Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

36 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I'd pay up for Verlander and Raley. It makes too much sense. At least if NYM eats a good chunk of the salary. 

Why can’t we just pay our fair share of the salary? We aren’t paying anyone else. The roster is only going to get more expensive as time goes on especially if we hope to compete with the best consistently. As we are seeing, other teams are not going to stand pat even in the future.

10 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Before his last start, Bradish would have had the 8th lowest ERA for a starting pitcher in baseball if he qualified. And he's very close to qualifying.

I'm totally fine with it. There literally aren't many possible improvements.

Totally agree. Bradish is a respectable #1 starter in my book. The problem is he can't pitch every game.

10 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Before his last start, Bradish would have had the 8th lowest ERA for a starting pitcher in baseball if he qualified. And he's very close to qualifying.

I'm totally fine with it. There literally aren't many possible improvements.

And then what happens game 2? 3? 

IMO we simply don’t have enough pitching talent to reasonably be confident.

But what will concern me more is if we stand pay and do nothing. That action or should I say in action will speak volumes.

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why can’t we just pay our fair share of the salary? We aren’t paying anyone else. The roster is only going to get more expensive as time goes on especially if we hope to compete with the best consistently. As we are seeing, other teams are not going to stand pat even in the future.

Because we have to be honest with ourselves that our asshat owner isn't paying for jack.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Latest On Justin Verlander

By Steve Adams | July 30, 2023 at 5:50pm CDT

Following the Mets’ trade of Max Scherzer to the Rangers led to further increased speculation about a trade of fellow high-priced, multi-time Cy Young winner Justin Verlander. Several teams have been tied to the nine-time All-Star, including the Rangers, Astros and Dodgers. However, Andy Martino of SNY reports that the Mets value Verlander much differently than Scherzer. They’ve placed a higher asking price in terms of prospects and aren’t willing to pay down salary to the same extent they were in order to move Scherzer.

7 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

Latest On Justin Verlander

By Steve Adams | July 30, 2023 at 5:50pm CDT

Following the Mets’ trade of Max Scherzer to the Rangers led to further increased speculation about a trade of fellow high-priced, multi-time Cy Young winner Justin Verlander. Several teams have been tied to the nine-time All-Star, including the Rangers, Astros and Dodgers. However, Andy Martino of SNY reports that the Mets value Verlander much differently than Scherzer. They’ve placed a higher asking price in terms of prospects and aren’t willing to pay down salary to the same extent they were in order to move Scherzer.

Nice size font!

My point is still the same, for a team paying no one (with the 2nd lowest payroll in the sport with the best record in their league) salary structure just shouldn’t be any kind of serious concern, especially for such a short term deal.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

As much as I really like the season that Bradish has had, please forgive me if I am not exactly excited about that possibility and shudder to think about what that means for our future in terms of the org’s willingness to improve the team regardless of how close we are to having a legit shot at making a deep run.

Even if they make an acquisition at this point, it’s unlikely that the new arm will be on a tier different than Bradish’s. Snell, maybe, is the only guy out there that is both better and presumably attainable, though it seems less and less likely every day that he’s going to get traded.

29 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Nice size font!

My point is still the same, for a team paying no one (with the 2nd lowest payroll in the sport with the best record in their league) salary structure just shouldn’t be any kind of serious concern, especially for such a short term deal.

But it is. And it will be. No matter how many times you say it shouldn’t be.

This is how the team is being run. Not a whole lot we can do about it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FlipTheBird said:

Even if they make an acquisition at this point, it’s unlikely that the new arm will be on a tier different than Bradish’s. Snell, maybe, is the only guy out there that is both better and presumably attainable, though it seems less and less likely every day that he’s going to get traded.

Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Verlander are all guys who could start game 1 credibly.

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Verlander are all guys who could start game 1 credibly.

Verlander isn’t coming here.

Whether or not Snell is available… is oddly still unknown. That one’s intriguing. 

E-Rod… well, I know you’re higher on him than me. I think he’d be a perfectly adequate addition and would help a playoff rotation but would see minimal difference in starting him against another team’s ace, versus KB. 6 of one, half dozen of the other for me.