Santander wants O's extension.

jabba72

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’d consider Santander at 3/$40 mm, assuming we’re talking about 2024-26.   He’d be crazy to take that IMO.  

It would definitely be a huge home town discount extension. I like Santander and wouldn’t mind if the O’s do find a reasonable deal to keep him, but there is a key wild card here — new ownership. We don’t know what the payroll budget is going to look like David Rubenstein and company are in charge. I imagine their first days will be hanging out with Mike Elias and trying to figure out a budget to extend or keep some of the younger stars.

2 hours ago, Orioles West said:

It would definitely be a huge home town discount extension. I like Santander and wouldn’t mind if the O’s do find a reasonable deal to keep him, but there is a key wild card here — new ownership. We don’t know what the payroll budget is going to look like David Rubenstein and company are in charge. I imagine their first days will be hanging out with Mike Elias and trying to figure out a budget to extend or keep some of the younger stars.

Thats a real interesting point. Rubenstein (rumored to be taking over as soon as April) is a wildcard here. He could be a huge Santander fan and order him re-signed. I dont know....im just speculating, but the money will be there next offseason. 

• Upvote 1

Currently Santander is making approximately 12 million per year according to Sporttrac. I would estimate next year he would get to $15 million per year as a progression raise. So if you wanted him for 3 years, offer $45-$50 million.

Truth be told though, if he wanted to leave he could probably get a whole lot more than that. Especially if he has an excellent season this year.

2 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

If he makes it through the season without being traded do you try and get the draft pick by offering a QO? Or do you not take the chance that he'll accept?

He’s going to have to have a really big year to not accept the QO, which will probably be close to 22M.

I really like Santander and really want to win some playoff games this year.  I just don't see it making any sense to bring him back with Kjerstad in line to take over his role next year.  I think the biggest question mark is can Elias just let someone with his talent walk at the end of the year with no compensation of a QO pick or prospects via trade.  Doesn't feel like the type of operation Elias is going to be running here.  Deadline will be interesting this year. 

This will be Santander's one shot at a big contract, so I can't imagine he'll be giving out much of a discount. I don't see where it would make sense to commit that kind of money to him when you have other, younger players that you would ideally like to commit significant resources to. That said, I'd say there's a better than even chance that Kjerstad never becomes the player than Santander is now, so I could easily see him being missed in 2025-2026. It's a gamble you probably have to take though.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:04 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

Zero chance we bring him back. Hope he pops off this year. I’ll root for him the rest of his career depending on what team he signs with. 

*As long as it's not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Blue Jays

Edited by emmett16

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

*As long as it's not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Blue Jays

Really? I honestly don't care if Santander signs with any of those teams. I'm still going to root for him and hope he does well, even in O's games when the outcome isnt being decided by his AB's. I won't exactly root for him in the moment, but at the end of the game if the O's win 6-5 and Santander goes 2-4, I'll live with that outcome.