Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

The WS board is drooling over Spencer Jones but his profile sounds similar to Fabian.  Maybe a little more of a sure thing but high level athletes with great defense and a lot of power who have a lot of swing and miss in their bat.  Fabian probably has more swing and miss but im not sure they are way different.

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I have no interest in overpaying.  I agree with the first part of your post - let NYY overpay.  I don't agree with trading away the package you suggest for 2 years of Cease.  I'm hoping Elias passes on that.

Cease is a flawed but still very desirable asset.

Not so desirable that I would make any of Holliday, Basallo, Kjerstad, Mayo, and Cowser available for his final 2 arb seasons, but desirable enough that I would be willing to go the volume route with guys who are very good prospects but not really critical to the next few years of Orioles baseball.

Ortiz, Beavers, and Baumann all match that criteria; Povich is debatable, but they want pitching and the deal is going to have to hurt at least a little for us, so I am willing to bite the bullet on including Povich since Baumann alone likely isn't enough on the pitching side. All told, I don't think it's a crazy overpay or anything.

Somebody else probably caves eventually and makes a dumb offer that beats the hypothetical Ortiz/Povich/Beavers/Baumann package rendering this all moot anyway.

Well, extra moot really. We are just some nobodies goofing around on a fan-run message board at the end of the day 😋

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Could 3 Premium Prospects = Ortiz, Cowser, McDermott?

That's three of the Orioles top ten prospects for a pitcher who might pitch like he did in 2023. That's too much for Cease and the White Sox would have to throw in another player to sweeten the pot.

I would not be happy if that is the deal. Cease would need to bounce back from his 2023 season to make it worthwhile.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Cease is a flawed but still very desirable asset.

Not so desirable that I would make any of Holliday, Basallo, Kjerstad, Mayo, and Cowser available for his final 2 arb seasons, but desirable enough that I would be willing to go the volume route with guys who are very good prospects but not really critical to the next few years of Orioles baseball.

Ortiz, Beavers, and Baumann all match that criteria; Povich is debatable, but they want pitching and the deal is going to have to hurt at least a little for us, so I am willing to bite the bullet on including Povich since Baumann alone likely isn't enough on the pitching side. All told, I don't think it's a crazy overpay or anything.

Somebody else probably caves eventually and makes a dumb offer that beats the hypothetical Ortiz/Povich/Beavers/Baumann package rendering this all moot anyway.

Well, extra moot really. We are just some nobodies goofing around on a fan-run message board at the end of the day 😋

Yeah, I'm clearly less interested in Cease than most.  There seems to be a consensus that he will be more like he was in 2022 than 2023, and I'm just not on board with that.  He does make a lot of starts, but rarely goes 6+ innings, so he's not as much of a help to our bullpen as many believe, IMO.  I also value Ortiz more than others do, apparently.  I'd pull Ortiz and Povich from your proposal and add in Norby.  Norby, Beavers, and Baumann.  I think that's a good package.  If a reasonable deal like that can be worked out, I'd be OK with taking a shot with Cease, but everything I've seen tells me that Getz isn't likely to do that.  Frankly, I have faith that Elias is pursuing other avenues.  I just think we can do better than these proposals I've seen on the internet for Cease. 

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, I'm clearly less interested in Cease than most.  There seems to be a consensus that he will be more like he was in 2022 than 2023, and I'm just not on board with that.  He does make a lot of starts, but rarely goes 6+ innings, so he's not as much of a help to our bullpen as many believe, IMO.  I also value Ortiz more than others do, apparently.  I'd pull Ortiz and Povich from your proposal and add in Norby.  Norby, Beavers, and Baumann.  I think that's a good package.  If a reasonable deal like that can be worked out, I'd be OK with taking a shot with Cease, but everything I've seen tells me that Getz isn't likely to do that.  Frankly, I have faith that Elias is pursuing other avenues.  I just think we can do better than these proposals I've seen on the internet for Cease. 

That’s not a reasonable package for Cease. 

• Upvote 1

I have a bad feeling that the Yankees are going to end up with Cease . I get the sense the white Sox want some young controllable pitching and they could easily give up Clarke Schmidt along with other prospects  maybe not quite as good as the orioles but in the top 100. I sincerely hope I am wrong 

34 minutes ago, ofan239 said:

I have a bad feeling that the Yankees are going to end up with Cease . I get the sense the white Sox want some young controllable pitching and they could easily give up Clarke Schmidt along with other prospects  maybe not quite as good as the orioles but in the top 100. I sincerely hope I am wrong 

Schmidt has the same age and years of control remaining as Kremer. Which could be valuable, but I bet the Sox are looking younger. 

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s not a reasonable package for Cease. 

As I said, it is clear that I'm not as high on Cease as most others seem to be.  In my view, that's the type of trade I'd consider for Cease, and I have no interest in giving up more.  If he goes to NYY or elsewhere, so be it.  I wouldn't lose any sleep.  It all depends on what Elias, Getz, and the GMs of whatever other teams are involved think about this.  My opinion, like yours, doesn't matter.  

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

This won't get it done but it's 100% a fair deal in a vacuum. Exactly what he's worth. 

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Imanaga to Cubs. That’s another one we’ve dodged. So really it’s just Montgomery, Snell, and Cease, on the market. Uwasawa is a name that’s out there. His window ends on this Thursday afternoon. 

The O's are like Neo in the Matrix at dodging spending money.

• Upvote 1

If Cease pitches like he did last year, he'd give up a ton of HRs in Yankee Stadium. I see they are still fixated on Ortiz being a headliner over on the other site. Man, the group think stupidity has taken over there.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

If Cease pitches like he did last year, he'd give up a ton of HRs in Yankee Stadium. I see they are still fixated on Ortiz being a headliner over on the other site. Man, the group think stupidity has taken over there.

Logic is not their strong suit.