TT: Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson: Major League adjustments

Tony-OH

• Tony-OH changed the title to TT: Adley Rutschman and Gunnar Henderson: Major League adjustments

Fantastic post, thank you!

Two questions @Tony-OH if I might be so bold.

1) What does the impact of choosing to switch hit have on Adley's offensive production? By having to maintain two separate swings, does he do himself a disservice? We saw Mullins take a significant step forward when he stopped hitting right handed. 

2) Hyde has chosen to hit Adley in the lead off spot frquently. Has Adley changed his approach and thus his power has decreased because he's hitting lead off?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Edited by Jim'sKid26

42 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Fantastic post, thank you!

Two questions @Tony-OH if I might be so bold.

1) What does the impact of choosing to switch hit have on Adley's offensive production? By having to maintain two separate swings, does he do himself a disservice? We saw Mullins take a significant step forward when he stopped hitting right handed. 

2) Hyde has chosen to hit Adley in the lead off spot frquently. Has Adley changed his approach and thus his power has decreased because he's hitting lead off?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Mullins stopped hitting right-handed because he was never good at it, even in the minors. Rutschman has always been good from both sides of the plate though from year to year which side is more effective may switch around. I don't see that as a problem and since he doesn't have huge splits, it wouldn't make much sense to stop him from switch-hitting even if keeping two swings straight all season can be hard for any switch hitter.

Adley's hitting whether batting 1st or 2nd has been about the same so I'd say leading off has had a negligible affect on his stats.

image.thumb.png.99178ab34d2caf702e11fcc8c278e56a.png

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Anyone think Adley might be slightly injured?  Not enough to not play but enough to cut his offense and even make him not be able to throw runners out consistantly?

He is throwing much better than he was earlier in the year.  At least he tends to be a bit more accurate.  

Really interesting analysis that made this long-time lurker come out of the woodwork for the first time since 2015 on a new account...thanks Tony! 

For Adley in particular, his power has dropped off, but weirdly a few of his power peripherals are actually better than last season: 

• EV is higher (88.4 2023 vs 87.9 MPH 2022)
  • Hard Hit % Up  (38.3% vs 36.8%) 

It made me wonder how much his (anecdotally) inconsistent ball/strike calling by the umps this year  has played into his selectivity at the plate, made him expand the zone...He is grounding out more (.74 vs .67 GB/FB) at the expense of strikeouts / walks (both down marginally from 2022) , and hitting up the middle MUCH less (46.8% vs 54.9%)....

I'm too green to know how to post in pictures from BBREF / Baseball Cube. Can anyone give me a heads up on how to do that? 

Go O's! 

• Upvote 1

Great post, Tony!   One thing I constantly need to remind myself of is that players’ progress rarely moves in a straight line and you never really know when or if a breakthrough will come.  I have this gut feeling that Adley has another gear he hasn’t reached yet, but I don’t know if he’ll reach it eventually or not.  I feel pretty sure Gunnar has another gear from a contact perspective down the road.  But, we’ll see.  

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Anyone think Adley might be slightly injured?  Not enough to not play but enough to cut his offense and even make him not be able to throw runners out consistantly?

I’ve speculated this for some time. He’s not moved well behind the plate or on the bases since at least July. In a lot of his lefty PAs, he looks both stiff and cheating on heaters, which causes him to fly open and off balance. This looks like something isn’t 100% with him. Maybe not enough to consider an injury but nagging enough to impact his play. 

I still say Adley should be moved down the lineup. I would bat him second vs righties and 4th vs lefties. 

Maybe Adley is different but we have had players talk in the past about his where they bat in the lineup changes their approach. I believe Adley goes for defensive swings just to make contact and get on base at times vs trying to drive the ball.

I am not sure if he would change his approach or not but I would like to see them try.

All of that said, w/r/t this conversation, I think Gunnar is just a more skilled and more talented offensive player.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I still say Adley should be moved down the lineup. I would bat him second vs righties and 4th vs lefties. 

Maybe Adley is different but we have had players talk in the past about his where they bat in the lineup changes their approach. I believe Adley goes for defensive swings just to make contact and get on base at times vs trying to drive the ball.

I am not sure if he would change his approach or not but I would like to see them try.

All of that said, w/r/t this conversation, I think Gunnar is just a more skilled and more talented offensive player.

I like that he sees a lot of pitches.  This helps the guys below him. He is also probably the closest thing the Orioles have a contact hitter.  He reminds me a bit of Markakis in terms of his profile.  

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I like that he sees a lot of pitches.  This helps the guys below him. He is also probably the closest thing the Orioles have a contact hitter.  He reminds me a bit of Markakis in terms of his profile.  

He can still see a lot of pitches but look to drive the ball more.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He can still see a lot of pitches but look to drive the ball more.

Don't have anything other than my own observations to back this up, but it feels like Adley has taken a lot of big swings this season where he's just not barrelled it up, especially foul balls. 

Interested to hear what those who know more about baseball (most of you) think about this.

I wonder if it's more of a psychological thing, wherein he's aware his power numbers aren't quite where he is capable of being and when he's getting those pitches in those counts that he's looking for he's maybe even swinging too hard, instead of a more natural swing that is likely to produce more barrels and power. 

Edited by Flash- bd

5 hours ago, MTMan13 said:

I'm too green to know how to post in pictures from BBREF / Baseball Cube. Can anyone give me a heads up on how to do that? 

You can't post photos directly from another site; you have to screenshot them or otherwise download them to your device first, then upload them into the post.  I personally use the choose files... selection at the bottom of the editor to insert a pic but you can also drag and drop.

You can link to another site that has what you want to share by using the chain-link, fourth icon from the left in the top bar of the editor, or just cut and paste it.  Experiment with pasting it as plain text (the editor will ask you) to see what the result is; you can edit a post if it doesn't look how you want it.  This doesn't share the page content inside the post, tho, just a link to it. 

A Twitter/X link will expand fully inside the post if you select "use plain text instead."  

Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1