform before long.  I have enjoyed having him in an O's uniform and he made an impact in turning this team around but it is time for the uber talented youth to take over. 
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now