Kyle Stowers 2024

Jagwar

Looking at Savant, they have Stowers sprint speed at 28.3.   In 2022 it was 27.0 and in 2023 it was 25.9.   I realize those are based on limited amount of runs, but he does look lighter and faster than I remember in his previous two ML stints.  He always looked like he could catch anything he got to but now he looks like he can get there.  Really starting to think we lose nothing defensively when he’s out there instead of Hays.   I don’t think Hays gets to the ball Cowser caught in the 6th inning.  Maybe Stowers doesn’t either but maybe.  Hays?  No way.

I have to assume it was too painful to swing, otherwise being in his position there’s no way I’m asking out of a game or giving them any reason to take me out.

• Upvote 1

Rk. Player Team Age Position Competitive Runs Bolts HP to 1B Sprint Speed (ft / sec)
1 622761.png Mateo, Jorge  BAL 29 2B 47 19 4.20 30.0
2 676059.png Westburg, Jordan  BAL 25 3B 77 4 4.26 28.9
3 683002.png Henderson, Gunnar  BAL 23 SS 101 6 4.26 28.7
4 702616.png Holliday, Jackson  BAL 20 2B 11     28.7
5 669065.png Stowers, Kyle  BAL 26 LF 11     28.4
6 681297.png Cowser, Colton  BAL 24 LF 70   4.25 28.0

Surprised me the Stowers is actually faster than Cowser who has been filling in for Mullins in CF. This suggests to me he might be playable in CF.

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:
Rk. Player Team Age Position Competitive Runs Bolts HP to 1B Sprint Speed (ft / sec)
1 622761.png Mateo, Jorge  BAL 29 2B 47 19 4.20 30.0
2 676059.png Westburg, Jordan  BAL 25 3B 77 4 4.26 28.9
3 683002.png Henderson, Gunnar  BAL 23 SS 101 6 4.26 28.7
4 702616.png Holliday, Jackson  BAL 20 2B 11     28.7
5 669065.png Stowers, Kyle  BAL 26 LF 11     28.4
6 681297.png Cowser, Colton  BAL 24 LF 70   4.25 28.0

Surprised me the Stowers is actually faster than Cowser who has been filling in for Mullins in CF. This suggests to me he might be playable in CF.

The other takeaway here is that Mullins isn't in the top 6 in sprint speed on the team, which is kind of wild. 

Keep in mind that the sprint speed numbers are averages for competitive runs.  IIRC on broadcast there was instance of Cowser running over 30 ft/sec beating a potential double play grounder. 

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In AAA, Stowers (91.9) had some of the best Adjusted EVs on the team. He's only behind Coby Mayo (who is 5th overall in all of AAA at 93.4) and Holliday (92 MPH) on the Tides. Holliday 69th in all of AAA and Stowers is 80th overall.

• Upvote 2

Once Stowers is healthy, I think it's about time for Cowser and him to at least be splitting playing time evenly if not a lean more toward Stowers. Cowser has had about three good weeks with very little before or since that time. That is not enough for him to be higher on the depth chart than Stowers at this point. 

On 6/10/2024 at 12:34 PM, interloper said:

The other takeaway here is that Mullins isn't in the top 6 in sprint speed on the team, which is kind of wild. 

People get an idea about someone’s speed and don’t adjust their perception as the player ages and slows.  You look at Mullins’ sprint speeds by year and it’s a slow but steady downward projection, which shouldn’t surprise anyone: 29.3, 29.0, 28.6, 28.5, 28.5, 28.0, 27.8.   He’s still in the 67th percentile of all players, but he’s 37th out of 47 among ptlayers listed as CF.  He’s simply not that fast anymore.  He’s got solid instincts both in the field and on the basepaths that allow him to use what speed he has to maximum advantage, but he’s no speedster.   

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

People get an idea about someone’s speed and don’t adjust their perception as the player ages and slows.  You look at Mullins’ sprint speeds by year and it’s a slow but steady downward projection, which shouldn’t surprise anyone: 29.3, 29.0, 28.6, 28.5, 28.5, 28.0, 27.8.   He’s still in the 67th percentile of all players, but he’s 37th out of 47 among ptlayers listed as CF.  He’s simply not that fast anymore.  He’s got solid instincts both in the field and on the basepaths that allow him to use what speed he has to maximum advantage, but he’s no speedster.   

Which was always part of the reason why the thought of extending him never made much sense.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which was always part of the reason why the thought of extending him never made much sense.

Can’t argue with you on that.  It certainly always made sense to wait to see how Mullins aged.  

As an aside, I was just looking at Kevin Pillar.  Never was faster than 28.7, but he’s sat 28.2 now as a 35 year old.  He’s actually gotten faster the last two years.   I’m not sure if that’s a SSS thing or if he has been doing some serious speed training the last couple of offseasons after slowing as he aged.