Winter Meetings Thread

Roll Tide

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

If you factor in those years it's definitely closer. I'm not sure why, but I just have a gut feeling that someone is going to give Kimbrel a two year deal. If that's the case then it would really swing my favor to Hicks over Kimbrel. 

I can’t see the O’s going 2 but that would swing things towards Hicks.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

There really isn’t much, if anything, in his stats that says “the wheels are bound to fall off soon”

Not a stats driven comment necessarily, mostly just his age (35) and the standard risk of variable year to year performance for relievers (although I don't know if that is empirically justified for older relivers who have a track record of success).  But you're right, checking his Baseball Savant page and the numbers are more impressive than I had realized.   

Kimbrel gave up 7 homers at home last year and 10-11 overall.

I think Savant said his expected homers if all games were played at OPACY was 7.   Might help a little.  He still strikes guys out.  He can’t command sometimes and that’s when it gets scary.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Not a stats driven comment necessarily, mostly just his age (35) and the standard risk of variable year to year performance for relievers (although I don't know if that is empirically justified for older relivers who have a track record of success).  But you're right, checking his Baseball Savant page and the numbers are more impressive than I had realized.   

Age is far less of a concern for relievers, especially on a 1 year deal.

I’d still like Stephenson, Neris or another RH option to be in a setup role and potentially close if Kimbrel can’t cut it. That is perhaps contingent on how much they spend on a SP. If they go the trade route for a SP, maybe there’s budget for a more expensive multi-year RP.

Hope Kimbrel is not getting more than the 1/10 he got last year. The playoffs likely cost him any chance of really topping that.  

Kimbrel is a good move to get us through 162, but shouldn't be viewed as the "stopper" "fireman" that Bautista was.  He's going to blow some saves and probably give up runs sometimes in extra innings.  Bautista was such a weapon in extra innings, and he really propped up Cano in the 2nd half.  Bautista stranded alot of Cano's runners.  

Kimbrel leads me to believe we're not going to pay the price for Luzardo/Cease.  

So, if you sign Kimbrel, you have:

Kimbrel, Wells, Hall, Cano, DC, Tate, Perez and Webb as your 8 man pen unless Hall is sent to AAA to start to begin the season and then go from there.

If Hall does that, you have a spot up for grabs which is likely solved either in house or they bring in some minor league FA type guys and see if they can catch lightning in the bottle again.