Musical Chairs for the O's pitching staff

wildcard

46 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Nothing would get me to release Fuji's arm.  

Way too much potential to just release Fujinami after only trading for him one month ago. If he has options then send him to Norfolk and call up a fresh arm. 

I want to see if the Orioles pitching lab can make Fujinami into an effective two or three pitch reliever instead of pitcher who throws six pitches, but none of them particularly well.

What I will agree on is Fujinami should be avoided in high leverage situations when the game is still in doubt. 

29 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Has Coulombe had any rehab appearances yet? I can't imagine him being added as soon as the 25th. 

Personally I do not see what Voth brings. I guess it is fine to option Vespi but then I would DFA Voth as soon as one of Coulombe/Hall/Means is ready. 

Voth had a 3.04 ERA in 17 starts and 22 games last year.    I would not just discard him.   Give him a chance to show what he can do.

Today is the 20th.  He is eligible to come of the IL on the 25th.   There is time for a rehab game for Coulombe if they want to do it.

Edited by wildcard

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Voth had a 3.04 ERA in 17 starts and 22 games last year.    I would not just discard him.   Give him a chance to show what he can do.

Today is the 20th.  He is eligible to come of the IL on the 25th.   There is time for a rehab game is they want to do it.

I have no doubt that they will try to keep him, but it's only fair to bring up his 4.94 ERA from 2023, or his 1.58 WHIP. 

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Today is the 20th.  He is eligible to come of the IL on the 25th.   There is time for a rehab game for Coulombe if they want to do it.

What is the use case for Voth? We have six starters already, with Means coming and McDermott an option. We don't really need a RHP. I am fine with keeping him as the mop up guy while optioning Vespi, although that leaves Cionel as the only LHP. As soon as Coulombe is ready I would not keep Voth at the expense of anyone else. 

17 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What is the use case for Voth? We have six starters already, with Means coming and McDermott an option. We don't really need a RHP. I am fine with keeping him as the mop up guy while optioning Vespi, although that leaves Cionel as the only LHP. As soon as Coulombe is ready I would not keep Voth at the expense of anyone else. 

Wells was sailing along and then needed time off.   Gibson has not been great lately.   Bautista was good last year until Sept when his ERA went to 7.00.  Several pitchers have pitched more innings this year than in any season before.    Its hard to know who will need time off but I think its likely some will.

That is why Elias tries to hold to as many pitchers as possible.  Never know who will be needed next.

Edited by wildcard

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

2 ER today in 0.2 innings. Does that change anything for you?

If you can send down Fuji, it needs to happen yesterday. He’s completely unreliable. See if he can be fixed.

If he can’t be sent down, the idea that you can’t DFA him is completely wrong. The Os are in a pennant race with an eye on the postseason roster. Fuji can not be on the postseason roster as of now because there is no way you can rely on him.

• Upvote 2