Lucas Giolito on waivers?

Hallas

12 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Clevinger and Carrasco cleared waivers per MLBTR.

Would Clevinger be a guy anyone would want to take a chance on?   Carrasco is an obvious "no".

How did Clevinger clear waivers and Giolito didn't?  Crazy.

8 minutes ago, Hallas said:

How did Clevinger clear waivers and Giolito didn't?  Crazy.

The only thing I can think of is Clevinger has a $4M buyout if his $12M mutual option isn't exercised for next season. Clevinger would definitely help out the Orioles if they claimed him.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/clevimi01.shtml

image.thumb.png.032baef3d21b986deb88b7e73239eac1.png

Clevinger I just read a factor was a $4mm buyout a Claimer would be on the hook for.

Ohio teams almost had a sweep except Mariners got Dominic Leone.

I'd wondered if Guardians would be out of it by the time we see them for Games 153-156.     I guess it is still possible, and if so boy would that be a rough year for Giolito/Lopez being on three Clubs where it didn't work out.

Energy should be high in Cleveland when the Twins visit early next week.     Hopefully Moore and Lopez help them against Rays this weekend.      Giolito, Moore and Lopez is a '24 offseason perhaps many of us here wouldn't mind for the Orioles.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only thing I can think of is Clevinger has a $4M buyout if his $12M mutual option isn't exercised for next season. Clevinger would definitely help out the Orioles if they claimed him.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/clevimi01.shtml

image.thumb.png.032baef3d21b986deb88b7e73239eac1.png

He's good enough that I can't imagine most teams caring about 5.5 million.  Unless they were spooked by his offseason drama.  Which is a valid reason.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Clevinger and Carrasco cleared waivers per MLBTR.

Would Clevinger be a guy anyone would want to take a chance on?   Carrasco is an obvious "no".

Not Elias, apparently. I used to like Clevinger but he's had a bunch of off field issues. I kinda just don't really want him around our guys. I am surprised he went unclaimed though. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not Elias, apparently. I used to like Clevinger but he's had a bunch of off field issues. I kinda just don't really want him around our guys. I am surprised he went unclaimed though. 

I’m not. Those issues were pretty serious if I recall. More surprised people on here wanted him than I am that he went unclaimed. 

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

I’m not. Those issues were pretty serious if I recall. More surprised people on here wanted him than I am that he went unclaimed. 

Considering he didn't get charged and was mostly cleared by an MLB investigation I'm a little surprised that *no one* claimed him.  Understanding the severity of the allegations, there didn't seem to be enough smoke there to scare away 29 teams.  But maybe I'm wrong.  Or maybe it was a combination of that smoke plus his salary?  Who knows.

23 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Considering he didn't get charged and was mostly cleared by an MLB investigation I'm a little surprised that *no one* claimed him.  Understanding the severity of the allegations, there didn't seem to be enough smoke there to scare away 29 teams.  But maybe I'm wrong.  Or maybe it was a combination of that smoke plus his salary?  Who knows.

I thought there were issues with racist comments in addition to the assault, but looks like that was a different Clevinger, so he's off the hook for that. 

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Why? Clevinger's not a very good pitcher. And there was also that incident where he and Plesac broke COVID protocols and endangered infecting their teammates. I don't see any upside and apparently no one else does either. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

Why? Clevinger's not a very good pitcher. And there was also that incident where he and Plesac broke COVID protocols and endangered infecting their teammates. I don't see any upside and apparently no one else does either. 

Disagree on him not being very good. He's definitely well above average. 

26 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Seriously? You are just kidding right? With the exception of last year at San Diego he’s consistently a 3.20 ish era pitcher since 2017. He’s a 2.9 WAR 3.32 1.2 WHIP pitcher this year.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a John Angelos money thing! I’d have released Gibson this afternoon and you’d have your 4 man rotation locked in for the playoffs with Bradish, Clevinger, Kremer, & Grayson.

I too find it odd no one claimed Clevinger. The MLB went through thousands of texts and emails between him and the alleged victim, spoke to dozens of people they both know and from what it seems, did a very thorough investigation and claimed there was no merit to it and cleared him to play. He's not facing any criminal charges, and in the US at least, you are innocent until proven guilty. It appears no criminal charges suggest that there is not enough evidence to push forward. Not sure what type of teammate he is, or what type of distraction it would bring to a team.

His ERA+ is 134 and he's out performing his FIP by about a run but he keeps the ball in the yard and doesn't strike a ton of guys out. Statcast data is good not great.