Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

In the presser Hyde said that they thought the calf was good to go.  So they activated him, then the next day he felt some discomfort again.   Pretty odd / frustrating.

4 hours ago, Aglets said:

In the presser Hyde said that they thought the calf was good to go.  So they activated him, then the next day he felt some discomfort again.   Pretty odd / frustrating.

I find that hard to believe. 

5 hours ago, interloper said:

So then why was he activated? Just keep McKenna for a couple more days. 

I have to wonder if Hays told them it was better than it was so he could get back to the majors and out of the minor league rehab. I'm not saying he did so, just makes me wonder.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to wonder if Hays told them it was better than it was so he could get back to the majors and out of the minor league rehab. I'm not saying he did so, just makes me wonder.

Yeah this was my thoughts. I could see someone who started out terribly, and was getting lapped by a younger guy, say whatever he needed to say to return. Maybe that’s not what happened, maybe I’m just cynical. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

It makes perfect sense.  They wouldn’t have activated him if they didn’t think he was ready to play.  

True, but they have to go by what the player tells them. Who knows, maybe it didn't feel that bad and Hays thought he was good, but after the double he felt something? Calfs and Hamstrings can be tricky. 

I doubt there is anything nefarious to what Hays did and we certainly know the Orioles would not have activated him if he told them there was still some pain. At the same time, maybe Hays' desire to get back to the big leagues clouded his judgement a bit? Seems strange that he would "feel something" the first time he had to go max effort. 

But who knows really? 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

True, but they have to go by what the player tells them. Who knows, maybe it didn't feel that bad and Hays thought he was good, but after the double he felt something? Calfs and Hamstrings can be tricky. 

I doubt there is anything nefarious to what Hays did and we certainly know the Orioles would not have activated him if he told them there was still some pain. At the same time, maybe Hays' desire to get back to the big leagues clouded his judgement a bit? Seems strange that he would "feel something" the first time he had to go max effort. 

But who knows really? 

The way I understood Hyde the calf started bothering him again before the double.  He said something like almost immediately after he was activated he felt pain in his calf and I think also mentioned he would have started the game if not for the pain he felt after he was activated.  I also don't think Hays would tell them he is good if he wasn't but it is kind of frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From what Hyde said postgame, the calf started acting up a little the day Hays was activated and that’s why Hays didn’t start yesterday.  From what Hyde said, it was basically a forgone conclusion that if Hays got on base he’d insert a pinch runner.  So, I don’t think anything particular happened on that play.  I was happy to see Hays stroke one with authority to RCF in any event.  

Here’s part of what Hyde said:

"He's still got a little bit lingering effects in the calf," Hyde said of Hays. "When he was activated, that morning actually there was some soreness. That's why he didn't start today. We wanted to give him an extra day. Today it was a little sore but better. And with an off-day tomorrow, hopefully he's ready to go after the off-day."

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/rutschman-walk-off-home-run-in-ninth-keeps-orioles-sweepless-streak-alive

• Thanks 1

Hays’ leg looks pretty healthy!   And so does the bat!   Two nice strokes to RCF in two at bats since returning.  107.5 mph off the bat tonight.  Great base running too.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hays’ leg looks pretty healthy!   And so does the bat!   Two nice strokes to RCF in two at bats since returning.  107.5 mph off the bat tonight.  Great base running too.  

Yep, he looks a little rejuvenated to me. Crowded clubhouse….. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Huge difference to how he looked prior to the IL stint. Just looks more confident.