Birdland Caravan 2024

Seems most events do not allow the ability to get autographs and a lot of events seem more adult oriented. Not a bad thing by any means, I see folks enjoyed the happy hour last year. Just not easy with a young family especially when you don't live in northern area.  

3 hours ago, Justinlstn said:

Seems most events do not allow the ability to get autographs and a lot of events seem more adult oriented. Not a bad thing by any means, I see folks enjoyed the happy hour last year. Just not easy with a young family especially when you don't live in northern area.  

I went to the Caravan in Annapolis in February 2020. It was free, and I was able to individually meet Trey Mancini, Ryan McKenna & Mike Bordick, and get individual autographs & pictures with each of them. What they offer now is not quite as good.

4 hours ago, Justinlstn said:

Seems like none of the events allow autographs, which is a huge bummer. Has anyone been to these happy hour events? If so, how were they? 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, The B&G said:

Seems like none of the events allow autographs, which is a huge bummer. Has anyone been to these happy hour events? If so, how were they? 

Had issues with Adley autographs last caravan .So this year you get nothing.

Edited by Going Underground

41 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Had issues with Adley autographs last caravan .So this year you get nothing.

IIRC, there was a contractual issue preventing Adley signing autographs at these types of events.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

IIRC, there was a contractual issue preventing Adley signing autographs at these types of events.

I wonder what the issue was.  While autographs aren't specified, the UPC requires all players to do promotion that will "promote the welfare of the Club or professional baseball".

Baseball Promotion

3.(b)  In addition to his services in connection with the actual playing of baseball, the Player agrees to cooperate with the Club and participate in any and all reasonable promotional activities of the Club and Major League Baseball, which, in the opinion of the Club, will promote the welfare of the Club or professional  baseball, and to observe and comply with all reasonable requirements of the Club respecting conduct and service of its team and its players, at all times whether on or off the field.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I wonder what the issue was.  While autographs aren't specified, the UPC requires all players to do promotion that will "promote the welfare of the Club or professional baseball".

He was under contract to a sports memorabilia company, or something of the sort, that limited him as to when and where he could sign autographs.  I don't recall the exact issue, but it was along those lines.

8 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Is it just me? I really hate the current format.

The fanfest was such a great event for the family. A great way to meet the players and get autographs. Why did they stop and switch to a happy hour setup which sucks!

My guess is it's cheaper.

Do the areas in which they are being held pay the team?

5 minutes ago, Number5 said:

He was under contract to a sports memorabilia company, or something of the sort, that limited him as to when and where he could sign autographs.  I don't recall the exact issue, but it was along those lines.

It's not a hill to die on, I guess, but I would love it if the commissioner's office would tell the memorabilia companies to piss off and put the fans first when it comes to things like FanFest.  If I'm not mistaken, every players has signed the UPC as condition to play professional baseball in the US and it's not exactly like they're hurting for a few extra bucks.  I suspect Manfred could make it stick if he wanted to.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

It's not a hill to die on, I guess, but I would love it if the commissioner's office would tell the memorabilia companies to piss off and put the fans first when it comes to things like FanFest.  If I'm not mistaken, every players has signed the UPC as condition to play professional baseball in the US and it's not exactly like they're hurting for a few extra bucks.  I suspect Manfred could make it stick if he wanted to.

Yeah, I don't think this had anything to do with signing autographs at the ball games.  Just these type of off-the-field events.  Again, I don't recall the exact details, but I do remember that there was a contractual reason he couldn't sign autographs at last year's caravan events.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, I don't think this had anything to do with signing autographs at the ball games.  Just these type of off-the-field events.  Again, I don't recall the exact details, but I do remember that there was a contractual reason he couldn't sign autographs at last year's caravan events.

A little more clarification here. Rutschman is a prolific pre-game signer. I imagine he’ll keep doing that. These agreements don’t stop players from signing autographs. It’s about who is allowed to SELL them. He and O’s aren’t. But an exception was made for the picture cards.

𝐊𝐲𝐥𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐦

@kylegrantham

Replying to @Bill_McK1 and @danconnolly2016

Rutschman has an exclusive auto contract with Fanatics, and with his cards finally hitting Topps major sets in a few weeks, Fanatics said the Orioles either had to buyout a number of autos or he wasn't signing. Don't expect to see him signing pregame any more either

4:50 PM · Jan 31, 2023

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

A little more clarification here. Rutschman is a prolific pre-game signer. I imagine he’ll keep doing that. These agreements don’t stop players from signing autographs. It’s about who is allowed to SELL them. He and O’s aren’t. But an exception was made for the picture cards.

𝐊𝐲𝐥𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐦

@kylegrantham

Replying to @Bill_McK1 and @danconnolly2016

Rutschman has an exclusive auto contract with Fanatics, and with his cards finally hitting Topps major sets in a few weeks, Fanatics said the Orioles either had to buyout a number of autos or he wasn't signing. Don't expect to see him signing pregame any more either

4:50 PM · Jan 31, 2023

So the O's could have signed a check and cleared up the issue?

It just seems short sighted by the team which they tend to do a lot. Things like fan fest are great for younger audience which is what you want in reaching your next generation of fans. Events like the caravan target audience of 20+ fans that are already supporting the team. But I agree this is strictly a money driven decision which has JA written all over it. Fanfest costs money, where caravan probably turns a small profit. Again the caravan isn't a bad thing, I like it but not as a replacement of fanfest.