Cedric Mullins 2024

DirtyBird

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Melanie said Statcast had that at 65% catch probability (3-star catch).  

So un-romantic 😂. I wonder what the Willie Mays basket catch probability was. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Melanie said Statcast had that at 65% catch probability (3-star catch).  

Does Statcast account for positioning at the time the ball was hit? Sounds like he was shaded towards RCF a bit.

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Does Statcast account for positioning at the time the ball was hit? Sounds like he was shaded towards RCF a bit.

Yes they do.  Basically catch probability is a function of distance needed and hang time, with some extra credit thrown in for catches made going back and on plays near the wall.  

I don’t want to take anything at all away from Cedric, his catch was absolutely splendid, but it was a great deal like this catch, which is one of my favorite plays of all time, and the similarity is close enough that I wanted to share.

And we should never miss a chance to hear Gary Thorne yet again.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t want to take anything at all away from Cedric, his catch was absolutely splendid, but it was a great deal like this catch, which is one of my favorite plays of all time, and the similarity is close enough that I wanted to share.

And we should never miss a chance to hear Gary Thorne yet again.

Mike Bordick went 10 seconds without referencing Chris Davis as the "crusher"?
Awesome catch, but Ced's was better.

Just now, yark14 said:

Mike Bordick went 10 seconds without referencing Chris Davis as the "crusher"?
Awesome catch, but Ced's was better.

I have no idea whether stat cast had anything to say about that catch, I don’t know the running distance or the leaping distance, but they were both amazing catches, and demoralizing for the guy who thought he had an extra bass hit.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have no idea whether stat cast had anything to say about that catch, I don’t know the running distance or the leaping distance, but they were both amazing catches, and demoralizing for the guy who thought he had an extra bass hit.

Was that 2014?  Statcast didn’t exist then. 

Something about Cedric with the bat-- he isn't the biggest exit velocity or line drive guy. But, he pulls the ball more than average and hits the ball in the air more than average.

That combo of qualities can make him look really weak when he's not squaring it up (lots of lazy pop flies). But when he's on, it also gives him his HR power and a lot of his value as a hitter. 

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Something about Cedric with the bat-- he isn't the biggest exit velocity or line drive guy. But, he pulls the ball more than average and hits the ball in the air more than average.

That combo of qualities can make him look really weak when he's not squaring it up (lots of lazy pop flies). But when he's on, it also gives him his HR power and a lot of his value as a hitter. 

His homer today was really a glorified pop fly, but hit in the perfect location, right down the line 345 feet.  Per Statcast, that ball had an xBA of .040 based on EV and launch angle, and yet it would have been a homer in 24 of 30 ballparks.  

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

This was pretty cool too. 28.3 feet per second and covered 70 feet. The play took 4.2 seconds which is fitting on Jackie Robinson day.

Where did you find that info?

It's only somewhat relevant to this post, but that game saving catch in Seattle, and the subsequent game winning home run is quite possibly the most impressive thing I ever saw within one inning of  each other.Cedric Mullins did that. I watched Willie Mays for most of my life...I simply dont think he ever did that...certainly not in extra innings and so close those moments were together.