Could they go with an Opener today and ease Kyle into his first outing of the year?

banks703

10 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Sounds contradictory then that you'd even suggest a chuck & pray approach. Just try to be consistent.

Is that what I advocated for? Or are those your words and what you read into my post?

I think no way today does he face Soto on Batter Faced 20 unless the team is in a very good spot.

If anything tactically tricky occurs today it might be a quick hook for Irvin, or less likely Suarez.

Coulombe and Cano are both 2 days rested and I bet Drew French has already told them today could be one of their earliest entries of the year.

Soto in a big spot in the 4th or 5th inning - would not be shocked if Coulombe was a mid-game closer to try and get Irvin a clean inning to enter.

This is as good as a dress rehearsal can get in May for tournament posture, a skill this player group can use some practice at.

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Is that what I advocated for? Or are those your words and what you read into my post?

You said "no kid gloves, just let him pitch", which, no matter how much back tracking you want to do, is a very haphazard (really just a nice way of saying stupid) approach to handing a pitcher in his situation. 

7 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

You said "no kid gloves, just let him pitch", which, no matter how much back tracking you want to do, is a very haphazard (really just a nice way of saying stupid) approach to handing a pitcher in his situation. 

I’m not backtracking anything. I said what I said.

You read into it, that I was advocating for him to throw 95 pitches (which I pointed out as ridiculous) given how very few of our starters have done that all season. You assumed that I wasn’t familiar with those kinds of injuries. 

What I said was he threw 80 pitches in his last rehab start (which is about standard for starters who are beginning the season in the modern game). What I was suggesting is if his arm can handle 80/85 pitches he should be fine to start today’s game, which is what I imagine the Orioles concludes as well.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who is "he", Akin or Bradish? The opener should be a guy who is matchup proof, like a RHP who is good against lefties. Use him for a couple innings, then you bring in your LHP "starter" in relief, and your opponent is locked into their LHB lineup. I'm not really talking about the Yankees series, just wondering if the O's could do this more. So far it's just Tampa and a few others here and there. 

The Yankees have a bad bench and start the same guys all the time so this might not work for them. The O's could be vulnerable because of the O'Hearn/Mountcastle platoon in the middle of our order. See if someone starts a RHP reliever against us and how Hyde deals with the LHP "starter" in relief! 

Earlier in the thread someone suggested Akin as the opener, so I was referring to that (Akin) as 'he'.  I don't hate the idea of an opener as a concept but I do think a pitcher the caliber of Bradish (and Burnes) should not be moved off of their usual routine, which generally should include pitching the first inning.  If you're starting Irvin or another left hander, and you want to get a few outs from the top of a righty-dominated lineup to get things rolling, I can get on board w/ opening someone like Webb maybe.

3 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Earlier in the thread someone suggested Akin as the opener, so I was referring to that (Akin) as 'he'.  I don't hate the idea of an opener as a concept but I do think a pitcher the caliber of Bradish (and Burnes) should not be moved off of their usual routine, which generally should include pitching the first inning.  If you're starting Irvin or another left hander, and you want to get a few outs from the top of a righty-dominated lineup to get things rolling, I can get on board w/ opening someone like Webb maybe.

Yeah, I said specifically not to do Akin in that role because he has bad splits, the opposite of what you want, especially against the Yanks top 3.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, I said specifically not to do Akin in that role because he has bad splits, the opposite of what you want, especially against the Yanks top 3.

Fair enough, I just re-read your post, and you're right, I misunderstood it.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Counter suggestion - no kid gloves/no babying. If he’s healthy enough to join the rotation just let him pitch. He threw 80 pitches his last outing. That is akin to what guys do in Spring Training. 

If he’s hurt or if the joint has tearing that will eventually require surgery, there’s nothing that you can do to avoid what’s inevitable.

Exactly. I really don't like the Opener or Bullpen game pitching strategy. Let's get it on.

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

I could see them starting Akin as an opener (but I could also see them option him as the corresponding move FOR Kyle). 

Has today’s starter still not been announced?

Bradish wont be effective today.I see him getting hit hard and walking batters too. I dont think he'll make 4 innings..theyre throwing him to the wolves.I would have started Suarez and then gone to Bradish around the 4th inning if Suarez gets bombed .

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Bradish wont be effective today.I see him getting hit hard and walking batters too. I dont think he'll make 4 innings..theyre throwing him to the wolves.I would have started Suarez and then gone to Bradish around the 4th inning if Suarez gets bombed .

Roy reverse jinx in mid-season form today.