Mike Elias Press Conference(Long but Interesting)

Bird Lady

32 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I saw an interesting quote from Elias where he mentioned that they tried trading for guys with significant Contracts.  Would love to know what deals he was working at the deadline that fell through.  I think he was all in on Verlander until the Astros swooped in. 

This is the thing that kills me about the Debbie downers that whine that they won't spend money and never get anyone.

NONE of us know who or what they tried to pull off.  With what's been built so far, I trust the judgement on trades that weren't made.

But yeah, I agree.....I'd looooove to know what fell through.

Edited by CP0861
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

This is the thing that kills me about the Debbie downers that whine that they won't spend money and never get anyone.

NONE of us know who or what they tried to pull off.  With what's been built so far, I trust the judgement on trades that weren't made.

But at the end of the day it is about what they actually accomplish not what they try and fail to do.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Elias is a master of saying nothing but making you think he gave you a significant nugget to chew on.

Part of me wants to watch this because I like him but ultimately it'll be a waste of time.  What he says today has no bearing on what he does in the offseason.  

He's a skilled speaker, I think it's worth a listen.

I do wish the room was miked up better since it was hard for me to hear a lot of the questions.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But at the end of the day it is about what they actually accomplish not what they try and fail to do.

It depends. If they failed to overpay (just to accomplish a trade), I'm fine with that. At least for now.

Edited by CP0861

5 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

It depends. If they failed to overpay (just to accomplish a trade), I'm fine with that. At least for now.

Sigh...

But what's an overpay?

If Elias says it's an overpay does that make it an overpay?

The other side probably didn't think it was an overpay.

Edited by Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sigh...

But what's an overpay?

Jackson Holliday for Verlander is probably an overpay. If you just want an example. ;)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

As opposed to Elias didn't make a deal therefor it had to be an overpay.

I think mostly teams don't suggest offers that they know are ridiculous, this isn't fantasy baseball they don't want to waste their time.

I don't dabble in fantasy sports and trades. I have no idea what the prospects that the Astros gave to the Mets would be comparable to our guys. It was clear the Mets wanted top talent in order to eat all of that money, that's the only thing I know.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sigh...

But what's an overpay?

Don't sigh. I should be sighing. I basically already answered that - in the post that you quoted.

"With what's been built so far, I trust the judgement on trades that weren't made."

So yes, judging by the rebuild and his tenure thus far, I trust Elias' judgement in all things roster related - including trade values. He's responsible for gathering and assembling the resources that would be traded, so who would be better at evaluating their value? 

Of course the other side probably didn't think it was an overpay. They're literally trying to get as much as humanly possible for whoever they're trading. If you're the opposing GM and you're trying to trade a player to a GM desperate to make a playoff push, there's no such thing as an overpay!

Edited by CP0861

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Yeah i think this quote is noteworthy compared to all of the GM speak we usually get from him in interviews.

At this point I do think the odds are in favor of him being on the Opening Day roster.   I think Mike wants the extra draft pick (again!).

How many years in a row do you guys think we can have a guy finish in the top 2 of the RoY voting?  heh

I would guess that even if Holliday makes the OD roster, he won’t be one of the favorites for ROY.  That’s not to say he couldn’t win, but there are talented players who are older with more minor league experience, some of whom probably broke in this September and have a bit of a leg up.  To me, the decision whether Holliday makes the OD roster should not be driven by the hope that he’ll earn us a draft pick.  The question. Is simple: is he ready to be better than the guys in this organization who are more experienced than he is?  If the answer is yes, then bring him up and stick him in the lineup basically every day.  If he’s not quite ready, then play him every day in AAA until he is. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

That nothing is currently known yet is weird.  I mean, you can go back to MLBTR years later and see the rumors for Erik Bedard.  Dodgers offered Kershaw and Kemp, Reds offered Votto and our choice of Bailey/Cueto.  

You figure that something would’ve leaked out by now of who they were potentially targeting.