Samuel Basallo 2024

Just Regular

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

444 ft bomb. He's certainly starting to heat up with the weather and as he gets comfortable in AA. That walk rate is going to start going up as pitchers are not going to want to pitch to him. 

If they start challenging him that could be a reason to move him up. I still think they will put him on the Mayo plan and wait until late August to move him, but he may have something to say about that.

• Upvote 2

It's major 'X' news (formerly known as twitter... there now I feel like a journalist) when Basallo gets pulled out of a game as a precaution.  It also seems like something more common than for other players.  So I did an 'X' search on "Basallo+Removed" and I found 6 instances (4 this year and 2 last year).  So I dug a little bit more...  (Most recent to oldest):

June 15, pulled for a "bruised right ankle"?  He was 0-6 going into extra innings.  He wasn't HBP... so was it a running thing, foul ball?  I don't know.  I didn't watch that game.  But the 0-6 is what stands out to me.

May 21, pulled for blacking a ball and it hitting his Thumb.  He was 2-4 with HR so this one is understandable... but this is the only one that seems 'normal' for "The rest of the players"...

May 19, removed for "Feeling Dizzy".  Was 0-2

May 2, removed for "HBP".  Was 0-2

8/25/23, removed for "Concussion Precautions" after foul tip to the mask.  Was...  0-2

7/22/23, removed for "Leg Muscle Spasms".  Was 0-1

So... I have never been an 18 & 19 YO teenager in another country but it seems to me that they are being VERY cautious with Basallo and pulling him at anything that may impact his health (yes, I am referencing MENTAL & PHYSICAL).  I don't have any other player being handled this gingerly.  

We are all excited about Basallo's ranking and potential, but are we not putting enough reality checks into his ability to stay healthy or his ability to handle challenges?

I think about Willems and he was handled a little carefully that first 1 to 18 months.  But then with Basallo passing him up, he has realized he needs to play hurt.  Ardoin has taken a back seat and hit in face with a FB... he jumped back in ASAP and has played hurt I am certain.  Handley caught a FB in his face mask and wasn't removed for "Concussion Precautions" until he couldn't stand 2 innings later.

So, I don't believe that Basallo has the toughness to stay behind the dish... unless it is truly management protecting their asset more than the others.

The other unknown to me is, does Basallo have any ability to call a good game?  Ardoin has the family legacy and I'm certain his father has had some historical input on game calling/management.  Handley was known to call his own games at Stanford his Sophomore/Junior seasons...   Pavalony had Virginia but I don't know if he called games there.  Willems was out of HS.  With the pitch clock is there enough time to double relay calls from the dugout?

15 hours ago, CHIP said:

It's major 'X' news (formerly known as twitter... there now I feel like a journalist) when Basallo gets pulled out of a game as a precaution.  It also seems like something more common than for other players.  So I did an 'X' search on "Basallo+Removed" and I found 6 instances (4 this year and 2 last year).  So I dug a little bit more...  (Most recent to oldest):

June 15, pulled for a "bruised right ankle"?  He was 0-6 going into extra innings.  He wasn't HBP... so was it a running thing, foul ball?  I don't know.  I didn't watch that game.  But the 0-6 is what stands out to me.

May 21, pulled for blacking a ball and it hitting his Thumb.  He was 2-4 with HR so this one is understandable... but this is the only one that seems 'normal' for "The rest of the players"...

8/25/23, removed for "Concussion Precautions" after foul tip to the mask.  Was...  0-2

So... I have never been an 18 & 19 YO teenager in another country but it seems to me that they are being VERY cautious with Basallo and pulling him at anything that may impact his health (yes, I am referencing MENTAL & PHYSICAL).  I don't have any other player being handled this gingerly.  

We are all excited about Basallo's ranking and potential, but are we not putting enough reality checks into his ability to stay healthy or his ability to handle challenges?

I think about Willems and he was handled a little carefully that first 1 to 18 months.  But then with Basallo passing him up, he has realized he needs to play hurt.  Ardoin has taken a back seat and hit in face with a FB... he jumped back in ASAP and has played hurt I am certain.  Handley caught a FB in his face mask and wasn't removed for "Concussion Precautions" until he couldn't stand 2 innings later.

So, I don't believe that Basallo has the toughness to stay behind the dish... unless it is truly management protecting their asset more than the others.

The other unknown to me is, does Basallo have any ability to call a good game?  Ardoin has the family legacy and I'm certain his father has had some historical input on game calling/management.  Handley was known to call his own games at Stanford his Sophomore/Junior seasons...   Pavalony had Virginia but I don't know if he called games there.  Willems was out of HS.  With the pitch clock is there enough time to double relay calls from the dugout?

CHIP,  you think too much.

We are all excited about Basallo's ranking and potential, but are we not putting enough reality checks into his ability to stay healthy or his ability to handle challenges?”

He’s 19 and in AA and is one of the top 10 prospects in the entire minor leagues.  How’s that for handling challenges?

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, RZNJ said:

CHIP,  you think too much.

We are all excited about Basallo's ranking and potential, but are we not putting enough reality checks into his ability to stay healthy or his ability to handle challenges?”

He’s 19 and in AA and is one of the top 10 prospects in the entire minor leagues.  How’s that for handling challenges?

I'd rather be in the 'thinks too much' crowd rather than the 'doesn't think at all crowd'  Too many people like that in this world

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:13 PM, BohKnowsBmore said:

What's August 13? You going to a game that evening?

I'm in the Atlanta area and Norfolk will be here playing Gwinnett that week.  I'd love the chance to see Basallo play.  Perhaps along with Holliday.  Last year's Norfolk team may have been my alltime favorite O's minor league squad.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:10 PM, CHIP said:

You had a lot of good info in this post then kind of went off the rails a bit for me. Of course the team is going to protect a prospect like Basallo so I'm not sure how you can access that he lacks toughness. Do you think he's asking out? I doubt that. everything I've ever heard about the kid is that he's hungry, baseball smart, and has an incredible work ethic. 

As for calling a game, it's really hard to tell but I haven't noticed anything that stood out to me as terrible. He seems to mix it up well and know what type of pitches to call in what counts to work batters depending on the pitcher's strengths. Also, you have to remember that there will be times that the pitcher and catcher will be instructed to work a pitch more in an inning. 

I've seen nothing that suggests Basallo can not stay behind the plate and in fact, I could see him and Rutschman sharing catching duties sooner than later (2025 maybe) allowing both to stay rested. I can only imagine that duo splitting C/DH duties. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2024 at 12:22 PM, Sports Guy said:

Such an easy kid to root for besides being such an amazing prospect. The Orioles production team really does an outstanding job on these shorts. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2024 at 8:09 PM, Just Regular said:

I like the timing of the video drop this far in advance of the Futures Game midpoint.

Probably just coincidence same day as the leaks Elias might dangle him.      Somebody should post this over on the White Sox board.

Where did you hear that Elias may dangle Basallo in trade? I have a hard time believing that. He's got to be an untouchable.