Orioles close to acquiring Corbin Burnes (Update: Acquired for Joey Ortiz and DL Hall)

ThisIsBirdland

29 minutes ago, scarey1999 said:

We’re at 39 I think unless we were already at 38 prior to the trade? I’d like to see us claim Small. Could be a nice bullpen arm since he seems to have stalled as a SP. He’s had some success out of the pen. 

We were 39 before the trade. The Brewers fans don’t think highly of Small. We already have Coloumbe, Perez, Irvin, Zimmerman, Vespi, and Akin on the 40 man as LH RP. Small looks like he doesn’t make sense on a second look. Probably why Elias didn’t even ask for him. Just seemed odd at first. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

These are not "red flags." His Pitching run value was 96th percentile. Even if he's "fallen" a bit since being the best pitcher in baseball for a few seasons, he was still one of teh best. Look at these numbers:

image.thumb.png.b765d4707e0f1f08e0278a43231d50e2.png

image.thumb.png.c7c673e5877cce6c23f664d2c244dd2f.png

If these are red flags, sign me up for some more red flags!

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952qbsgvzrdlc00sz0oc5

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see that as a solid core group. I see it as potentially good enough but there’s a ton of what if and question marks there.

Wells was always going to the pen, so this isn’t a new addition to the pen. In hoping they can use some of the ML positional depth to add a high leverage reliever.

We need one more high leverage guy.   Still got the resources to go get one. 

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see that as a solid core group. I see it as potentially good enough but there’s a ton of what if and question marks there.

Wells was always going to the pen, so this isn’t a new addition to the pen. In hoping they can use some of the ML positional depth to add a high leverage reliever.

I agree here …. I think we need to replace Hall with another reliever. 

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think fans underestimate the value of the draft picks.

True but given that the Orioles will get a comp pick for a QO offer to Burnes, there is just a small difference in the value of the pick this year vs next year.  

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I assume Wildcard hates this trade.

This is, of course, is a go for the World Championship trade.   Its something that Elias has been looking for.  I am not sure this trade is made with Angelos being majority owner.

I don't agree that  the O's got off cheap.   We will  probably be watching Hall and Ortiz excell for the next 6 years with the Brewers. Long after Burnes is gone from the O's.   Hall's stuff probably makes him a high leverage starter with the Brewers.  It may be rough for  a while but he will learn and be a big asset.    

Ortiz, according to Tony,  was the best SS in the O's organization.  And with regular at bats he probably hits well.   Under Angelos, Hall probably does not get traded and had a good chance to be in the 2025 rotation after spending a year in the pen.   If Ortiz got  traded it would probably have been for a  young player with many years of team control. 

So I don't think the O's got off cheap.   

But its probably a trade Elias had to make.   I hope Burnes stays healthy for 2024.   There is a lot ridlng on his performance.  I will be rooting for him.

Edited by wildcard

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Woke up and was making breakfast for my kid and then I remembered we traded for Burnes. Just started smiling. This is awesome. 

I went to bed early and missed the fun. Hopefully we hear about an extension. And there’s hope as he’s not represented by Boras.

Edited by Roll Tide

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

DL Hall has a lot of friends in that clubhouse. I'm sure it's very bittersweet for them because they don't want to see their friend going to another team. Grayson is one of his absolute his best friends. Grayson, Gunnar, Adley, etc... They're going to miss having the person who is DL Hall around them every day.

Friends? This isn't travel ball or high school. These guys are professionals. It's not like these guys grew up together and have been close since childhood. They all met at work and became "work friends". People change jobs, that's the nature of life.

8 hours ago, bluedog said:

Remember midway through last year when some people were claiming Hall was worth nothing? What a turn around for him to be a centerpiece in a trade for one of the best starters in baseball.

I don't know if I was one of the ones that said that he was worth "nothing". But I most certainly questioned his value. I'm glad it all worked out.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I went to bed early and missed the fun. Hopefully we hear about an extension. And there’s hope as he’s not represented by Boras.

Just speculation but Snell new contract whenever signed should give us a decent guideline for new deal. They are around same age and similar results. Snell is a little more hot and cold.

We traded two guys that were going to start the year in the minors and essentially swapped a 2024 1st rd pick for a 2025 1st rd pick. 

Ortiz - wasn’t going to break camp with Urias and Mateo on the roster.  In 2025+ was going to be the 5th IF behind Gunnar, Holliday, Westburg, and Mayo.

Hall - wasn’t going to break camp with Coloumbe, Perez, and Irvin all on the roster. In 2025+ he was going to be out of options. You can only have so many relievers with no options. He was a luxury that a 100 win team couldn’t afford to continue to develop. In June of 2023, he had to be completely shut down and reworked/rebuilt.

Overall, I’m stunned we didn’t have to give up Cowser or Kjerstad. Even Beavers. Mostly because of what it seemed the market cost was for SP. I wonder what finally broke Milwaukee to make this deal?  The arbitration negotiations for this season?  Even though they did agree to terms. Maybe they made a last ditch best effort to extend him and he rejected.