Dean Kremer 2024

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Do you think he’s calling the pitches? I don’t …..

i think Dean is a slow starter … his ERA last year was north of six, in 2022 he wasn’t up until June. In 2021 his April ERA was in the 8s. 

Ummm, you do know that pitchers shake off calls right?

2 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Is his curve really "not very good"? I always felt it was a pretty good offering and that it was a bit weird how little he employs it, but maybe I'm wrong--that would certainly explain why he hasn't used it as much! 

Lots of detail about individual pitch offerings on Baseball Savant — link to page on Kremer.

Here is data table on his 2023 pitch types, can see that curveball stands out, particularly BA, SLG and corresponding WOBA xWOBA.  Also quite low whiff% and anemic put away% (Corbin Burnes for comparison gets around 50% whiff% on his curveball).  Watching on TV, pitch appears to have decent spin/movement so perhaps it’s more a matter of hitters picking it up out of his hand or not tunneling well with other pitches.  For overhand curveballs, sometimes it is noticeable to get a bump/hop at pitcher release and therefore something that hitters can distinguish from other pitch types.  (Also note that can see the cutter as effective pitch, but does yield more HRs than Kremer’s other pitches.)

IMG_0015.jpeg

Edited by Say O!
  • Upvote 2

Might be the best control I’ve seen from Kremer.  Really pounded the zone all day.  Last year he was perpetually in 3-2 counts.  Today looked like a different pitcher than that.

32 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

a bit? Henderson should have had 2 errors...and Kremer's own throwing miscue didnt help either...but even that ball should've been caught by Mateo...

How do you figure?   The 2B is getting to the bag so he can pivot and throw back to 1B.  The throw should be, at worst to the bag but preferably to the right of the bag so Mateo doesn’t have to reach back.  That was about 2-3 feet to the SS side of 2B.   One you plant to take the throw, kind of hard to move back to your right.   Mateo is pretty athletic too.   If he was there just to get the force you might have a point but he knew he had to plant and get his momentum back towards 1st for the DP.   

4 hours ago, ScGO's said:

His defense helped him a lot today. Great #5 on a playoff contender

C'mon man.  Pretty much every team could use a starter that pitches like Kremer pitched today.  I would be happy if he was the #3 starter all season if he pitches like he did today.

Ok, I would be even happier if Bradish came back healthy, but a lot of playoff teams don't have a #3 pitcher better than today's Kremer

He was throwing a ton of strikes, fewer than 10 balls in the opening few innings.  A bummer the error let the Pirates into the game.

I noticed same hour Gibson was yielding all the runs in the world to Marlins bats as they got out of the 0-21 challenging scenario.

PNC a great place to watch as always. I didn’t notice it as the play happened and then we were hustling for garage line but heard comments like Rowdy running 1st to 2nd kind of clogged Gunnar’s throw lane on the last play.

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

How do you figure?   The 2B is getting to the bag so he can pivot and throw back to 1B.  The throw should be, at worst to the bag but preferably to the right of the bag so Mateo doesn’t have to reach back.  That was about 2-3 feet to the SS side of 2B.   One you plant to take the throw, kind of hard to move back to your right.   Mateo is pretty athletic too.   If he was there just to get the force you might have a point but he knew he had to plant and get his momentum back towards 1st for the DP.   

I feel like Mateo should have made that catch and I think he shouldn't have worried about making the DP when he saw the throw was left of the bag, it was certainly a ball that could have been caught and he should have just sold out for the force at 2nd. My opinion, anyway.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I feel like Mateo should have made that catch and I think he shouldn't have worried about making the DP when he saw the throw was left of the bag, it was certainly a ball that could have been caught and he should have just sold out for the force at 2nd. My opinion, anyway.

I’ll agree to disagree.  Bottom line.  It was a terrible throw by Kremer.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I’ll agree to disagree.  Bottom line.  It was a terrible throw by Kremer.

It was a bad throw, it was equally as bad a play on Mateo's end for not catching it, he had no chance to turn two but he could have easily caught that ball if he didn't think he had to turn two.