I dont know if Im allowed to talk about the Tides on this page....but Stowers is ridiculous and so is Kjerstad

8 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Urias acquitted himself well enough over the last two years and in ST to make the team. He's good enough defensively at all INF positions to have a role for a couple months this spring, and that shouldn't be discounted. He should probably be PH more in close games when the game is on the line. Holliday-Gunnar-Westburg should be your regular starters once Holliday is up, but I don't think they need to rush Mayo up when his defense clearly isn't ready. It doesn't sound like Norby is a legitimate INF candidate defensively.

Kemp will definitely be DFA'd when they decide to bring Holliday up. We can be pissed off about service time manipulation but unless they were just waiting out these early LHP, I think he's going to be down until he can't earn the year back in ROY voting at this point. I guess I'd rather see Kjerstad/Stowers as a bench bat than Kemp, and disregard the LH 2B obsession Elias seemingly has, but then you're really not seeing enough at-bats as a 5th OF on a team.

Mateo they're going to keep.

We agree on some things, but disagree on others.

I agree that Urias of 2022 was a good enough offensive player to get regular/consistent ABs. The problem is, it is now 2024. He was not good enough offensively last year to be a starter. And so far this season, he has had very few even competitive ABs. Our offense is simply not good enough to carry a non-productive player like him, particularly when Mullins and Hays are struggling so bad. We can't have a third of the lineup or more offering nothing in terms of production. That's how we get a week of terrible offensive production like we have had since Sunday (and ps other than last night's starter, when up against pitchers who will be competing for a Cy Young this season).

As to Mayo's defense, he may never get to the point where his defense at 3B is good. But right now his bat is good enough (especially given our current deficiency against LHP). He could get a few starts a week at 3B and some at DH.

The offense is going to have to come from somewhere, especially given the rotation that we have now. In order to be a top level MLB team in the current game, you have to be elite in some facate of the game (offense, starting pitching, bullpen). Right now, we are elite in none of those categories. Meaning there is nothing that we can rely on to carry us consistently over the long haul of the season.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

We agree on some things, but disagree on others.

I agree that Urias of 2022 was a good enough offensive player to get regular/consistent ABs. The problem is, it is now 2024. He was not good enough offensively last year to be a starter. And so far this season, he has had very few even competitive ABs. Our offense is simply not good enough to carry a non-productive player like him, particularly when Mullins and Hays are struggling so bad. We can't have a third of the lineup or more offering nothing in terms of production. That's how we get a week of terrible offensive production like we have had since Sunday (and ps other than last night's starter, when up against pitchers who will be competing for a Cy Young this season).

As to Mayo's defense, he may never get to the point where his defense at 3B is good. But right now his bat is good enough (especially given our current deficiency against LHP). He could get a few starts a week at 3B and some at DH.

The offense is going to have to come from somewhere, especially given the rotation that we have now. In order to be a top level MLB team in the current game, you have to be elite in some facate of the game (offense, starting pitching, bullpen). Right now, we are elite in none of those categories. Meaning there is nothing that we can rely on to carry us consistently over the long haul of the season.

Agree to disagree, it's been 6 games. I just don't think the angst and demand for roster changes is justifiable yet. Shaking up the lineup, giving Cowser more at-bats, pinch hitting for Urias or Hays, I'm all for that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to see Holliday promoted for Kemp before April 15th and for the O's to say it wasn't service time related, that they just wanted to avoid the early LHPs, but I'm not counting on that. I don't see any other moves (like Mayo for Urias) as reasonable after the first week of the season.

46 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I get that it’s too early in the season to move off of guys with an established track record like Hays. My original response to the OP was speaking more to the inability of our decision makers to be decisive overall and seemingly suffering from paralysis by analysis.

However, RIGHT NOW Urias is not a starter on a championship level team. He is a decent player/starter on a bad team or a backup on a good team. Giving regular ABs to guys like him and Mateo while carrying a relative useless player in Kemp. And at the same time guys like Mullins and Hays struggle is too much. And not helpful for winning.

I hope/expect Hays and Mullins to pick it up. And understand them being given a longer leash. 

But of Urias, Mateo, Kemp only ONE of them should be on the team as the 26th man. Mateo’s speed has some value. The other two don’t bring anything useful IMO. 

For now, Holliday could immediately take over as the primary 2B and be fine there defensively. We could find enough playing time for Mayo as a RHH bat (DH and some 3B).

You might want to peruse BBRef and see all of the high quality people who played games for the defending World Champion Texas Rangers in 2023.  There are plenty of guys like Urias, Mateo and Kemp or Hays.  You are tilting at windmills here.  Understand that the players that are now here will have to perform to keep their role.  Like Mountcastle or O'hearn.  

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If you are implying that Elias' plan includes replacing and replicating star level talent at an unprecedented frequency for the history of the game. Then all I can say is I hope that is not true. And if it is, I hope somebody above him/the new owner will put a stop to that. That would be an egomaniac run amuck. I can't see that turning out well for us in the long run.  

I really hope none of this is the case. And I hope that Elias is way to smart and humble to take such an approach.

You seem convinced on one hand that Elias is incompetent for how he runs the team and yet believe on the other that he is too smart to be this stupid.

I most certainly do not think he has created a position that needs an intervention from someone above him.  And no, he isn't and hasn't been perfect.  How the heck did you survive 2016-2018 without going nuts?  

Still no WS flags to fly here since 1983, but getting back to getting one looks a lot like what we have and are doing.  Breathe in, breath out, it's gonna be ok.

Edited by foxfield
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

You might want to peruse BBRef and see all of the high quality people who played games for the defending World Champion Texas Rangers in 2023.  There are plenty of guys like Urias, Mateo and Kemp or Hays.  You are tilting at windmills here.  Understand that the players that are now here will have to perform to keep their role.  Like Mountcastle or O'hearn.  

You seem convinced on one hand that Elias is incompetent for how he runs the team and yet believe on the other that he is too smart to be this stupid.

I most certainly do not think he has created a position that needs an intervention from someone above him.  And no, he isn't and hasn't been perfect.  How the heck did you survive 2016-2018 without going nuts?  

Still no WS flags to fly here since 1983, but getting back to getting one looks a lot like what we have and are doing.  Breathe in, breath out, it's gonna be ok.

To your point about the 2023 Texas Ranger, I don't see any of the players that they gave regular ABs to as bad as Urias is offensively. Maybe Grossman but the replaced him in time for the postseason with Carter. They had an elite offense anchored by elite hitters in Garcia, Semien, and Seager. I hope that the 2024 can be that good of an offensive team, but it's probably not likely.

Now on to your characterization of my comments about Elias. I NEVER said that he was incompetent and don't believe that, so that's just not accurate.

I do have criticisms/critiques. No human is above being critiqued IMO. IMO he has done a wonderful job at helping rebuild the org and his draft/development strategy/system has been par excellent! However, I was very disappointed in the actions last trade deadline and disappointed in the hesitancy to add talent beyond Burnes this offseason. My post that you resonded to was my reaction to another post claim regarding what he feels Elias' modus operandi will be.

As far as how I handled 2016 - 2018 goes - 2016 was obviously rough at the end with the playoff outcome against the Jays and Buck's decision not to use Britton. 2017 was worse and 2018, well I attended the first Sunday home game of the season against the Twins and then no more. 2019- 2021 was horrible and for the first time in my life, watching the Orioles nightly was not really a priority for me.

Oh, I definitely believe it's going to be okay, no matter what! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

So if a prospect is called up for the last 15 games of AAA and starts the next season in AAA...you consider that repeating a level?  That's incorrect by any logical definition.

I know Year 3 Connor Norby does :)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I am glad to see all the position prospects/young players performing well at the plate. (It sure beats the alternative!)

However, I am not particularly impressed to see players who are repeating a level (some for the THIRD) doing well at ANY level. 

IMO our AAA lineup’s early season video game numbers speaks more about Elias’ hoarding talent philosophy/strategy and his extreme caution, more than anything else.

These players success shows that they don’t believe at that level and are not really being challenged from inferior competition, which does not really excite me. The logjam at AAA and our inability/apprehension with getting rid of guys at the Major League level who are not particularly useful for a World Series contender is more concerning to me.

The average OPS in the Int League last year was .794.  Norby was .842.  To say he wasn’t being challenged or was too good for the league is false. 

You could maybe make a case for Stowers who OPSed .954 in an injury shortened season after OPSing .882 in 2022. 

Those are the only two guys repeating.  Look at their K numbers and you’ll see they are being challenged plenty (up until now).  

I think they both are ready to play MLB, but to think they’d be an upgrade right away over someone in the lineup currently is foolish. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The average OPS in the Int League last year was .794.  Norby was .842.  To say he wasn’t being challenged or was too good for the league is false. 

You could maybe make a case for Stowers who OPSed .954 in an injury shortened season after OPSing .882 in 2022. 

Those are the only two guys repeating.  Look at their K numbers and you’ll see they are being challenged plenty (up until now).  

I think they both are ready to play MLB, but to think they’d be an upgrade right away over someone in the lineup currently is foolish. 

I think that they would certainly endure adjustment/acclimation struggles like all of our other (including best/top level) prospects when making the jump to the bigs.

Again when you have big time prospects (like Mayo, Kjerstad, and Holliday) IMO if they are returning to the level that they ended the season, that is a "repeat" to me. Maybe not in Holliday's case because the time was so short.

Furthermore, at Stowers age (and even Kjerstad for that matter) it's kind of like time to either sink or swim as Stowers is into his prime and Kjerstad is right there at that age threshold. IMO prospects 25 and over don't really have any business down in the minor leagues, especially if they have played at that level previously (unless they have already failed at the Major league level and have to return to correct some kind of flaw or make an adjustment).

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

To answer your first question, yes it is hoarding and it also is indicative of a philosophy of asset management that is overly caution IMO.

A Stowers will be what 27 next year? Kjerstad 26? Meaning we get no value (ZERO) for the Orioles during part of their prime. In Stowers case he could be in decline in 2/3 years. 

That is not a great way to handle people/player’s careers. I see a very strong likelihood of repercussions/ripple effect because of this.

What is Stowers trade Value?  What is Kjerstad’s?  It’s not Elias’ job to find these players MLB jobs on other teams. Both Stowers and Kjerstad are slotted into being on next year’s roster. After that, who knows if they are here through 2030, but we have that option. 

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What is Stowers trade Value?  What is Kjerstad’s?  It’s not Elias’ job to find these players MLB jobs on other teams. Both Stowers and Kjerstad are slotted into being on next year’s roster. After that, who knows if they are here through 2030, but we have that option. 

Stowers has no trade value given his age and lack of prospect status. Kjerstad has some trade value given his prospect status but I can’t imagine it holds too much longer given his age.

It’s ethical and the right thing to do for Elias to care about these people’s careers who are a part of his organization. If you are advocating him treating them like disposable trash or pure commodities who are not human beings, we have quite another point of departure. And I am sure that won’t turn out well in the long run. 

As much as analytics/data science plays a role in the modern game of baseball, above all it is a people business.

High offense in the 2023 International League, we did notice opening night the displays of some of the team stats from Norfolk's championship year, and ~4.50 was good for the ERA lead.

2023 Charlotte yielded 965 runs, 2022 Charlotte 957 - they were about -250 both years.     They're some of the mess Chris Getz inherited, not that Getz himself is much different than any given Reinsdorf guy.

Orioles AAA against White Sox AAA these days, there's not much to see.    Just please no one get hurt, and be extra careful if Prelander Berroa is pitching.

McDermott at 40 of 73 strikes and 4/4 K/BB having walked first two guys in the 4th inning.

I hope the White Sox board is reading these names from the AAA tides offensive scorecard last night.
Their organization was the opponent in this game. Just saying…

Edited by Since1984
  • Upvote 1