Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Saw this thread was hot, come in here and find out you guys can’t reply to each other correctly wtf 

The Elias Warehouse doesn't leak, the owner is a cheap POS, and the SigBot is a little too attached to his toys.  There's nothing to actually discuss but it's fun to speculate.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

I'd rather it be someone else like Ortiz 

I keep seeing this on here.

Why do people prefer Westburg over Ortiz?  Does Westburg do anything better than Ortiz (MAYBE more power)?

Btw, I’m not trying to knock Westburg, just trying to figure that out as it seems to be the prevailing thought on here.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

In the Athletic,  Jim Bowden proposes Edward Cabrera from Marlins for Jordan Westburg 

Career 4.19 ERA (4.74 this year), high walk rate, struggles to complete 5 innings. I'm not seeing how this guy would be an upgrade. Hard no for me if the price is a top 100 prospect.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Career 4.19 ERA (4.74 this year), high walk rate, struggles to complete 5 innings. I'm not seeing how this guy would be an upgrade. Hard no for me if the price is a top 100 prospect.

I think he has good "stuff", he just lacks command.  I don't think he's a guy you target in a pennant race, but possibly one you'd target in the off-season. 

2 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Off the top of my head: Acuna, Franco, Carroll, Kirby, and Strider. I'd guess there are about 15 guys in baseball I'd trade Holliday for taking into account service time and our cheap ownership. Adley and Gunnar are two of them. It's a good time to be an Orioles fan.

Good first list. Add Elly and Julio. McLanahan, Eury Perez, and Matt McClain would be "who says no" guys. That's 12. Maybe Murphy, Riley, and Harris to get 15?

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do people prefer Westburg over Ortiz?  Does Westburg do anything better than Ortiz (MAYBE more power)?

Btw, I’m not trying to knock Westburg, just trying to figure that out as it seems to be the prevailing thought on here.

I guess it's more that I've liked what I've seen out off westy so far. If the tables were turned and Ortiz was getting the pt showing he could be a real piece, maybe I'd feel different. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Teams aren't going to get serious until right before the deadline.

I thought we might start seeing some action today/tonight.  There are lots of teams off today and with a couple of them having big series this weekend thought they might try to jump start their team for these games.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Now the Padres are back to taking calls for Hader and Snell, and even allow a 10% opportunity for teams to make a trade for Soto.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rumors-trades-and-signings?t=trades-and-transactions

I don't think the Padres even know what they want to do. Because what they want to do (win the World Series) is not a possibility and the owner gathered all this debt a year ago thinking it would be easy.  They could also be attempted some haggling tactics to drive up the price for any would-be suitors who are interested in mentioned players.

What would Hader and Snell cost? They are rentals but would love to sign either.  
Would Povich and another prospect maybe do it for Hader? 

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Edward Cabrera is a really good upside arm.  Not sure it makes much sense now but in the off season trading position capital for a pitcher like this makes perfect sense.   

We don't need upside, we need someone to win us a world series right now. I don't think Cabrera is that guy. I would rather sign someone in the offseason than trade a top 100 guy who is already having MLB success for a project. Would he even make our active roster right now? I would be offering Prieto-plus. 

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

For me, at least, a general feeling that Westburg's offensive game will have more impact in the majors than Ortiz's. I think Ortiz settles in as a guy who hits .280 with 10-15 home runs; pretty good for a shortstop with a strong glove, but not so impactful elsewhere. I think Westburg will bring the better bat, and I haven't seen anything that makes me think the defensive gap between the two at 2b is significant. 

Ortiz brings his best value at SS, where the O's aren't going to need him.