2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

15 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Anyone surprised to not see Kjerstad starting tonight against a right handset?

Mountcastle has crushed Stripling in their previous matchups, otherwise they might have been able to get Kjerstad in at DH. Also I think we're not yet close to the point of turning Mounty into a strict platoon guy. That means we won't always get every lefty big bat in the lineup vs. righties.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Mayo has a 30% K rate

True.    The comment in the Minors forum the other day I think from Baseball America about his swinging strike rate being good hit me odd as I'd noticed the strikeouts too.

Fangraphs today has him in 2024 IL at 10.9% SwStr%.    That's ~50th percentile, whereas his K% is only about ~20th percentile.    I might give him a little grace on the raw K% number as he's doing well crushing a lot of pitches.

I think Mayo may have a little extra excitement to show himself the best Bat in a lineup with Austin Hays and Jackson Holliday next week.

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Mountcastle has crushed Stripling in their previous matchups, otherwise they might have been able to get Kjerstad in at DH. Also I think we're not yet close to the point of turning Mounty into a strict platoon guy. That means we won't always get every lefty big bat in the lineup vs. righties.

He's hitting better against RHP than LHP this season.

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Mayo v. Holliday might be an interesting debate now for next one back.

3B Urias, 2B Westburg will probably be it - aside from tonight the first 24 games Urias' defensive starts have been exclusively 3B.   

Some of the precise timing also is I think to get Urias or Mateo some extra PA before Yankees, with one of them being set as a starter for that key series.

I don’t think Mateo hits righties at an acceptable enough level to be set as a starter.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Santander w/ a .656 OPS vs RHP. Gotta have him in the 4 hole.

The fact you have an issue with Santander tells me everything I need to know about you. I want you to remember this when Santander ends up .265/30/100 this year

3 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

The fact you have an issue with Santander tells me everything I need to know about you. I want you to remember this when Santander ends up .265/30/100 this year

The only time he's hit .265 was in 2017 over 30 at bats.

He's hit 30 homeruns once.

He's never had 100 rbI.

I don't think it's very likely he manages to do all three this year.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The only time he's hit .265 was in 2017 over 30 at bats.

He's hit 30 homeruns once.

He's never had 100 rbI.

I don't think it's very likely he manages to do all three this year.

He hit 28 Home Runs last season, and he hit 95 RBIs last season and 89 the year before in 2022. Making a bold statement like that, while technically accurate, still feels like hyperbole.

1 minute ago, EdwinRip said:

Not sure why Heston is on the team.  Seems like it’s not the optimal use of a roster spot.

Agreed.  Almost like they were throwing him a bone because he’s stuck in AAA.  Seems obvious that Kjerstad goes when Hays comes back.    

1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

I'm okay if OHearn is in the line up, but not in RF, with this OF depth

If they want to give Santander a DH rest day who would you rather see in RF?

• Upvote 1