Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

What this trade tells me is that Cleveland is looking to move Bieber, and it's possible that the Orioles are one of the (many) teams they are talking to. They essentially just got pitching depth and they still need middle infielders and bats to improve their lineup.

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

What this trade tells me is that Cleveland is looking to move Bieber, and it's possible that the Orioles are one of the (many) teams they are talking to. They essentially just got pitching depth and they still need middle infielders and bats to improve their lineup.

And why exactly would we trade for a pitcher on the 60 day IL?

My guess is Cleveland might try to flip one of  their young SPs for India, who’s infinitely better than anyone we should be willing to trade.  

24 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

And why exactly would we trade for a pitcher on the 60 day IL?

My guess is Cleveland might try to flip one of  their young SPs for India, who’s infinitely better than anyone we should be willing to trade.  

If that truly is their plan we probably aren’t a match. India is 1.1 WAR player so far this year and Negative .3 last year after a very good rookie year. That’s 772 ABs over the last 2 seasons he’s .81? So I think I’d be concerned about a period that’s behind a SSS. FWIW, Mateo is worth quite a bit more over that period and only .4 less this season than India. Frazier is worth more! 

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Shane Bieber is out of the question now he's moved from the 15 day IL to the 60 day and won't be back until September.

Agree with @Winteron getting De Los Santos.

Shane Bieber injury update: Guardians ace out until September with elbow inflammation

The Cleveland Guardians on Monday moved right-handed ace Shane Bieber from the 15-day injured list to the 60-day IL. The moves cleared a spot on the 40-man roster for the club and also means that Bieber will be sidelined until September with inflammation in his throwing elbow. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Shane Bieber is out of the question now he's moved from the 15 day IL to the 60 day and won't be back until September.

Agree with @Winteron getting De Los Santos.

Shane Bieber injury update: Guardians ace out until September with elbow inflammation

Thanks for the update. I must have been offline or totally oblivious to the rest of the league the day that happened.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Absolutely not. Terrible deal. 

Yup.  I'd veto that as well.

1 fairly good and 1 bad rental for 2 months each.  Plus they'll owe Kelly another $1M buyout at the end of the season or pay him $9.5M in 2024.

And neither of these guys is suddenly going to be able to throw lefthanded, which is the O's big need.

Elias does not seem an "all in" type of GM.  With his already established idea the Orioles will be a draft and development team I see him looking to make trades that help us in the long term.  I think he will not over spend for a rental. 

He also said we were going to start "spending" in the off season and we did not get much.  This makes me believe his talk of "buying"  at the deadline will be frugal and well thought.  Maybe even bargain basement type moves. 

42 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Lucas was just traded to the Angels. I would rather take a chance at EROD if we could sign him to new deal...

Does extending Rodriguez really make sense? He’s 30, he’s had injury troubles and he’s pitching well above his career averages. Seems like an ideal rental - ride the hot hand, then move on.

15 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Does extending Rodriguez really make sense? He’s 30, he’s had injury troubles and he’s pitching well above his career averages. Seems like an ideal rental - ride the hot hand, then move on.

Eduardo is already on a big contract. He's in the 2nd year of a $77 Million contract. He has an opt out at the end of the year, but with the amount of money he's making, it's in his best interest to NOT opt out and so that he's guaranteed the nearly $50 million of his remaining contract. With his career sample size I don't know of that many clubs who would be willing to pay better than that, especially not the Angelos ownership group.

I think Ed-Rod's big money contract combined with his mediocre career numbers from many years of a sample size, will be a big deterrent from ever appearing in an Orioles uniform.

18 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Eduardo is already on a big contract. He's in the 2nd year of a $77 Million contract. He has an opt out at the end of the year, but with the amount of money he's making, it's in his best interest to NOT opt out and so that he's guaranteed the nearly $50 million of his remaining contract. With his career sample size I don't know of that many clubs who would be willing to pay better than that, especially not the Angelos ownership group.

I think Ed-Rod's big money contract combined with his mediocre career numbers from many years of a sample size, will be a big deterrent from ever appearing in an Orioles uniform.

He’ll opt out and do even better.  That’s in his best interests.  The fact that it’s not a guarantee that he’ll do that, and declines the opt out and accepts the rest of the 3/49 complicates matters but if he finishes the season healthy that’s not happening.   A LHP who got a big contact before, having a really good season.  He’s going to do better than 3/49 on the open market.