Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The honeymoon period is over on the WS message board.   Here’s a shocker.   Many have a problem with SG’s posting style.  I think one posters thoughts sums up most of that boards feelings when he asked SG “What the f is your problem” ?   

Wow, things really deteriorated overnight.  I see one guy posted, “The Frobby guy knew when to bow out.”   I hadn’t necessarily planned on bowing out, but now it doesn’t look like anything I’d post over there would lead to an interesting discussion.   Think I’ll just let the stew simmer.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, things really deteriorated overnight.  I see one guy posted, “The Frobby guy knew when to bow out.”   I hadn’t necessarily planned on bowing out, but now it doesn’t look like anything I’d post over there would lead to an interesting discussion.   Think I’ll just let the stew simmer.  

They have just gotten stupid at this point. Arguing that Mayo isn’t that of a prospect because he’s right handed, saying that Os fans shouldn’t care that they want a ton for Cease yet they get upset when Os fans say let’s trade less for Cease, etc…their better posters have stayed quiet while the bottom of the barrel guys are coming out with nonsense.

I get it..they don’t want Os fans coming over and telling them stuff but at the end of the day, if Getz was being reasonable in his request, Cease would be dealt. They don’t want to hear that.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That Frobby guy "secret agent of Elias"  lol

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

They have just gotten stupid at this point. Arguing that Mayo isn’t that of a prospect because he’s right handed, saying that Os fans shouldn’t care that they want a ton for Cease yet they get upset when Os fans say let’s trade less for Cease, etc…their better posters have stayed quiet while the bottom of the barrel guys are coming out with nonsense.

I get it..they don’t want Os fans coming over and telling them stuff but at the end of the day, if Getz was being reasonable in his request, Cease would be dealt. They don’t want to hear that.

A Couple that I liked were that the WS hold all the cards, It implies that this ORG and more specific Elias Holds no cards. How sadly misinformed. Another was That the more teams that are interested then they will be willing to overpay, and what difference does it make what Elias pays hes got a prospect stockpile. 2018 is obviously different than this because a lot of guys were on expiring contracts. They think that the Dodgers were only ones interested in Machado? they also had a prospect Stockpile, Did not stop them from unloading a 5 player deal headlined by a Guy that could not stay on field, we got scraps on the package were lucky to develop Kremer. Another is 2023 did not happen for Cease, it did and hes worth less than he was at the end of 2022, and if you point that out its liked you assaulted a family member.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

A Couple that I liked were that the WS hold all the cards, It implies that this ORG and more specific Elias Holds no cards. How sadly misinformed. Another was That the more teams that are interested then they will be willing to overpay, and what difference does it make what Elias pays hes got a prospect stockpile. 2018 is obviously different than this because a lot of guys were on expiring contracts. They think that the Dodgers were only ones interested in Machado? they also had a prospect Stockpile, Did not stop them from unloading a 5 player deal headlined by a Guy that could not stay on field, we got scraps on the package were lucky to develop Kremer. Another is 2023 did not happen for Cease, it did and hes worth less than he was at the end of 2022, and if you point that out its liked you assaulted a family member.

Yep…the “we don’t want an outsider telling us what we should want/ask for” is just an absurd pov. It’s essentially saying, even if we are asking for too much, so what..we need a big overpay because we suck.

Some of them seem to have a thought process that they are a charity and we are billionaires and should just hand them more money because “you can afford it”.

Dont get me wrong, I’m fully expecting Cease to end up in Boston for a deal we could and should have beaten and I will be right there to bash Elias for not doing it (unless he gets another very good pitcher of course) but this sense of entitlement by them because Cease was really good in 2022 is hysterical.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep…the “we don’t want an outsider telling us what we should want/ask for” is just an absurd pov. It’s essentially saying, even if we are asking for too much, so what..we need a big overpay because we suck.

Some of them seem to have a thought process that they are a charity and we are billionaires and should just hand them more money because “you can afford it”.

Dont get me wrong, I’m fully expecting Cease to end up in Boston for a deal we could and should have beaten and I will be right there to bash Elias for not doing it (unless he gets another very good pitcher of course) but this sense of entitlement by them because Cease was really good in 2022 is hysterical.

Since we have an owner who refuses to spend, bad trades would hinder us much more than a team like the Dodgers making a bad trade. 

16 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Reading their message board I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a certain amount of pressure to pass on making a trade that doesn’t meet the unreasonably high expectations he may have set. Seems like that fanbase will eat him alive if he doesn’t bring back something in line with the leaked Reds package.

For all the frustrations fans have expressed with regards to Elias being overly cautious, he’s made a number of choices that have drawn significant fan blowback but have worked out. Underslot draft strategies and the Lopez/Mancini trades come to mind. Not all GMs would make those moves at the expense of fan’s short term outrage and I think it deserves some credit.
I could see Getz holding Cease and passing on potentially valuable young upside pieces if they don’t check the right media/fan boxes. Just speculating based on the media accounts suggesting the White Sox may hold him; Getz may just be playing this cool until the last minute of course.

Any GM that factors in the fan base thoughts of his/her move is literally subjugating his decision to people who have less information. If the move doesn’t work and fans hate it…that is different. 

16 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Reading their message board I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a certain amount of pressure to pass on making a trade that doesn’t meet the unreasonably high expectations he may have set. Seems like that fanbase will eat him alive if he doesn’t bring back something in line with the leaked Reds package.

For all the frustrations fans have expressed with regards to Elias being overly cautious, he’s made a number of choices that have drawn significant fan blowback but have worked out. Underslot draft strategies and the Lopez/Mancini trades come to mind. Not all GMs would make those moves at the expense of fan’s short term outrage and I think it deserves some credit.
I could see Getz holding Cease and passing on potentially valuable young upside pieces if they don’t check the right media/fan boxes. Just speculating based on the media accounts suggesting the White Sox may hold him; Getz may just be playing this cool until the last minute of course.

And I think the media slobbering over Cease non stop is a major factor in this. Getz will get pilloried in the town square by both the fans and the Chicago media if he does not bring back a king’s ransom. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

And I think the media slobbering over Cease non stop is a major factor in this. Getz will get pilloried in the town square by both the fans and the Chicago media if he does not bring back a king’s ransom. 

What media slobbering?

And any GM who lets that stuff affect his actions is a crappy GM.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What media slobbering?

And any GM who lets that stuff affect his actions is a crappy GM.

Every time I turn on to MLB Network and they're discussing trades all I hear is how Cease is an "ace" and "one of the best in the game" or something similar. 

Of course that stuff is going to have an impact. Getz cares about his job and I'm sure he cares about his image and making a good first impression as well, as this is his first offseason with the club. GMs are not immune to pressure even if they aren't consciously aware of it. 

Just getting caught up... Povich may have been told "we don't have plans to trade you." That does not mean he is untouchable. 

My interpretation of current state of talks would be Elias has made an offer, Getz has declined, hoping for better. Elias has probably said "let me know if you get any better offers and give us an opportunity to beat it. For now, you have our offer." 

I do believe it may take Mayo to get Cease to the O's and Elias won't pay that price. So the question is will Getz find any bidders willing to beat our current offer. He may hold out until July.