Peter Angelos has Passed Away

Orioles0615

25 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Although we all disagree with how he did things, he did it his way(Frank Senatra reference for you youngings).  He seemed to live a life fuller than most will ever even dream of and he should be honored for his accomplishments and impact he made not only to the city of Baltimore but the lives he was able to change. 
I won’t allow my selfish want for the Orioles to win championships blind me to the good he did for countless people. 

Good post.

• Upvote 1

It would be disingenuous of me to deny ever having been frustrated with Orioles ownership. That's written with proof on the message board. But there's a better time and place to discuss that.

Right now is about the life of a man, completely... Not just one small microcosm or cherry picking just a couple years of being a franchise owner. Peter Angelos lived a life that was much more than just an owner of the Baltimore Orioles.

I send my condolences out to the Angelos family and all of Peter's friends & associates. It's a time of change,  mourning, and a reflection. No matter how much you may have thought you were mentally prepared to face that impending reality, it's never an easy thing to go through.

We are all complex individuals as human beings. Each of us. Peter was no exception to that. With that said, in this moment I'd like to remember some of the positive things he did for the people of Baltimore and Maryland. He cared alot about Baltimore. 

This is the time of letting bygones be bygones. Whatever wrongs he made, it was what he believed was best for the team. Even hiring Tryft, even firing Miller, Johnson, letting Mussina go, etc. He never tried to sabotage the team to move it, or anything like that. Fans are passionate and get mad when they see what they think are bad moves, but just look around, there are much worse things going on in the world to be mad about.

• Upvote 2

Our relationship to sports owners is strange. Peter Angelos helped a lot of people through his career in law and through his charitable efforts, and also presided over a lot of bad baseball teams. A lot of people in Orioles fandom who are calling his legacy "mixed" would happily sing his unqualified praises if he made his money PRODUCING asbestos or tobacco and then used that money to win a few championships. If we all must face a divine judge after death, I would hope that what we do for people matters more than how many trophies we win. RIP.

• Upvote 2

My orioles fandom started in earnest in 1993. Before then I was too young. Around that time Angelos spent money on Alomar, Palmerio, Surhoff, Wells, Key, Davis, etc and those mid-90s teams were awesome and got me hooked.  As a result I owe a lot of my love for the Orioles to Peter Angelos. I wish there was more good than bad since, but that’s what makes last year, 2012 & 2014 so special. Rest in peace, Peter. 

Nice to see that O's fans here are taking a good attitude about the man about all this. There's a bunch of generally negative things you can say about the guy and his ownership style for the Orioles, but in the greater scheme of things, the positive things he did with his life definitely outweigh those pretty superficial negatives. It probably killed the guy that he had such a bad reputation with the fans for so many years, because by all accounts he actually did genuinely care about Baltimore sports and Maryland in general. He was even instrumental in generating interest and setting a path for getting a football team back into Baltimore, in fact, which was noteworthy at the time considering the NFL had a commissioner who was actively in opposition to there being a football team in Baltimore. It's not totally inconceivable to think that neither the Orioles nor the Ravens franchises would be in Baltimore if it wasn't for Angelos. It's a really horrible shame that he didn't have much of a knack for some of those finer intricacies of running a sports franchise, because in a lot of ways a guy like Peter Angelos is precisely the kind of guy absolutely every team would want as an owner.