Colton Cowser 2024

I don’t know if he will be as good as Kyle Tucker or not. It seems way too early to tell.

I will say that, Cowser is yet another example of a player not being just at their very best or worst. All of them are somewhere in between.

4 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

I'll put an estimate in on Cowser now for the full season:

AB: 402

H: 110

Avg: .274

2B: 29

3B: 1

HR: 21

RBI: 82

BB + HBP: 51

OBP: .355

SLG: .507

OPS: .862

I don't think he will fully take an everyday role for the 2024 Orioles, which should help his rate stats and reduce his aggregate stats a little, but the HR on Sunday is going to go a long way to keeping him in the lineup full time. The projection I'm least certain taking the over is the BB+HBP total, which draws a lot on his 2023 and MilB patience.

I'm not sure if this will be good enough to get him the ROY, but he should be in the discussion.  These stats are very similar to what Casas posted last season in a much friendlier hitter's environment.

To the bolded, I thought it was quite telling yesterday that O’Hearn who is on a heater was lifted for Urias yesterday, but Cowser was not lifted for Hays. Both would be high average guys lifted for current strugglers.

5 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

If Cowser posted an .862 OPS and we only got him 402 PA, I’d be very disappointed in our management.  By the way, he’s currently on pace for 410 PA despite playing sparingly in the first 8 games of the year.

By the way, here are Luke Scott’s numbers his last year with Houston: 425 PA, .255/.351/.504.   Kinda similar to what you have for Cowser.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

You're right. It's PA. So, he's 8 away.

This gives me the chance to question why rookie eligibility is based on AB, not PA.   It makes no sense at all.  (This doesn’t relate to Cowser, just a general comment.)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

I don't think he will fully take an everyday role for the 2024 Orioles, which should help his rate stats and reduce his aggregate stats a little, but the HR on Sunday is going to go a long way to keeping him in the lineup full time. The projection I'm least certain taking the over is the BB+HBP total, which draws a lot on his 2023 and MilB patience.

I'm not sure if this will be good enough to get him the ROY, but he should be in the discussion.  These stats are very similar to what Casas posted last season in a much friendlier hitter's environment.

I don't think anyone would dislike with those numbers, but I'd argue if he puts up those numbers, he's going to get more than 402 PAs this year. Probably close to 500 PAs. So what does his numbers project to at 500 PAs?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

This gives me the chance to question why rookie eligibility is based on AB, not PA.   It makes no sense at all.  (This doesn’t relate to Cowser, just a general comment.)

Because rookie criteria was made up a long time ago and it needs to be updated. I'd argue it definitely should be PAs and should be closer to 120 PAs. 

Right now its the easiest a ride the hot hand call gets.    I figure as long as a Games On Base streak is going, he's in, though Cole Ragans lineup this weekend will be a challenge if he's everyday until then.

It would be hard for him to do any worse against Ragans than the lineup did in the first matchup.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Because rookie criteria was made up a long time ago and it needs to be updated. I'd argue it definitely should be PAs and should be closer to 120 PAs. 

Even though the criteria were made up a long time ago, the criterion to qualify for the batting title (3.1 PA per team game played) has always been based on PA.  You’d think they’d be consistent.  Oh well.