2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

4 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I think the at-bats looked a tiny bit better in Boston if I’m being honest.

I think the decision to play him is much more nuanced than that though, that’s my point (or really, Rosenbaum’s point)

Maybe Hays matches up well with Peralta’s pitch mix or delivery dynamics? Maybe Mounty needs a breather for an unknown reason? Maybe the upcoming sequence of pitchers or off days is contributing? Maybe their bullpen is set up in such a way that Mounty might be highly valuable in a pivotal PH moment later tonight?

She goes into and beyond all of these dynamics. It’s so much more nuanced than our ability to fully assess based off the valuable but limited information that we see. And believe me, I do it to, it’s fun! We’re fans at the end of the day, and they have and will be wrong again with their process. But their process is much more involved than many around here give credit.

He looked good in the PH only because he swung at the first pitch was, amazingly, a strike.  The AB last night was, typically, awful.

Typical Hays AB this season.

1. Swing at a pitch a foot out of the zone for strike one

2. Take a hittable pitch in the SZ for strike two.

3. Swing and miss at a ball one foot outside the zone OR take a pitch in the strike zone for strike three.

4. or make contact and ground out to the left side.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

He looked good in the PH only because he swung at the first pitch was, amazingly, a strike.  The AB last night was, typically, awful.

3. Swing and miss at a ball one foot outside the zone OR take a pitch in the strike zone for strike three.

4. or make contact and ground out to the left side for a double play.

Fixed that for ya...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Boston, Milwaukee and Hays tonight I think has to do with fastballs.

Andrew Bailey famously right now has his Sox shunning the offering.     The Brewers' ace's nickmame is "Fastball Freddy".    Hays likes to hit the heater.

It's about repertoire, not left/right.

Maybe Hays hits a homer or whatever but his 2-2 against Peralta probably came when he was hitting well.  Right now he’s terrible and I would be willing to bet he’s seen his share of fastballs this year.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I had originally written “a bit better” but corrected it to “a tiny bit better” right before posting 🙃

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I had originally written “a bit better” but corrected it to “a tiny bit better” right before posting 🙃

A tiny bit better than awful is still pretty bad in my book.  Lol

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Forget their careers.  Have you been watching Hays’ at bats all year?   That’s how it hurts us.   Maybe he has a good night but he’s currently the worst hitter on the team.   There is no need to give him AB against RH right now, especially on a night with McCann in the lineup too.

Playing Hays isn't a hill I want to die on or anything, but I don't believe in small samples. Benching guys after 28 AB is not a good way to manage. Hays is not going to go from starter to lefty only platoon overnight so I expect to see him one way or another. I'd rather give him a chance to fail than just have him on the bench, if nothing else to try and boost his trade value.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

His awful at-bats are magnified when he's surrounded with players that take significantly better at bats.

Anyway, tonight's lineup isn't all that bad.  I know Adley needs a day off and Hays can't be benched forever.  Cowser hitting #2 while on this heater is good to see.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

His awful at-bats are magnified when he's surrounded with players that take significantly better at bats.

Anyway, tonight's lineup isn't all that bad.  I know Adley needs a day off and Hays can't be benched forever.  Cowser hitting #2 while on this heater is good to see.

Hays is going to start tomorrow.  No need for two starts this weekend.  Worse yet, if he starts all 3 Wildcards prediction will come true.

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Playing Hays isn't a hill I want to die on or anything, but I don't believe in small samples. Benching guys after 28 AB is not a good way to manage. Hays is not going to go from starter to lefty only platoon overnight so I expect to see him one way or another. I'd rather give him a chance to fail than just have him on the bench, if nothing else to try and boost his trade value.

Hyde just benched Hays for the entire Boston series based on the SSS/hot bat of Colton Cowser.  I thought that was pretty good managing.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hyde just benched Hays for the entire Boston series based on the SSS/hot bat of Colton Cowser.  I thought that was pretty good managing.

Thank you. Feels like I’m taking crazy pills. Everyone went nuts about not putting Cowser in the lineup during the Angels series, now we’re hearing “boo-hoo, Hays benched, no fair, small sample size” like MLB is suddenly going to allow 10 men on the field. 

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I am all for Cowser playing. And that is not based on a small sample, that is based on his minor league track record and spring. I am saying if Hays spells Mountcastle or Mullins from time to time I don't especially like it either but I get it. This doesn't appear to be anything more than that.

I was curious what they would do with tonight's lineup, and I have to say... I like it!

Hays has to be given a chance to get out of the slump, and he's also extremely good with his glove + arm so he can help on defense while he works through it. Santander gets to be off his feet, Adley gets a rest and recovery day, and Mountcastle does too while he's still available to Pinch Hit. We have excellent pinch hitters available for this game if needed.

4 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was curious what they would do with tonight's lineup, and I have to say... I like it!

Hays has to be given a chance to get out of the slump, and he's also extremely with his glove + arm so he can help on defense while he works through it. Santander gets to be off his feet, Adley gets a rest and recovery day, and Mountcastle does too while he's still available to Pinch Hit. We have excellent pinch hitters available for this game if needed.

The wizards and sorcerers came up with it. Unless I'm misremembering that Rosenbaum interview.