Multiple Choice: Who starts the year in the pen? (Choose only 3)

Greg Pappas

Multiple Choice: Who starts the year in the pen? (Choose only 3)  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Multiple Choice: Who starts the year in the pen? (Choose only 3)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/24/24 at 00:00

Posters assume the following:

• The staff begins the year as Burnes, Bradish, GRod, *Means, and Kremer
  • The pen begins with five locks, in Kimbrel, *Coulombe, Cano, *Perez, and Wells
  • No other pitchers are acquired before the start of the season.

Predict the other three bullpen pieces (multiple choice) that will begin the season in Baltimore. Lefties are noted with an * asterisk. 

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

I was going to add Irvin as a lock, but decided to see if others felt the same.  If Tate is healthy and looks good, he probably makes it as well.  I did mention in another thread that I felt Heasley would make it, but unless he looks phenomenal this Spring (new pitch or new... something LOL), I think he'll head to Norfolk.

Edited by Greg Pappas

One question beyond the issue of who has an option left is who misses bats.

Baker, 27.4 K%, 51 Ks in 45 IPs (10.2 K/9), 4SFB= 95.7

Webb, 24.6 K%, 57 Ks in 53.2 IP (9.5 K/9) 4SFB=94.5 MPH

Baumann, 22.3 K%, 61 Ks in 64.2 IP (8.4 K/9) 4SFB= 96.4 MPH

Tate (2022), 20.5 K%, 60 Ks in 73.2 (7.3 K/9), Sinker = 94.0 MPH

Irvin, 20.2 K%, 68 Ks in 77.1 IP (7.9 K/9), 4SFB= 92.2 MPH

Vespi, Heasley and Akin didn't have enough MLB IP to serve as a reasonable comparison.

The hole in the BP is late innings, high leverage RP who can get you a K when you need it. Baker and Webb appear to be the best options here if you are going by past performance. YMMV.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I only voted for two because I’m not sure of the last guy.

Irvin and Webb

We could see some ST trades too.

I voted for 3 and I’m not sure of any of them although Irvin feels like a lock.   I doubt anyone is sure of their 2nd and 3rd choices.

BTW, how can you say you’re sure of Webb?   I see two spots from among Tate, Baumann, and Webb and I don’t think any of the 3 are sure things.

Edited by RZNJ

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I voted for 3 and I’m not sure of any of them although Irvin feels like a lock.   I doubt anyone is sure of their 2nd and 3rd choices.

BTW, how can you say you’re sure of Webb?   I see two spots from among Tate, Baumann, and Webb and I don’t think any of the 3 are sure things.

I didn’t feel like researching is part of why I stopped at 2.

Webb’s a bit of a gamble.  IIRC his K-BB is fairly strong and his pitch options play well vs R and L.  But that’s just a gut-take and I can be completely wrong on all of it…

5 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I didn’t feel like researching is part of why I stopped at 2.

Webb’s a bit of a gamble.  IIRC his K-BB is fairly strong and his pitch options play well vs R and L.  But that’s just a gut-take and I can be completely wrong on all of it…

Webb’s achilles heel throughout his career is his walk rate.   I picked him as one of my 3 and omitted Baumann but I could see Tate going to Norfolk or even Baumann beating out Webb.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I just looked at Savant for Webb.  I think there’s a path his BB% to improve despite what his track record shows.  But I was wrong with his pitch options.  Only a CH and SW in addition to a 4S.  I thought he had another pitch.

Here’s why I think he BB% can improve:  

1. He throws first pitch strikes at a league average rate

2. He’s in the zone league average.

3. His z-swing% is better than average.  Paired with z-contact% is 10% better than average.  He beats hitters in the zone.

4. Chase rates/contact are league average or better.

SW and CH compliment each other movement wise.  Maybe a pitch to split the MPH gap from 4S to SW/CH ?

Not a bad last BP type though.  But certainly not a lock.

• Upvote 1