Jim Bowden likes Gunnar, Cano & GrayRod in R.O.Y. article

ChipTait

https://theathletic.com/4786273/2023/08/18/american-league-top-rookies-gunnar-henderson/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

With about 75 percent of the season complete, I believe Henderson is in the lead for AL Rookie of the Year; he’s the front-runner among position players. 

Yennier Cano has been one of the best set-up relievers in baseball this year. 

Grayson Rodriguez’s overall stats would indicate he doesn’t belong on this list. But his overall stuff says he should be at the top of this list. 

I still think Gunnar needs to get his average up to .250 and Yoshida's needs to fall below .300 for him to have it locked up.  Writers still like the old school stats.  Bibee is very underrated in the race if Cleveland somehow makes the wild card.  He has been consistently excellent.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I still think Gunnar needs to get his average up to .250 and Yoshida's needs to fall below .300 for him to have it locked up.  Writers still like the old school stats.  Bibee is very underrated in the race if Cleveland somehow makes the wild card.  He has been consistently excellent.

Cleveland isn’t making the WC. Basically no chance of that.  They could win their division though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Cleveland isn’t making the WC. Basically no chance of that.  They could win their division though.

Also very unlikely, but stranger things have happened, and definitely more likely than a WC being the AL Central is a dumpster fire. 

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

As long as the Orioles are winning, and especially if they are rhe 1st place team in the American League, the national media will take notice and be more inclined to consider Orioles rookies for Rookie Of The Year. 

Agreed but Bibee could be 13-2 with an ERA under 3.  Still probably Gunnar. I have a soft spot for Bibee though.  Love his combination of stuff and command. 

4 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Clowns occasionally say true things. That said, I think Cano and Grayson's chances at ROY are basically zero.

Grayson would have to be nails from here to the end of the year.   He would have to be crazy good  and do something historic like maybe a no hitter.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Grayson would have to be nails from here to the end of the year.   He would have to be crazy good  and do something historic like maybe a no hitter.  

For sure. And even then, the overall line would still be a bit tainted by the poor start and time in the minors. It would take a small miracle.

1 hour ago, Gurgi said:

He’ll probably have to be satisfied with World Series MVP.  

• Upvote 1