Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

I remember fantasizing last off-season about the Orioles trading for Corbin Burnes. In those discussions, someone mentioned that we might have a Corbin Burnes type pitcher already on the Orioles in Kyle Bradish. The point made was that they are similar styles of pitcher with their nasty sliders.

If that is the case, then it might be wise to separate them in the rotation rather than allow opponents to adapt to hitting them from seeing similar stuff.

And now that we've had to give up DL Hall, we need another LHP or 2. Our pitching staff is lacking in the left handed department, and we've seen how effective good Left Handed Pitchers can be at Camden Yards from watching Montgomery, Bruce Bochey, and the Rangers dismantle our lineup in the playoffs. Time to make the corrections and win it all!

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

30M dollars a year for Snell would be a terrible idea. I'd much rather they go in on Montgomery.

Yeah, that’s what he wants but what is he actually going to get? His market has not been there so maybe he ends up agreeing to something more reasonable. And the Orioles are appealing on the non-$ factors - well positioned team to win and a great park for LHP.

I don’t think Montgomery is going to be much cheaper, either. It just seems like a foregone conclusion he wants to be back in Texas so I don’t think he’s as likely an option. 

2 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

To circle it all back, the Adam Frazier deal caused Ortiz to stay down most of 2023 for an extra year of team control, giving him extra trade value to get this deal done.

I highly doubt an extra year of control of Ortiz made the difference in acquiring Burnes.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Pretty funny comment at SOSH-

“Yesterday the orioles had the best farm system in baseball. Today the orioles have the best farm system in baseball and Corbin Burnes”

You added a legit TOR starter and didn’t give up a top 5 prospect to do it. I know it’s for one year vs 2 for Cease or 3 for Luzardo but that’s just an incredible, must make deal. It really hurts to lose Hall but you don’t allow what DL hall has been to be the reason you don’t make this trade, no matter what his upside is.

1 minute ago, TradeAngelos said:

A whole 100m payroll?? All the way up to 24th overall!! Definitely no headroom left. God this is going to be a long process with this fanbase. It's going to drive me nuts. 

We all are hoping for a genuinely competetive payroll, but until the rest of the owners have formally signed off on the sale and JA has exited stage left nobody really knows the limits of the O's new reality. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So, just to post a few red flags:

first of all, go look at his 2021 season and in particular, look at his statcast page..it’s incredible.

However, since 2021, his velo is down 1.5 MPH. His K rate has dropped 2 straight years. His Bb rate has jumped a lot. His xERA has gone up a lot, he is missing fewer bats and had an FIp of 3.8 last year.

The only reason I really mention this is the idea of an extension. I don’t think I would go 6-8 years at 30+M for him. He will be 30 the first year of his new deal and he is already showing signs of decline. Now, don’t get me wrong..his stats now are still really good and this was an absolutely amazing trade but I do think you hold off on extension talk until you see him.

I doubt he signs one anyway unless you put really dumb money on the table.

He was arguably the best pitcher in baseball in 2021. 

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Yeah, that’s what he wants but what is he actually going to get? His market has not been there so maybe he ends up agreeing to something more reasonable. And the Orioles are appealing on the non-$ factors - well positioned team to win and a great park for LHP.

I don’t think Montgomery is going to be much cheaper, either. It just seems like a foregone conclusion he wants to be back in Texas so I don’t think he’s as likely an option. 

He's getting 30M a year. Just not for 9 years. The Yankees offered him 30M a year for 5 year I think?

You added a legit TOR starter and didn’t give up a top 5 prospect to do it. I know it’s for one year vs 2 for Cease or 3 for Luzardo but that’s just an incredible, must make deal. It really hurts to lose Hall but you don’t allow what DL hall has been to be the reason you don’t make this trade, no matter what his upside is.

Especially not when you're this close to being a WS team.

DL Hall has some red flags himself.  He was the guy in the O's pitching lab last year desperately trying to find his fastball.  We'll get the pick back in 2025.  I honestly think we just added a Cy Young candidate for a decent reliever and a 26 IF who won't make it.  Really incredible.

• Upvote 1