Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

33 minutes ago, oriole said:

I agree with this. It’s a little confusing why they aren’t giving him more reps at either position. With Westburg, Henderson, and Holliday all presumably being every day players there is literally no where to put Mayo. It’s not even like he’s some kind of defensive asset at 3B. 

Perhaps they are considering giving Westburg time at first.  He is 6'2".  His arm isn't as bad as Mountcastle's but it isn't as good as Mayo's.  He also seems to do well moving around.  That is the only strategy that I can see but that doesn't work while Mountcastle is here.

So, uh, what will it take to get Mayo up here?

Between Santander/Mullins scuffling to start the season, Urias/Mateo being themselves, and O’Hearn being allergic to left handed pitching (at least as far as the O’s brass is concerned), I feel like they could carve out a role for him to play most nights in RF/3B/DH/1B.

31 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

So, uh, what will it take to get Mayo up here?

Between Santander/Mullins scuffling to start the season, Urias/Mateo being themselves, and O’Hearn being allergic to left handed pitching (at least as far as the O’s brass is concerned), I feel like they could carve out a role for him to play most nights in RF/3B/DH/1B.

Urias off the team, probably. Or an injury. Given how much they value Urias' glove, I suspect he'd have to be terrible at the plate all the way through the All-Star break before they'd consider that kind of move.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, deward said:

Urias off the team, probably. Or an injury. Given how much they value Urias' glove, I suspect he'd have to be terrible at the plate all the way through the All-Star break before they'd consider that kind of move.

With Hays and Wells conveniently landing on the IL, I’m curious if Urias might catch the same strain of the flu.

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

He should be in AAA all season and get work at First and OF.  Westburg , Holliday, and Gunnar have spots in the IF.  Mayo is going to need to play first or OF

I agree. He should be taking an intensive course in playing right field as of yesterday.

@Frobby often mentions Mayo’s fielding percentage at 3B when discussing if he believes Mayo can cut it at 3B.  I noticed that Mayo’s up to .937 but I also notIced that Mayo’s 26 games this season compare favorably to Westburg’s 93 minor league games at 3B.

Westburg .944, 132 A, 13 DP, 2.11 RF/9

Mayo .937, 52 A, 7 DP, 2.85 RF/9

This isn’t to say Mayo would be better but, statistically, he’s racking up more assists and DP’s per game.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

@Frobby often mentions Mayo’s fielding percentage at 3B when discussing if he believes Mayo can cut it at 3B.  I noticed that Mayo’s up to .937 but I also notIced that Mayo’s 26 games this season compare favorably to Westburg’s 93 minor league games at 3B.

Westburg .944, 132 A, 13 DP, 2.11 RF/9

Mayo .937, 52 A, 7 DP, 2.85 RF/9

This isn’t to say Mayo would be better but, statistically, he’s racking up more assists and DP’s per game.

Interesting data points.  I’ve always been wary of RF/G because it depends on your pitching staff quite a lot, but that’s not to say it’s completely worthless.  

Mayo goes into depth talking about hitting.  They break down a couple of at bats.  Gives great insight into the kids mentality.  

He is extremely confident.  I actually am beginning to think this guy is going to be a superstar.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching a game today I really do not like his defense.  He is going to kill the pitching staff. He truly is a Devers.  And I can't stand Devers at third.  I think we got to plan on keeping Westburg at third and figure first for Mayo.  The fact they do not really put him at first much makes me nervous we are showcasing him to try to get back the most trade value.  If they really planned to use him at first you would expect more starts over there.

Mayo might just be the next Mark Reynolds.  A total hack at third but armed with a massive bat. 

2 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Watching a game today I really do not like his defense.  He is going to kill the pitching staff. He truly is a Devers.  And I can't stand Devers at third.  I think we got to plan on keeping Westburg at third and figure first for Mayo.  The fact they do not really put him at first much makes me nervous we are showcasing him to try to get back the most trade value.  If they really planned to use him at first you would expect more starts over there.

Mayo might just be the next Mark Reynolds.  A total hack at third but armed with a massive bat. 

I don't see how having a guy that isn't good at third play third is showcasing him.

They are showcasing the fact that he's not good over there.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see how having a guy that isn't good at third play third is showcasing him.

They are showcasing the fact that he's not good over there.

Well I am grasping at straws trying to figure out why he is getting so much time at third.  Because right now he looks bad at third.  But what do I know.  Watching Jackson Holliday play second he also is prettty horrible right now also.