John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Does anyone think there is possibly an end game for JA to want to get a new stadium built in some area outside of the city and have the same situation as Atlanta?

That seems far fetched to me but it’s something I have wondered since they keep mentioning Atlanta and what they did so much.

That would void the $600 million. I guess possible but would probably cost way more to acquire land,new highways and stadium costs. I thought one day they would move to Baltimore Pennisula, formerly Port Covington but long shot now. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the people of Baltimore would riot and I don't think MLB would look too kindly on leaving Camden Yards.  It is still a crown jewel of ballparks and I don't know what good it would do for JA to build a new stadium outside the city.  Quite frankly, I'd rather have him just move the team to Nashville at that point.

Can’t say I disagree with anything you say here and, as i said, i think it’s far fetched. 

Just wonder if the man has a some ulterior motive and if that is what it could be. I just wouldn’t put anything past him and if he felt that scenario could net him more money and power, I think he would consider it.

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Can’t say I disagree with anything you say here and, as i said, i think it’s far fetched. 

Just wonder if the man has a some ulterior motive and if that is what it could be. I just wouldn’t put anything past him and if he felt that scenario could net him more money and power, I think he would consider it.

I agree with your final statement.  I don't believe that moving the team to Nashville isn't on the table...although the likelihood is very small, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been discussed by him.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree with your final statement.  I don't believe that moving the team to Nashville isn't on the table...although the likelihood is very small, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been discussed by him.

One thing I learned in business.  There is precious little that is not for sale for the right price.  

The thing that controls the O's is a trust document created by Peter Angelos.  The person controlling the trust is Mama Angelos.  An intra-family feud was settled this spring with John running the O's and the younger son getting the law firm.  

It's very possible that Peter put a clause in the trust prohibiting moving the team.  There's no way to know.  

According to sports business gurus, the O's are worth 1.6 billion dollars.  I'd bet a lot that John cares a lot about the O's as this is likely a big chunk of the family wealth.  None of the Angelos family were baseball people.  I think they got a lot of bad advice from the baseball people they trusted.  Elias has taken them in a new direction.  

1 minute ago, Baltimorecuse said:

One thing I learned in business.  There is precious little that is not for sale for the right price.  

Reminds me of that old joke that's attributed to Winston Churchill...but has also been attributed to a lot of others, too.

A man asks a woman if she'd sleep with him for a million dollars.  And she says yes.  And then he asks if she'd sleep with him for 5 dollars.

Her:  (Highly offended) What kind of woman do you think I am?

Him:  We've already established that.  Now we're just haggling over the price.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

As much as I dislike the Angelos family this post is categorically untrue. The Orioles TV market was split in half when the Expos were allowed to move to DC. The rest of what happened is just colored bubbles. 

And in exchange they got to own the Nats TV rights with MASN, raking in hundreds of millions in the process. This is not and has NEVER been a "small market team". Ever, ever, ever. To act like them moving was some huge hit to the finances is absurd, it was just the opposite with all the money they could make (and steal, we later found out)  from DC. The arrangement was widely called an absolute robbery of MLB and the Nats for how good the deal was for the Orioles. But sure let's rewrite history to claim it was a turning point for the finances in a downward direction. 

I swear you people just love making excuses for this piece of trash ownership at every turn.  

10 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The thing that controls the O's is a trust document created by Peter Angelos.  The person controlling the trust is Mama Angelos.  An intra-family feud was settled this spring with John running the O's and the younger son getting the law firm.  

It's very possible that Peter put a clause in the trust prohibiting moving the team.  There's no way to know.  

According to sports business gurus, the O's are worth 1.6 billion dollars.  I'd bet a lot that John cares a lot about the O's as this is likely a big chunk of the family wealth.  None of the Angelos family were baseball people.  I think they got a lot of bad advice from the baseball people they trusted.  Elias has taken them in a new direction.  

I would bet on them getting more than the franchise is “worth” too.

The revenue for these franchises is only going to get better over time. 

He may be trying to leverage this lease deal into this new Battery Park wannabe stuff that his name will be all over whether he sells the team or not..that way he can make the money there.

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sure JA has instigated internal discussions about it. I think he's delusional if he thinks MLB would allow that to happen. The last team MLB allowed to move (before Oakland) was Montreal, a complete CF of a situation with no hope of resolution; bad stadium, no gov't support to build a new stadium, chronically poor fan support. They were in a death spiral. Baltimore doesn't check any of those boxes. JA isn't going to MLB and saying "hey, I know I've got this team that's winning a bunch of games, has a loaded farm system, plays in a great park, in a city that is willing to pony up to make improvements, and with surging fan interest, both locally and nationally....but I'd really like to move it to Nashville" without getting laughed out of the room.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Reminds me of that old joke that's attributed to Winston Churchill...but has also been attributed to a lot of others, too.

A man asks a woman if she'd sleep with him for a million dollars.  And she says yes.  And then he asks if she'd sleep with him for 5 dollars.

Her:  (Highly offended) What kind of woman do you think I am?

Him:  We've already established that.  Now we're just haggling over the price.

It's a REALLY old joke, but always a goody.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, deward said:

I'm sure JA has instigated internal discussions about it. I think he's delusional if he thinks MLB would allow that to happen. The last team MLB allowed to move (before Oakland) was Montreal, a complete CF of a situation with no hope of resolution; bad stadium, no gov't support to build a new stadium, chronically poor fan support. They were in a death spiral. Baltimore doesn't check any of those boxes. JA isn't going to MLB and saying "hey, I know I've got this team that's winning a bunch of games, has a loaded farm system, plays in a great park, in a city that is willing to pony up to make improvements, and with surging fan interest, both locally and nationally....but I'd really like to move it to Nashville" without getting laughed out of the room.

Nashville has about a 1.5 billion dollar check waiting for any team, Johnny would be gone before you know it if he could get away with it. And I am sure he is trying to figure out a way right now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Nashville has about a 1.5 billion dollar check waiting for any team, Johnny would be gone before you know it if he could get away with it. And I am sure he is trying to figure out a way right now. 

And another owner mentions Nashville. Let's be honest almost all the owners care about money and power The fans and the city they are in merely stops on the train of life. The White Sox are one of the top teams for local TV revenue.