Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

At ease soldier lol. Of course I was bummed he missed the playoffs. I was hoping with more reps he would start to look more like himself. I understand the ERA he pitched to, that was great. However, the peripherals suggest that with a larger sample, he might have gotten lit up - again, that's depending on whether or not he started to round back into form. 

Means is a great pitcher, but the facts are he's coming off a very serious injury and it's not a guarantee that he will be the same guy. Another fact is that he typically misses a chunk of the year with shoulder soreness. So, there's just a lot of question marks with him. When he's healthy and the changeup is working, he's fantastic. I'm not trying to dunk on him or anything, but he's a guy you just can't earmark for 180 innings next season. Something like that would be a best case scenario. 

OK relax. At least I got you on board as an Oriole fan. I understand the concern with his health, I dont need 180 next season or the next 2. My only point in all these posts is to extend Means is a potentiality cheap alternative to existing FA  alternatives. It makes sense you said yourself hes great and when good his Change up  is  Fantastic, not too troll but its a GD whiffle  ball. Not talking about 1 year of Bradish or Grod or course i would bet on them over Means. That said his entire body of of work is probably the best since Mussina  Just remember how good he is

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I jumped on to the White Sox board for the first time in a few days to see what they were saying about Cease.  Sheesh, that place has turned quite salty toward Baltimore since I last visited a few days ago. 

Elias and O's fans living rent free in their heads right now. They've more or less said the return for trading Cease is all they have to look forward to for the next year or so. A perceived disappointing return will be pretty tough for some of them.

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I jumped on to the White Sox board for the first time in a few days to see what they were saying about Cease.  Sheesh, that place has turned quite salty toward Baltimore since I last visited a few days ago. 

Well it's kind of the same here. We're annoyed at the WS for asking for the moon, and I'm sure they're annoyed at the Orioles for being stingy. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Elias and O's fans living rent free in their heads right now. They've more or less said the return for trading Cease is all they have to look forward to for the next year or so. A perceived disappointing return will be pretty tough for some of them.

Very natural way of thinking... I get it completely. It sucks to have a bad team with two or three good players sprinkled in who's likely on the cusp of a rebuild.

Lord knows we feel that pain.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

It is pretty funny on both sides because posters are acting like they know what players are being offered and which side is holding up the deal lol.  The reality is, only Getz and Elias know what it will take for the trade to happen.  For all we know the framework has already been agreed to and both guys are waiting to get back from a luxurious winter vacation to make it official. 

22 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

It's called the Sports Guy effective.  lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Very natural way of thinking... I get it completely. It sucks to have a bad team with two or three good players sprinkled in who's likely on the cusp of a rebuild.

Lord knows we feel that pain.

I get it too. I check in on their board frequently to see if they've dug up any information or see if their potential insiders are sharing anything. I just think it's a little childish to take offense that a deal hasn't gotten done at this point.

2 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-projected-trade-package-land-white-sox-star-brad9?fbclid=IwAR3zauS03WhZ16G0LvUORQBzMh6vw0XohWfdiTtd-NVHEBs2xQF62IbwCM8_aem_AZdKlROyitLEQOlZqh7N-XAujXv5l4fDER15t4QxqP-6s-iauGVroUYAOC9gCch6qB4

Kjerstad/Basallo/Norby for Cease??

Sweet Jheeeeeeeeeeeeesus NO!!!!

Potentially the one saving grace is that with the ChiSox ineptitude, maybe none of them develop and it doesn’t bite us in the ass. But still. No. Absolutely not. Under NO circumstances.

Sports Illustrated has fallen a long way.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

If he has a 2.20 ERA into July I could see his value going up despite months of control going down. 

For sure.  I’d say if his ERA+ is 125 or higher his trade value will be up.  Of course, he’s only had an ERA+ over 112 once in his career.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

True, but I remember in 2008, all we had to look forward to was the return for Erik Bedard lol.  I kind of pity them. 

57 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

It is pretty funny on both sides because posters are acting like they know what players are being offered and which side is holding up the deal lol.  The reality is, only Getz and Elias know what it will take for the trade to happen.  For all we know the framework has already been agreed to and both guys are waiting to get back from a luxurious winter vacation to make it official. 

They have multiple insiders on that board and everyone seems to just believe anything they say.