Why is the season starting so early

I think they started this last-Thursday-in-March model a few years back, though it had a couple disruptions with covid and the lockout.

I assume mainly to prevent the World Series from extending too late, but without reducing off-days. 

It’s the result of the players negotiating for more days off during the season in the previous CBA negotiation (not the 2022 one).   The O’s also had a March 28 opening day in 2019.   

While Spring training games get real boring towards the end, I'm not a fan of this late March opening. I mean, the weather is not that much nicer in early April, but April just feel right for the start of baseball. 

• Upvote 1

*pushes glasses up*

well technically the season started on March 20th.  ;)

I'm with you in general though that March does seem too early.  I don't want the WS creeping into November either though.  Probably the easiest answer would be to reduce the number of games in the regular season.............but is there any chance the owners would go for that?    Seems pretty unlikely to me.

If there was a way to have MLB year round, I’d be all for it. 

That said, I imagine because the post-season expanded on the back end, they are starting the season earlier to avoid the World Series drifting farther into November.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

*pushes glasses up*

well technically the season started on March 20th.  ;)

I'm with you in general though that March does seem too early.  I don't want the WS creeping into November either though.  Probably the easiest answer would be to reduce the number of games in the regular season.............but is there any chance the owners would go for that?    Seems pretty unlikely to me.

It would be cool if every team opened up with a series in a foreign country. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s the result of the players negotiating for more days off during the season in the previous CBA negotiation (not the 2022 one).   The O’s also had a March 28 opening day in 2019.   

Yep. The union had 4 more off days added to the calendar. 

It wouldn't be much of an issue if they opened March 28th in all warm-weather cities. Baltimore is kind of at the limit of what would be considered southern. Last year they opened March 30th in Boston and it was 38 with a 12 MPH winds. That isn't exactly ideal baseball weather, but might pass for OK in Minnesota.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• And paid Scherzer, and Zimmerman, and Corbin, and Werth.   They didn’t all work out, but nobody could say the Nats didn’t spend to put a winning team on the field during their run.  The run basically ended because Stras II and Corbin blew up in their face.   But there’s always 2019.   
    • I can’t believe that 8 hours after Grayson stepped off the mound, I’m the first person to update his thread.   After a 19-day IL stint and without a rehab stint, Grayson threw 6 innings of one-hit shutout ball last night.  The one hit was an infield squibber hit 59.5 mph off the bat.  His command was a tad shaky at times, as he walked three and hit a batter, but he still breezed through 6 innings on 82 pitches, 50 for strikes.  If it hadn’t been his first outing in three weeks, he certainly could have pitched the 7th inning.  Unfortunately, the bullpen blew it for him. Fastball topped out at 98.4 and he was still hitting 97 in his final inning.  
    • I think half of Fangraphs’ staff over the years came from Lookout Landing.   I rarely read other teams’ sites, but I agree Pinstripe Alley is one of the best Yankee sites.     
    • For one thing, they don’t have Bautista shutting things down in the 9th inning or extra innings.   Second, 30-16 just doesn’t happen every year.  I’m actually pretty encouraged that the O’s have played .650 baseball without winning a disproportionate number of close games.    
    • Four more shutout innings for Chace last night, 2 hits, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts.   His ERA is 0.91, WHiP 1.21, K/9 12.7.   The only blemish is his 5.2 BB/9.   He’s pitched 8 games and has only allowed runs in two of them.   Yesterday he threw 45 of 68 pitches for strikes.  For some reason the O’s kind of have him under wraps, as he’s only been allowed to exceed 70 pitches twice, back in April.  He’s also been kept to four inning outings.  They’re clearly being very careful with the 20-year old (turns 21 in three weeks).  In fairness, they did need to shut him down for a month late last summer, so I’m guessing it’s more season load management than game-by-game decisions.   In any event, it’s been a promising campaign for Chace.    
    • I mean, I don't want to denigrate your experience, but I think you're underestimating the power potential of elite athletes.  The leg strength required to send a grown man 20 mph from a dead stop is the same leg strength required to do a deadlift, or do a squat.  Can your buddy run a 4.5 40?
    • The Orioles were 30-16 in one-run games in 2023. They are 6-6 this year so far. Orioles magic hasn’t been there this year, at least so far. What changed?
  • Popular Contributors