I feel better about losing to Texas now

Frobby

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My favorite was Richie Hebner, who dug graves in the offseason.  And that was on the back of his baseball card!

Baseball reference does indeed list The Gravedigger as his nickname.

Thirty-five bucks a grave was pretty good money back then, of course it helped to have an in with the guy running the show, darn nepo babies!

Edited by Can_of_corn

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

But it’s not just a money thing.

Let me turn this around. Let’s say all they did was having one WC team and 3 division winners.

Are you ok with a set up that is greatly incentivizes the big spending teams?

Yes.  This is the setup that I'd want.

Because you still don't have to spend a lot to make the playoffs.  If that were the way it was set up this year, IIRC, it'd have been the Orioles but Tampa still would have been the WC, right?

This inclusivity stuff is annoying.  No, 4 best teams from each league.  Keep it simple.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes.  This is the setup that I'd want.

Because you still don't have to spend a lot to make the playoffs.  If that were the way it was set up this year, IIRC, it'd have been the Orioles but Tampa still would have been the WC, right?

This inclusivity stuff is annoying.  No, 4 best teams from each league.  Keep it simple.

But this year would be more of an anomaly.  4 playoff teams for each side is just bad.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I disagree.  I don't need to see more than 2 rounds of playoffs before the WS.  This is becoming like the NHL which is a joke of a league.

I only need to see one.  Two leagues, two divisions per league, one seven-game playoff for league champion and the WS.  Baseball in November is also a joke, and a bad one at that.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I only need to see one.  Two leagues, two divisions per league, one seven-game playoff for league champion and the WS.  Baseball in November is also a joke, and a bad one at that.

They are lucky the WS will be in Texas and Arizona, rather than somewhere in the northern part of the country.   

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I disagree.  I don't need to see more than 2 rounds of playoffs before the WS.  This is becoming like the NHL which is a joke of a league.

Then you we advocating for a system that basically only rewards big spenders, which is an even bigger joke.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

I am an old man, and all these years I never mastered the knack of  FEELING BETTER when my team loses.   A loss is a loss, regardless  of  how you try to paint it.  And a loss stinks.  

Completely agree. And it's how we lost, too. If we lost in game 5 by a score of 9-7, I'd be like, "Damn. :)"

But no, the team completely forgot what a baseball and a bat are.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many of the teams with the highest payroll in their division won their division this season?

I don’t know and I don’t care.

One season doesn’t an argument make. We are talking about years of data that would favor very few different teams making the playoffs year or year.

The greatest tourney in the entire world is the World Cup. The best countries aren’t the only ones invited. The NCAA tourney is the most exciting sporting event we have and that is largely because so many teams can win and more importantly, teams get a chance.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One season doesn’t an argument make. We are talking about years of data that would favor very few different teams making the playoffs year or year.

The greatest tourney in the entire world is the World Cup. The best countries aren’t the only ones invited. The NCAA tourney is the most exciting sporting event we have and that is largely because so many teams can win and more importantly, teams get a chance.

I don’t think the World Cup or the NCAA tournament are good analogies for MLB, where teams play 162 games in the regular season and (now) play every other team multiple times during the season.  It’s just a different animal.   That said, I don’t have a huge problem with the playoff structure.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the World Cup or the NCAA tournament are good analogies for MLB, where teams play 162 games in the regular season and (now) play every other team multiple times during the season.  It’s just a different animal.   That said, I don’t have a huge problem with the playoff structure.  

It’s all relative. To make the World Cup, you have to qualify and you play teams in your region multiple times.

In the NCAA tourney, you certainly could play teams you already did play that year. 

But the point is that these tourneys aren’t exclusive and if they were, it would always go to the big names and people would complain about that.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm not much for excuses.

Ohh we can't win because the big bad market teams spend more money than we want to.

It's been shown that a team with a smaller payroll can win if properly run.