Jackson Holliday spring training watch

Frobby

This thread is slightly premature, but I figure this is going to be the dominant topic this spring by a wide margin.  So, we may as well start now!   Please post any salient articles and speculation here.  

I’ll kick this off by noting that in a small sample size, Jackson hit .429/.556/.500 last spring in 18 PA, so I guess he gave us a taste of the amazing season that was to follow.   The guys who got “long looks” generally got 45+ PA, so I’ll be watching for Jackson to top that number this spring.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This thread is slightly premature, but I figure this is going to be the dominant topic this spring by a wide margin.  So, we may as well start now!   Please post any salient articles and speculation here.  

I’ll kick this off by noting that in a small sample size, Jackson hit .429/.556/.500 last spring in 18 PA, so I guess he gave us a taste of the amazing season that was to follow.   The guys who got “long looks” generally got 45+ PA, so I’ll be watching for Jackson to top that number this spring.  

On today's episode of As the O's Turn, we'll take a look at Jackson Holliday.  With varying opinions on his abilities at SS, we'll be intently watching to see how he looks there.  With another off-season of physical maturity, could he have improved his range and arm strength to be a strong option at SS, or will he be pegged for now as our future 2B?  Check back tomorrow for another episode of As the O's Turn! 😁

Good topic, btw.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-elias-on-jackson-holliday-orioles-spring-training

Elias discussing Holliday this Spring, “I see Jackson being able to bounce back and forth between second and short, depending on the day’s alignment,” Elias said. “I think you’re going to see him at second base a lot during Spring Training, and I know [manager] Brandon Hyde is going to try to put the kid in a position to make the team and give him a real shot for that.”

Based on his words, Tony's scouting report, and Gunnar's outstanding play at SS, I imagine Elias sees Holliday as a better option at 2B, and capable of playing short as needed.  Again, just speculation on my part, as it's very early in Holliday's career and he may yet become a strong defender at SS, giving Hyde even more flexibility.  With Holliday and many other intriguing things to see unfold, it'll be a very exciting Spring.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Elias is giving me the impression that 2B is Hollidays job to lose.   At this point I’ll be surprised if he’s not on the team OD.    Hopefully, he has a good spring.

Yeah past years featured ML deals for Odor and Frazier, but this year it's been waiver claims for Maton and Soto. Seems like Elias expects Holliday to grab the job.

Looking back at Jeter's draft class, he got the 4th highest bonus as the 6th pick in 1992.    The Orioles gave the highest bonus to 4th pick Jeffrey Hammonds, and were set at shortstop in those days.

As if crash course with Corbin Burnes and share knowledge on catching and Orioles Arms with Samuel Basallo wasn't enough going on, I wonder how much Adley Rutschman and Jackson Holliday have had the opportunity to get acquainted in real life.

Jeter's second full pro season in 1994 was his year climbing the ladder, and even Year 3 in 1995 was 123 AAA and 15 MLB games before 1996 liftoff and that warning track flyball that changed much.

Jackson who makes the Opening Day Orioles would outdo Jeter by 2 years, helped by technology giving very young ballplayers a window to I believe maximize skills at far earlier Ages than 30 years ago even if you happen not to have a Hall of Very Good dad.

Jeter Who Can Actually Field (and sends gift baskets to his wife!) would be a fun player to oppose the Yankees with for 7-17 years.    He'd been a few years retired before Matt's spin through NYY in 2017 when kiddo was 13.

IF Holliday does indeed make the team, where in the lineup would you speculate he'd get most of his AB's?  Would batting lead-off be too much, too soon? Would you ease him into this by batting him in the bottom third of the order? I think it's a matter of time before he finds his way to batting lead off.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

IF Holliday does indeed make the team, where in the lineup would you speculate he'd get most of his AB's?  Would batting lead-off be too much, too soon? Would you ease him into this by batting him in the bottom third of the order? I think it's a matter of time before he finds his way to batting lead off.

Just put him at the bottom until his OBP reaches .350, then move him to the top.  That probably takes 4-6 weeks.  😎

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Jeter is an interesting comp.

If he is Jeter without the poorish SS defense because he’s playing 2B, I would be mover the moon!!! That’s a HOF level player and a guy who was as clutch as they get.

32 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If he is Jeter without the poorish SS defense because he’s playing 2B, I would be mover the moon!!! That’s a HOF level player and a guy who was as clutch as they get.

Yes, I would absolutely take a LHB version of Jeter. Even if his defense is Jeter level mediocre, he has the hit tool to make up for it.