Go get ________________________________

Bahama O's Fan

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

For the reasons that I stated in the post: Means and Burnes are gone next year, Bradish may be gone as well, and there are holes in the bullpen. Lorenzen just protects you next year in a variety of ways. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him on a 1-year deal. 

Very logical.  I know Elias prefers the one-year risk profile better, since the pitcher is still pitching for his next contract, so I could see a possible mutual option for the 2nd year being in play.  And, I don't disagree with the one-year approach, mostly because guys need to put up good numbers to get their next deal.  For a two year deal, how they do in 2025 will mean much more than how they do in 2024.  I'd like to think most guys don't really operate this way, but I've seen too many times how certain players regress when they no longer need to work as hard for their next payday.

7 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I still love me some Shane Bieber, but I don't think that's happening......otherwise, it already would have.

I’d still like to sign Montgomery but he’s a Boras guy and there’s a reason nobody else has signed him. Boras is demanding something ludicrous. 

He’d be a great fit here though being a lefty. 

I don’t think we’re making any more significant trades. 

• Upvote 1

I was going to start a poll and a thread to go with it titled, "How Panicked Are We?" Complete with art, and passengers from the movie Airplane displaying various levels of panic.

I think this thread will suffice as a stand in.

And as much as a wanted Dylan Cease over the Hot Stove season, I am not ready to hand over what the ChiSox are asking (which scared all takers away thus far).

As much of a bummer as the injury news is, I am going to have to have to rely on the idea that Elias has a plan or two -- and likely keeping the new ownership group in the loop about potential solutions if Bradish does need surgery or Means needs even more time to heal.

Edited by Orioles West

I think Lorenzen and or Ryu make the most sense here.  I don't really want to give up what the WS want for Cease.

If Elias has been given a big checkbook by new ownership and he could land a Snell or Montgomery on a shorter deal that would be awesome but I just don't see it happening.

We could probably swing a relatively minor trade for Paul Blackburn from the A's. Two years of control and FIP of 3.96. Probably would pitch a lot better on this team. It's not sexy but I'm not really expecting them to get anybody sexy at this point. Just need some bodies. I like having the 2nd year because our rotation is going to get decimated next season. 

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

For the reasons that I stated in the post: Means and Burnes are gone next year, Bradish may be gone as well, and there are holes in the bullpen. Lorenzen just protects you next year in a variety of ways. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him on a 1-year deal. 

I’m not sure that’s the type of protection we should be trying to get. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure that’s the type of protection we should be trying to get. 

Well, whatever happens Elias has his work cut out for him. It's spring training and his rotation is in tatters. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What worries me is that Elias has already known about this.  So the Burnes trade was the reactionary move.  

If Elias made a reactionary move, why wouldn’t his reaction be to NOT pull the trigger on Burnes?

Adding one year of Burnes is adding gasoline to a fire. It’s a move to win-now. Bradish being hurt wouldn’t switch the GM to all-in mode.

The reactionary move to Bradish right now would be to get an innings eater and insurance for Bradish in case he’s out for the year.

Or you don’t make a reactionary move and continue on with business as usual, which is win-now.

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, whatever happens Elias has his work cut out for him. It's spring training and his rotation is in tatters. 

The issue, for me, isn’t just the rotation but the pen all of a sudden looks to be in shambles and it was always the weakest link.

1 hour ago, Winter said:

Bauer and Clevinger for near nothing 

Clevinger is supposed to be a world class cocky & rude D Bag.  Bauer got a bad rep because he was a "disruptor" and did his own thing because he did his own research, experiments, and worked with other outside disruptors; and didn't like being told to do 'the wrong thing', by so called professional coaches, that would hamper his performance.  Now all the things he was doing to train himself and make himself a better pitcher are being implemented and taught by all the best organizations.  He's never gone out and bragged that he was the first, or the best, or the reason the entire pitching industry has changed.  He's reportedly not a cocky or arrogant guy who doesn't get along with others but is someone who will figure out what is the best way to do things and if you go against the science, that he's studied, will stick up for what he believes.  I have a sneaking suspicion the people who have bad things to say about him (in the baseball world) were people who didn't work as hard as he did and were called out for their lack of effort.    I think he'd thrive in our system.  Seems like he'd be the perfect Baltimore chip on his shoulder type of guy.