Bob Uecker learns from Earl on how to get ejected

Moose Milligan

I always liked BU, very pleasant and approachable. My dad took us to a spring game in the early 90's, I believe it was at Al Lang Stadium (current home of the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the USL). Long story short Uecker was broadcasting the game and he autographed for my brother and I before first pitch from the booth. It was one of the first autographs we got as young baseball fans. 

Others in the family were  approachable too.  My daughter became friends with his daughter when we lived in the St.Louis area.  When my son was sick for quite a spell, she gave my daughter a signed baseball for him during his sick period.   Had all team members signed on it.  Underneath all that arguing and gruffness was a true  gentlemen.  

• Thanks 1

I went down the same Earl Weaver rabbit hole after viewing this thread.   I had to show my teenage son who Earl was.  I showed him the clip of Earl arguing with umpire Bill Haller.   He thought Earl was crazy.   Then, feeling nostalgic, I alone watched the 2013 Remembering Earl ceremony (all 40 minutes of it).   This was followed up by Earl's HOF induction  speech.  I then watched Andre Dawson's complete induction speech, as it auto-played and felt too disrespectful to a great player from my youth to turn it off. 

There are a lot of good life lessons in those speeches.