How much do we REALLY lose(and what do we gain) by replacing Urias at 3b with Mayo...or Norby going to 2b...and Westy back to 3B?

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I know there was a lot of speculation,  but do we know they have asked him to work on anything?  Has anyone seen a change in his swing or whatever in AAA?  Or is mostly about AAA experience before trying to rip the rookie packaging off a second time?

We can never "know" with certainty unless we were present for the conversations that were had.

However, it is likely based on his performance in his brief time on the team and his lack of AAA time altogether, that they have certain things that they want to see improved/worked on before giving it another go.

I too would love to see what Norby would do. I think he has baked long enough. I think his bat would be an asset. However, I fear his future MLB production will be for someone else. Trade him to the A's for one of their relief pitchers. They need offense, although they did pretty well against the back end of our bullpen. (Still stings but I'm getting there and last night helped!!!!!!)

5 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I am with Roy on this one. Urias and Mateo can go. I honestly think Mayo will adjust quickly and be a force. The guy is a Professional hitter. Might end up being better than Holliday.

5 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I am with Roy on this one. Urias and Mateo can go. I honestly think Mayo will adjust quickly and be a force. The guy is a Professional hitter. Might end up being better than Holliday.

And Mayo's strike out and chase rate are both lower than most MLB hitters..In fact, he's NOT a strikeout machine. He doesn't overswing and has a good eye.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

These things aren't decided based on 47 PA.

While I generally agree, Ramon was benched on less than 47 PA. He got like one at bat the first week Holliday was in Baltimore. Holliday was promoted after 50ish at bats in Norfolk. And then subsequently demoted after 35 at bats. 

Clearly Elias had no problem moving Urias into a role where we rarely see him as the plan for Holliday was to on the Orioles and not the Tides for the foreseeable future. Ramon has been on a consistent offensive decline during his tenure here and that has a lot to do with it.

That being said, I’m not sure if Norby is an answer. But I’m curious.  

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

And Mayo's strike out and chase rate are both lower than most MLB hitters..In fact, he's NOT a strikeout machine. He doesn't overswing and has a good eye.

He also takes what the pitcher gives him. Very good situational hitter.

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

That's against robo umps. What until he gets a load of MLB umps.

Leaving aside Westburg's hot start with the bat, I don't see his glove being booted out of the infield regardless of decisions being made about Mayo, Norby and Holliday during the remainder of 2024. 

21 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I get that and respect that you have an affinity for Norby.

However, I believe what is probably a factor in the decision to not bring him up is this - Bringing him up will only serve to make more problems than solutions. If he fails/does not succeed then you have to send him back to AAA and you potentially lower his trade value. But if he succeeds, he is still only going to be here a short while, until Holliday is ready to come up. And then what do you do?

I may be wrong on this. But I struggle to find an upside in a Norby call up. I want him to get his shot at the bigs. But I just don't see a great way of that happening here unless you are willing not to maximize his value you by reducing him to the short side of a platoon player. You are more likely to get more out of his value by using him in a trade for a piece/player that the team needs. 

Oh yea, Norby #1 Fanboy here, I will own that.  I also believe if he comes up and succeeds he will have no problem sticking around.  He has been getting a lot of playing time in AAA playing corner outfield.  If you look at the current lineup we are running out against LHP, you wouldn't prefer Norby on the roster to McKenna? When Hays comes back you can move someone like Urias.  What I am saying is now is the time to get a look at him without having to lose someone, take advantage of it.  Heck, at least if he was up now instead of Kjerstad he would be valuable against LHP, Kjerstad isn't getting any playing time against RHP or LHP. 

• Upvote 1