What about Mayo?

RZNJ

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday, Adley, Gunnar, Mayo and Basallo is going to be one incredible top 5 in the lineup.

I don’t even like thinking about this because I’m afraid I will jinx it. 

But then we get to the terrible bottom 4 of Kjerstad/Westburg/Cowser/Bradfield!

53 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

That last double he hit was absolutely nuked off the wall and missed being a HR by a foot. 

He looks like Judge standing in the box. He’s a big dude. 

430 eastern he's still on the EV leaderboard for today with real big leaguers:

Top Exit Velocity MPH
144.svg 60 Michael Harris II 110.8
117.svg 60 David Hensley 110.3
115.svg 60 Ryan McMahon 110.3
110.svg 60 Coby Mayo 109.9

Coby Mayo received a text message about his line drive Wednesday off the left-center field fence in Fort Myers. How he punctured the padding and left a hole.

Only a mild exaggeration given the violence of the collision.

Mayo’s ball was clocked at 109.9 mph off the bat. Manager Brandon Hyde marveled at the topspin on it. But recent Mayo talk seems to shift away from his work at the plate.

The Orioles are interested in his play at third base, which is getting solid reviews. This is their second look at him in major league camp.

“He’s improved his defense, which is great to see. I think he’s come a long way defensively,” Hyde said.

“I haven’t seen him take many at-bats, but the power in batting practice is ridiculously impressive. He’s a year older, maybe more mature with another year, but his defense has stood out. He’s made big strides defensively.

That much was apparent Thursday in the top of the second inning when Mayo snared a sharp grounder from Pittsburgh’s Liover Peguero and flashed his plus arm to record the out. That ball could have eaten him alive, but Mayo fed it leather.

“You read and hear about all the success that Mayo had in the minor leagues last year, now you see some of the at-bats that he’s giving you here in the big leagues,” bench coach Fredi González said Monday after serving as manager in a split-squad game in Sarasota.

“I don’t know him real well, but I’ve see an improvement with his bat, I’ve seen a big improvement defensively at third base. That’s fun to see.

Mayo went 0-for-3 Thursday but is 5-for-12 with three doubles, two RBIs and three walks. The .417/.563/.667 line catches the eye.

So, too, does his handling of a position where the Orioles want him to stick. He can play first base and prepared in the offseason for right field, but the hot corner is his current home.

These quotes in Roch's blog this morning about Mayo's defense are really interesting.  Hyde and Gonzalez going out of their way to heap praise on the defensive improvements.  Obviously they are always going to be glowing when they talk about their guys, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but IMO they wouldn't be quite this effusive if there wasn't something genuine to it.

Mayo being able to stick at 3B would be big.  It's going to be so interesting to see how the Orioles navigate this with Westburg.  IIRC Mayo hasn't played anywhere other than 3B so far this spring and Westburg has only played 3B and SS.  I think they can coexist long term with 4 guys Gunnar/Holliday/Westburg/Mayo for 2B/3B/SS, but Westburg and/or Mayo are obviously going to need to play other positions as well or there needs to be a trade.

Love to hear this!  I am not surprised at all to see these positive reports on his defensive improvement. He made great strides last year and it makes sense he’d continue to improve.  This also jives with Tony’s take as well I believe.

Just like people questioned Gunnar being a ML caliber SS several years ago, Mayo has heard the whispers suggesting he will have to move off third and is putting in the work to put that talk to bed. 

They interviewed Coby on the broadcast  today. A couple things of note I took from it. 

Said he felt a little off and the Yankee pitchers did a good job against him today.  Basically that it was not his day today but happy with his hitting thus far.  Ready to put today behind him and get ready for tomorrow.  I thought that showed great maturity and self awareness to have that perspective.

He acknowledged his bat being more advanced than his glove his first couple years.  He said his focus all camp has been putting in work to become a great infielder. Feels like when he’s on at the plate, he is consistently able to drive the ball to either gap. 

Lastly, he said he loved watching Machado and Arenado play while growing up.  Interestingly, he said in today’s game he likes watching Austin Riley.  He noted how much Riley improved defensively at 3rd and all around.  Said it’s cool to watch him play.  He comped himself to the player I’ve used on this board as my comp to him.  Lol.  Love it!

Edited by scarey1999
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

They interviewed Coby on the broadcast  today. A couple things of note I took from it. 

Said he felt a little off and the Yankee pitchers did a good job against him today.  Basically that it was not his day today but happy with his hitting thus far.  Ready to put today behind him and get ready for tomorrow.  I thought that showed great maturity and self awareness to have that perspective.

He acknowledged his bat being more advanced than his glove his first couple years.  He said his focus all camp has been putting in work to become a great infielder. Feels like when he’s on at the plate, he is consistently able to drive the ball to either gap. 

Lastly, he said he loved watching Machado and Arenado play while growing up.  Interestingly, he said in today’s game he likes watching Austin Riley.  He noted how much Riley improved defensively at 3rd and all around.  Said it’s cool to watch him play.  He comped himself to the player I’ve used on this board as my comp to him.  Lol.  Love it!

He has the best attitude.

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

That was a friggin BOMB… love to know the velo on that one.

Elias and Hyde are going to have some tough decisions to make for the Opening Day roster. If Mayo, Stowers and Holliday keep hitting it’s going to be hard to deny them a roster spot. Kjerstad looks ready too and there’s also Norby. Spring Training trades don’t happen often, but it would be nice to trade some of this position talent for pitching. 

I don’t think there is one available, but a veteran plus bat at 1B/DH is at least worth considering. 

• Upvote 1