2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

If we would somehow win the division and finish with best record in the league I would argue Hyde was a better manager this year then last getting through the adversity and high expectations.  The following plays have been on the IL this year.

Bradish

Efflin

Grod

Means

Kremer 

Bautista

Wells 

Perez 

Coulumbe

Webb

Mcdermott 

Mountcastle 

Mateo

Westburg

Urias

Kjerstadt

Hays

Of course, many of you think I'm biased, and I am. But it doesnt take a genius to see that Mayo needs at bats(he had a sharp sigle yesterday and helped the Orioles have a big inning. He also handled his only chance at 3b with a putout. So why in the hell is Emmanuel Rivera in the lineup today? Mayo Is the future , Rivera is a placeholder. Coby is NOT hurt either. The kid needs to play.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Of course, many of you think I'm biased, and I am. But it doesnt take a genius to see that Mayo needs at bats(he had a sharp sigle yesterday and helped the Orioles have a big inning. He also handled his only chance at 3b with a putout. So why in the hell is Emmanuel Rivera in the lineup today? Mayo Is the future , Rivera is a placeholder. Coby is NOT hurt either. The kid needs to play.

Rivera had a big game that drove the offense in Colorado. Mayo is yet to have one of those. 

Mayo needs to produce and earn PT. Rivera has. 

• Upvote 3

Are we really going to have to put up with this every time Mayo doesn’t start a game?  Geez Roy, you’re practically making me wish that Mayo pulls a hammy or something so that you’ll stop lobbying for him every single game.  

• Upvote 1

I recall being at a Bowie game when Mountcastle was a prospect and saw him botch some easy plays on the left side of the infield, thinking “this guy does not have the glove to play on the dirt in MLB.” Years later, he’s turned into a solid 1B, but never made it on the left side. Mayo is worse now than Mounty was then. He just kills you defensively. I don’t care about Mayo being the future. We’re .5GB of 1st. Give me the lineup that gives us the best chance to win a pennant.

16 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Rivera is a plus defender at 3rd. Mayo is not.  Hyde wants to give Burnes a clean game defensively.

Very much this. 

Our ace is facing the worst offense in recent memory, and he’s been struggling badly. This is the best possible chance to try to get Burnes back on track in a major way. A couple booted ground balls that turn routine outs into traffic on the basepaths would create problems that don’t need to exist. 

As it pertains to the 2024 Orioles, the importance of Coby Mayo’s development pales tremendously next to the importance of getting Corbin Burnes to be Corbin Burnes™️ again. Hyde has to do everything he can to clear the runway for that to happen.

• Upvote 1