Now that the bar has been raised, what’s your definition of a successful season in 2024?

Frobby

With a few exceptions, I think most posters feel that 2023 was a very successful season and are pretty satisfied with the result, perhaps even ecstatic.   

But now the bar is raised.  Division title?  Been there, done that.  So what do you think the O’s would need to do next year for you to feel it was a successful season?

1.  Make the playoffs again. 

2.  Win the division title again. 

3.  Win 100+ games again.

4.  Win at least one playoff game.

5.  Win an ALDS series.

6.  Make it to the World Series

7.  Win the World Series

I’m guessing nobody would complain if we won the World Series without winning the AL East or 100+ games.  But are there other combos of 1-6 that you’d be satisfied with next year?   Or is it World Series title or bust?

Winning the division again would be a successful season to me. So would winning the WC and advancing at least one round to the ALDS. 

I don't think I'll be at the point where I apply a "World Series or bust" success metric to just one season.

Success to me in the next five years looks like making the playoffs every year, winning the division several times, winning playoff series several times, and winning at least one WS. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Something between #1 and #2 depending on how the rest of the AL East shakes out.

A healthy Rays teams probably finishes with more than 101 wins in 2023.  If that happens in 2024 you tip your cap and take your wildcard.

Once you get to the playoffs all bets are off.

Intellectually, I completely understand that the playoffs are a bit of a crapshoot.  That said, if we exactly replicated this year and got swept in the postseason again, I don’t think I’d feel satisfied. I’d be far more bummed out than I was this year. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Intellectually, I completely understand that the playoffs are a bit of a crapshoot.  That said, if we exactly replicated this year and got swept in the postseason again, I don’t think I’d feel satisfied. I’d be far more bummed out than I was this year. 

One of the advantages to always expecting the worst is that it's harder to be disappointed. 

Advance past the ALDS.

Not as concerned about winning the division as I am making the playoffs. Division title would be nice but whatever.

Playoffs are a crapshoot but you still need to win. Houston has now been to 7 straight ALCS. 

Of course, this also depends on what the team does this offseason. My expectations could get worse.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The 2024 are very likely to be younger and more inexperienced than 2023 and no Felix. 

How Elias supplements this roster means everything.

That would be an intentional choice if that were the case.  Other than the loss of Frazier and Gibson.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Advance past the ALDS.

Not as concerned about winning the division as I am making the playoffs. Division title would be nice but whatever.

Playoffs are a crapshoot but you still need to win. Houston has now been to 7 straight ALCS. 

Of course, this also depends on what the team does this offseason. My expectations could get worse.

Well, there is a question of whether we could take a step back but still make progress.  Let’s say we break in guys like Kjerstad, Cowser, Mayo and Holliday and they don’t crap the bed but don’t set the world on fire, either, kind of like Westburg this year.  And we only win 90ish games but now these guys are fully broken in and hopefully on the rise for 2025.   That would be a different kind of scenario that might still be seen as a qualified success.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No doubt and I think it would be the right choice but that makes it potentially harder to win in that season

We'll have to see what they do, but I think Elias will be more conservative than you would be in regards to trading "veterans."

Frazier and Gibson will be gone.

But I don't see them trading 3-4 guys in addition to that who contributed this year.

Maybe one or two.