Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

Just now, ledzepp8 said:

Even if that's true, that would seem to be a semantics argument. He's on basically every Orioles broadcast doing O's Extra pre and post, in game interviews, drop ins, etc. When Britt asked him on the radio spot posted earlier, he said he worked for MASN.

It's an important distinction when he's discussing what rules he has and hasn't been directed on by ownership. I'm not trying to disparage Rob Long, just adding more context as to why it's ridiculous to disregard these rumors just because Rob Long doesn't have firsthand knowledge of what's happening. Iit was also said as an aside and not the point of my post at all. Do you disagree that the incident has been reported and confirmed by multiple very reliable sources? That's what I was responding to/getting at.

48 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

No one in their right mind would pick up Brown to do their broadcasts. Sorry but baseball announcers are nice (if they stick to baseball) but replacable. NO ORGANIZATION needs a diva who causes problems for their employer.  He should find another line or work.  This is not the place for "social influencers" or the Kardashians groupies.   Please remember that there have been a series of different broadcasters for the O's this year.  It might just be as simple as they felt his style was not where they wanted to be going.  That is okay, but all the drama queens got themselves involved.

Kevin Brown = The Kardashians? 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

It's an important distinction when he's discussing what rules he has and hasn't been directed on by ownership. I'm not trying to disparage Rob Long, just adding more context as to why it's ridiculous to disregard these rumors just because Rob Long doesn't have firsthand knowledge of what's happening. Iit was also said as an aside and not the point of my post at all. Do you disagree that the incident has been reported and confirmed by multiple very reliable sources? That's what I was responding to/getting at.

Oh, I agree that there's a story here. I agree that reporters are hearing and reporting on the same rumor. My opinion is that there has to be more to it. I can't buy that this rumored reason, is the reason. It just seems unfathomable. Could it be the reason? Sure. It just doesn't make sense to me. It would have been one thing if KB said something to the effect of, "Perhaps if the Orioles had been spending more money, they could have been playing better against the Rays in previous years.". That I could see the owner taking offense to but for simply reading a prompter discussing an on-screen graphic about an improved w/l record at a particular venue. I don't get it. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe KB and the crew were told not to put the graphic up and talk about the record (for whatever asinine reason) and did so anyway and he's the fall guy. I could almost buy that even though it's stupid. Obviously, Roy's source seems to be KB and seemingly this is the reason he is giving for said suspension (or at least how he's spinning it). Bottomline, if this is a reason to suspend a popular broadcaster, then this is not a well person (John Angelos).

1 minute ago, ledzepp8 said:

Oh, I agree that there's a story here. I agree that reporters are hearing and reporting on the same rumor. My opinion is that there has to be more to it. I can't buy that this rumored reason, is the reason. It just seems unfathomable. Could it be the reason? Sure. It just doesn't make sense to me. It would have been one thing if KB said something to the effect of, "Perhaps if the Orioles had been spending more money, they could have been playing better against the Rays in previous years.". That I could see the owner taking offense to but for simply reading a prompter discussing an on-screen graphic about an improved w/l record at a particular venue. I don't get it. Again, I could be wrong. Maybe KB and the crew were told not to put the graphic up and talk about the record (for whatever asinine reason) and did so anyway and he's the fall guy. I could almost buy that even though it's stupid. Obviously, Roy's source seems to be KB and seemingly this is the reason he is giving for said suspension (or at least how he's spinning it). Bottomline, if this is a reason to suspend a popular broadcaster, then this is not a well person (John Angelos).

I think it's reasonable to believe he's "unwell" or at least not a rational person. His track record supports that. His family history supports that. I don't find it hard to believe at all, even though it is massively embarrassing to the Orioles and John.

I am starting to having a difficult time imagining, short of a public mea culpa from JA (improbable), that Kevin Brown will ever do another Oriole play-by-play broadcast. I know Brittany reported an August 11 return, but how can Brown retain his dignity without a JA statement absolving Kevin of any wrongdoing?

2 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

The Angelos Peter and now John have always, always had a huge chip on their shoulder about the media. 
And have always viewed the announcers and MASN writers and PR staff as their employees only who do what they are told or get canned. 
We all saw this play out previously and it is the same MO.. “loyalty “ is a one way street ONLY going to the Angelos. 
It is sad, because if you Google “Orioles” this morning and the “News” search, EVERY single story in all the national media is about this nonsense and the Angelos are being rightly pilloried .. again and the organization is being pitied again despite the winning. 
Self inflicted PR wounds by headstrong,  argumentative and foolish CEOs is not news but so unnecessary. 

1 minute ago, yeoledugger said:

I am starting to having a difficult time imagining, short of a public mea culpa from JA (improbable), that Kevin Brown will ever do another Oriole play-by-play broadcast. I know Brittany reported an August 11 return, but how can Brown retain his dignity without a JA statement absolving Kevin of any wrongdoing?

I agree. 

Thought she made it clear - to make it clear it wasn't scheduled -- that the August 11 return was suggested and not necessarily a sure thing.

At this point, the only thing that gives me hope he returns is they don't want to pay him not to work and they don't want to pay others to fill in when they are paying him.

I hope he does return. I hope he stays. I want he and McDonald to do every broadcast. I think many don't realize how good we have it with those two together, but Brown on his own is great.

9 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

Rob Long pretty much said the same thing to Britt this morning and she said there's nothing more to it.

3 minutes ago, yeoledugger said:

I am thinking O's HR/PR will do something for him.  Whether it is enough for him to put this behind him and move forward is another question. 

He may also just be a professional, really care about the Orioles (not the management/ownership, the team), and want to finish the season.  Despite his experience with ownership.  That will likely play out better for his "free agency" in broadcasting, whenever that is. 

8 minutes ago, yeoledugger said:

I agree with this. I can't imagine him just doing the games again without some kind of acknowledgment of the situation. If I were him, I wouldn't do another game until JA or someone in ownership addressed it and commented.