Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease (December follow up)?

Frobby

Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Cowser and Ortiz for Cease?

• Yes, and I might be willing to throw in a third lower level prospect
    • Yes, if it’s only those two
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/23 at 21:54

I honestly don't know...so if it's not a no, I guess it's a reluctant yes...but I don't think I'd throw in a third unless it was a non-consequential third. He's an upgrade to the rotation without a doubt. But he's a bit of an enigma. His stuff is amazing, but the walks are troubling...if nothing other than for selfish reasons I'd like a different (at least as good) option for the rotation because the walks would frustrate me so much. 

That said, I do think having a competent defense behind him would certainly help him. I don't think expecting the 2.20 ERA Cease is realistic, but I also don't think this 4.58 ERA Cease was the real Cease. 

28 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I personally wouldn't do it.

If they do it, then they must think higher of Cease than I do.

That would be my take as well. If the Orioles analytics team thinks they can get Cease looking something closer to his 2022 season then it's worth a shot. There's a chance you get the same Dylan Cease as last season and you have to be prepared for that in trading for him.

The White Sox organization is a mess and I have to think the Orioles under Elias can get the best out of Cease. I'd prefer signing a free agent pitcher, but the available pool of pitching talent is only decreasing the longer the Orioles wait to act.

I voted yes if it's only those two prospects.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

23 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I honestly don't know...so if it's not a no, I guess it's a reluctant yes...but I don't think I'd throw in a third unless it was a non-consequential third. He's an upgrade to the rotation without a doubt. But he's a bit of an enigma. His stuff is amazing, but the walks are troubling...if nothing other than for selfish reasons I'd like a different (at least as good) option for the rotation because the walks would frustrate me so much. 

That said, I do think having a competent defense behind him would certainly help him. I don't think expecting the 2.20 ERA Cease is realistic, but I also don't think this 4.58 ERA Cease was the real Cease. 

His FIP the past three years is 3.41, 3.10, 3.72.  I think that's an accurate reflection of the guy.  Good track record, takes the ball, lots of strikeouts.  A Cowser/Ortiz package is fair value for that.  Anything more would probably be too much.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Yes.  He’d slot in as #3 at worst and a #1 at best.  We lost our innings eater horse and need to replace those IP.  His 200+ Ks the last 3 years look great.  I don’t see the O’s signing any FA pitchers of note.  

Off subject a bit, but I’d like to try and get another SP as well.  I’d love to find a way to get Robert’s with Cease and would be OK giving up Mayo or Holliday to do it.  That would free up Mullins/Kremer for a trade for another SP.  

He’s not slotting above G-Rod and Bradish. I’d honestly put Means above him too but that’s more debatable. 

15 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

His FIP the past three years is 3.41, 3.10, 3.72.  I think that's an accurate reflection of the guy.  Good track record, takes the ball, lots of strikeouts.  A Cowser/Ortiz package is fair value for that.  Anything more would probably be too much.

Didn’t someone say XFIP was better

9 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He’s not slotting above G-Rod and Bradish. I’d honestly put Means above him too but that’s more debatable. 

Disagree a bit. I'd expect the O's to do something like this:

Bradish
Cease
Means
Rodriguez (more to do with Cease and Means being veterans, but you also limit Grayson's innings just a hair early on)
Kremer/Hall/Wells/Uwasawa?

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Disagree a bit. I'd expect the O's to do something like this:

Bradish
Cease
Means
Rodriguez (more to do with Cease and Means being veterans, but you also limit Grayson's innings just a hair early on)
Kremer/Hall/Wells/Uwasawa?

I don’t think slotting G-Rod fourth instead of second is going to limit his innings in any meaningful way. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Interesting. Same poll on November 6, 37 said Yes and 62 said no.  This poll is going in the opposite direction.   

Very strange. I had to do a double take to see what I said on the previous thread. Two weeks is an eternity for the OH. However, I still go with the same answer. No, but it's close enough that if Elias pulled the trigger I'd be OK with it. 

2 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

I'd offer Cowser and their choice of Ortiz/Westburg/Norby.  I would definitely throw in a third flier but no one in the top 15.  

The trade makes too much sense not to happen.  

2 top 100….Actually top 50 is too much. You bunch Westburg/Ortiz/Norby….but Ortiz is #50 according to MLB. Norby is likely top 101-120 that use to be top 100 and Westburg was also top 50 but apparently doesn’t qualify based on MLB time.

As a side not we still have 5 of the top 50 but no one in the 51-100.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects

Edited by Roll Tide